2002 Stagg & Ebay

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was watching (not bidding) 2 bottles of 2002 Stagg on ebay that closed this morning. One went for $260, the other for $302. That is a pretty good return on a $50 bottle of bourbon.

Yes, but I treasure my 1 unopened bottle of 2002 Stagg FAR too much to sell it. Some things you just don't do.

That news makes me even more annoyed at myself for accidentally opening my one unopened bottle of the 2002, even though I had a nearly full bottle on the shelf.

Would I (in effect) trade one bottle of the 2002 for half a case of Rock Hill Farms or an entire case of, say, Russell's Reserve or Buffalo Trace?

In a heartbeat.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

As you know, Wade, I recently found four bottles of W.L. Weller 19yo for $225 apiece in a KY store where they were $99 a year ago -- which I thought at that time were too dear banghead.gif. So I have $500 in the two bottles I traded Bobby for last fall in exchange for a 6-bottle case of Ridge'wood' Reserve 1792.

The difference is that I've tasted the original RR -- and still have an open bottle -- while I may never dare open the '02 Stagg or Weller 19.

Well my net worth just went up a bit! Rancastle got the last one at the old price! toast.gif

So I have $500 in the two bottles I traded Bobby for last fall in exchange for a 6-bottle case of Ridge'wood' Reserve 1792.

That was and still is in my mind a good trade, I knew going in that the payoff for me will be a bit further down the road, after all <font color="red"> RIDGEWOOD </font> was on the market about 6 months, so who knows, besides Barton and Brown-Forman, how much was sold. That Weller 19 has gone up as much and fast is the surprize to me, I felt it was the weakest entry in Buffalo Traces Antique collection , but someone must like it. I have the equivalent of a little over a hundred dollars worth left and treated Mr Butler to about 25 dollars worth a few weeks back. lol.gif When it is finally gone it will mean nothing to me because I wasn't "Wowed" by it, I am glad for the experience, however. I will save a drink of it for you Tim, I am remiss for not making that available to you last weekend, at least you will have an idea what's in that other bottle.

The Bottle of 2002 Stagg that Rancastle got will have an interesting career, If you will. He has 4 daughters and plans to have a bottle of each of the 4 editions of Stagg at one or the other of their Weddings. So whichever of his daughters wedding that the 2002 gets pulled out on, and unless I'm wearing a coat made of Kentucky Bluegrass Sod, I'll toast them at that time. It would be hard to find a better use for a bottle of Stagg than that, Enjoy! toast.gif

...That was and still is in my mind a good trade, I knew going in that the payoff for me will be a bit further down the road, after all <font color="red"> RIDGEWOOD </font> was on the market about 6 months, so who knows, besides Barton and Brown-Forman, how much was sold...

I didn't intend to intimate, Bobby, that I thought I got the better of you -- I agree, it was a good, even trade. I've sold a couple of Ridge'wood's for around $80 each, so we just about split value. The difference for me is that I've tasted the one, but not the others.

I didn't take it that way. It's funny, there was a day when I could have laid Weller 19 in like cord wood, but didn't. Oddly I don't regret that at all. It seems that there is a component of really liking the brand and laying it in that is more rewarding than the prospect of a money issue only. Like picking the winner of the Kentucky Derby and making $2.20 on a $2.00 bet rather than picking the "show" horse and raking in $$$$.

Tim,

I actually picked up a bottle of Weller 19yr a couple of years ago for about $60! I've been drinking it! It's worthy of the glass.

As for keeping all of these bottles, why? If you never sell it, and never drink it, and then die, what have you gained. You have actually missed out on one of lifes biggest pleasures. The master distillers didn't want us to bunker these things. A lot of hard work and patience went into producing all these spirits that we ALL find dear in this group.

Drink up I say. Like one of the chip companies said, "Crunch all you want, we'll make more." Same thing goes for whiskey. They will make more. And if not, then you can say you've enjoyed one of the best.

The only bottles that I have unopened are my collectible Jack Daniels bottle. I already know what the whiskey inside tastes like. No real reason open those.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll have a pour of Weller 19 right now.

Ahhhh, nice.....

Oh, and another thought. Let's say we keep all these bottles unopened and DON'T enjoy them. Then let's say something happens to you/us. Our kids or grandkids get them from the estate. They sit down and open a bottle of 30 year (sitting on the shelf) 19yr old Weller. They taste it, hate it, and dump it down the drain!!!! How would that be any good! You missed out on pure pleasure and they dump your heart down the drain!

Barry, I never said I'd never drink my '02 Stagg or Weller 19 -- the folks in Bardstown last weekend can vouch that I'm capable of a splurge in the right circumstance. That circumstance is just not going to happen while I'm sitting in front of the TV, or thinking about the book I'm reading instead of the bourbon in my glass.

I was bidding on the 2 2002-Stagg bottles. My problem is that I am not sure that I will get them thru the Swedish custom if I would get the winning bid. Whith that in mind it is tuff to bid 300 dollars. The bottles went to Australia and GB.I would prefer to test on some little sheper bottle. Do anyone knew if there is any onelinedealers in USA that have 2005-Stagg and are willing to shipp to Sweden?

Try Binny's in Chicago. They said they would ship to me in Japan if I wanted them to. I decided to have my Stagg shipped to my parent's house instead and will pick it up on vacation. Cheaper that way.

Here is a link.

http://www.binnys.com/

Stagg isn't on the web site. Try emailing or calling Brett Pontoni. The address and phone number are on the web page.

I tried another site and they said that they wouldn't ship overseas.

I guess with the weakness of the dollar and the lack of european distribution, we will see an exodus of more Stagg soon.

Mike

Oh, and another thought. Let's say we keep all these bottles unopened and DON'T enjoy them. Then let's say something happens to you/us. Our kids or grandkids get them from the estate. They sit down and open a bottle of 30 year (sitting on the shelf) 19yr old Weller. They taste it, hate it, and dump it down the drain!!!! How would that be any good! You missed out on pure pleasure and they dump your heart down the drain!

Good point! thankyousign.gif

Use the DGonano method. Start training your offspring as soon as they turn 21!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.