Jefferson's Reserve

fricky
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I could use some help in understanding Jefferson's Reserve bottlings. The last bottle that I purchased was clearly marked "15 Years Old". I drank all of it, liked it, and tried to purchase another similar bottle. The current bottling available in Pennslyvania is not marked 15 years old. It contains a tag noting that the age is 13-17 years. Is that a blend of various years? Is the 15 years old bottling still being produced?

The one I picked up recently is labelled "15 years," so I'm not sure what is going on with yours. Do they taste similar? Speaking of the taste of the JR, I find it to be quite an unusual bourbon. I get a powerful scent of pine (maybe even turpentine), which is interesting and quite different than any of my other bourbons. Some find this bourbon objectionable, perhaps overpowering in the wood. I like it (aside from the cork problems, as reported elsewhere).

The original 15 yr old hasn't been bottled for the past couple of years. It was replaced by the 13-17 y/o as well and a second, more affordable Jefferson's edition. Last year, there was talk of a special extra-aged series of Jefferson's (17 yrs and older) but apparently those plans have been delayed or abandoned.

Omar

...Is the 15 years old bottling still being produced?

No, it is not -- almost certainly because the bottler's (not a distiller) supply of that strictly 15yo bourbon has dried up. What used to be called "15 Year Old" is now simply called "Very Old". In fact, some of the transitional bottles have a sticker over the original "15 Year Old" designation, changing it to "Very Old".

My Very Old at the store has a hang tag stating 12-17 years old. Does yours really say 13?

I like the Very Old much better than the 15. It's much smoother.

I found a rather dusty bottle of the 15 year old in a local store this past weekend. I was tempted to pick it up but at about $50 I hesitated. Any thoughts on whether this is worth the $?

Craig

That's about the price I have seen it for and paid as well. If you are interested in collecting bottlings old and new, it may well be worth it. If you just want Jefferson's Reserve, you might want to see if you can find it a little cheaper first.

I had the $50 bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. It is all gone, now. smirk.gif

It was okay, but, I didn't think it was worth the price. I would rather buy another 2004 Stagg (if available), ORVW 15yo, etc., for less money.

For comparison, I felt like it was as good as a good $35 bourbon, but, no better.

I hope this helps. toast.gif

I had the $50 bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. It is all gone, now. smirk.gif

It was okay, but, I didn't think it was worth the price. I would rather buy another 2004 Stagg (if available), ORVW 15yo, etc., for less money.

For comparison, I felt like it was as good as a good $35 bourbon, but, no better.

These are my sentiments as well. It's a good bourbon, but not a $50 bourbon. Instead I'd buy ORVW, or Rock Hill Farms, or Hirsch, or Stagg...

• 2 weeks later...

The 15 is overpriced at $50. I think the Very Old is a much better whiskey between the two.

LeNell-- your website lists these two bottlings of the Jefferson: JEFFERSON SMALL BATCH 8 YR and the JEFFERSON'S RESERVE VERY OLD. It sounds like the very old is the one replacing the 15 and you like it better. But how's the 8 year?

The 8 is much different. No where near as rich and full flavored. It's very light with a low barrel char prolly accounting for that. Trey was around a while back and said the char level was a two which I didn't even know was being used. I tell folks it's a nice hot weather sipper.

Lenell,

Did Trey mention anything about extra-aged expressions (17y and older)?

Thx, Omar

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been so swamped with life I haven't been on the board much. whine whine

My best recollection is that they had hoped for an older version, but older whiskey being in such short supply, they opted for the Very Old designation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.