Export Only bourbons

AVB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Every once in a while I know somebody going to Japan and give them a list of bourbons to look for. I don't get lucky too often but I have managed an Evan Williams 23 and a Martin Mills 24 recently. Does anybody know of a better way to go about getting export only product?

On a different note, looking for more Hirsch 20 and will pay. If you have one to turn over let's negotiate.

This being my first post if I have breeched any etiquette rules by asking for sources or offering to buy, then a nudge with a pointed stick should be enough to prevent it in the future. I might be a newbie here but I've got around 30 years of bourbon behind me and 50 more in front. grin.gif

Does anybody know of a better way to go about getting export only product?

You can always try The Whisky Exchange . Thru them I´ve managed to get hold of many a "pesky" export item, for instance, FR super premium, JD master distiller, Harper President´s reserve etc.

Problem is, if you are based on the other side of the Atlantic, then I imagine the p&p prices will be of a murderous nature.

I've bought one scotch from them I needed and the shipping was a killer at £35 per bottle. I imagine a bottle of bourbon won't be any different.

• 1 month later...

At the right price I might be willing to give up a bottle or two from my stash. My wife is giving me grief about my bunker-bottles, but I need a decent price to justify losing an unreplaceable bottle.

I've got a friend comming back from Japan in a few weeks.

What sort of 'export only' product is available there?

Do any of the Japan guys know where I'd send him to find them?

Hi Cameron,

I am not sure as I don't know what city they are in now. There are a number of discount chains. The ones I know have pretty big selections including the Japan Only brands. Of course, the ones I really long for are the non-exports that don't make it over here very often...

I can give you a link to a bourbon site that has lots of good bourbon. I haven't ordered from them yet, but will. I am not sure at city it is in, but they will ship inside Japan. The site is mostly in Japanese. But the links take you to a nice picture of the bottle. If nothing else it makes for fun window shopping.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/bourbon2/all.html

Ed toast.gif

I've got a friend comming back from Japan in a few weeks.

What sort of 'export only' product is available there?..

Cam, I'm virtually positive Japan is one of the Wild Turkey 12yo markets (I dearly wish the U.S. was still one! yum.gif). I don't know if you've ever had it, but I've never run across anyone yet that doesn't think it's very fine bourbon.

Oh, yes, the WT 12 is in most well stocked liquior stores here. I saw it in the duty free in the States, too, cheaper than in Japan. In fact, the only time I have bought it was in San Fran's duty free US $35. Japan Duty Free was under forty bucks, at the discount it is around $50.

Depending on the place, Blanton's Gold can be reasonable, when I see it for around $40 I buy it. It can be very expensive in some places.

Olde Saint Nick 8 year old is really good. Not like anything else I have tried. It has a fresh, grassy, nose, taste and finish. A bit more than $25. Today I bought Olde Saint Nick 20 year old, 58% abv. I poured myself a double when I got home. It is the darkest whiskey I have ever had. The freshness is still there but not as strongly. Lots of character from the wood as you would expect, but not, IMHO, too much. I think that they are wheaties, but I have been wrong on that count before. They are both sweet flavorful whiskies. The 20 year old was expensive, $84.

Ed

I'm going to have to get relly friendly with you ED. There are lots of things on my list that I'm sure we could deal on later this year.

I think that Park Ave. Liquors in New York carries the Evan Williams 23 year old. parkaveliquor.com

It will cost you.

The Evan Williman's 23 year, (blue wax) is now available (for sale in the United States) at the Bourbon Heritage Center grin.gifgrin.gif $350.00

Bettye Jo

That's a little steep, don't you think? frown.gif considering the 7 year old sells for under 10 bucks. For that money, they can keep it till hell frezes over.

Joe usflag.gif

Bettye Jo,

At $350 I'm afraid I would have to pass, even if I do someday manage to visit the Center.

I wonder how they decided on such an intimidating price. Is that the price they had to set to keep people from buying it retail and reselling it in Japan at a tidy profit?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I don't have a answer for you, Dave...I work in botlinghouse...They just started the sale of this bottling a little over a month ago.

I collect specific bottlings. If that bottling were on my list of "wants" I would buy it. There is one bottling that I have been looking for for years. Someday, I might be lucky and it will cross my path...When it does, $350.00 will be in the ball park range...On ebay folks pay 2,3 and 4 times that amount for special bottlings. Some deals (in the $$ thousands $$) are bartered and paid for in private!!!! It's in a league of it's own and can hold it's own grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

Dave, Royal Mile Whiskies in the UK have the 23yo for 80.85 GBP (approx US $265 I think)

I don't know what the import taxes into the US are...but maybe this is a cheaper option?

Actually, that probably isn't that much cheaper crazy.gif

I just checked the Park Ave. Liqour website which has it listed for $250. Not sure where they got it from or what label it is. Just search their website for Evan Williams and it will come up. Still too rich for me.

Royal Mile will deliver for £97.85 which is about $178 plus whatever surcharge your credit card company places on an overseas order. I've spent thousands there so if you do order tell Arthur Motley that R.J. sent you. Some of the best customer service I've ever had came from Royal Mile. grin.gif

Some of the best customer service I've ever had came from Royal Mile

I couldn't agree more. When I was in Scotland and England (respectively) both stores has exceptional customer service.

Last month when I contacted them to hold a bottle of 13yo Van Winkle Rye for my Fiance' to pick up on her work trip. The person I was in email contact with was most polite and informative, but, unfortunately forgot to ask the store to hold it for me frown.gif

Why don't you order it direct? £51.03 delivered is about $93. I've never had a problem having their product sent to me. A bottle of 1972 Balvenie Vintage Cask was just delivered last week and that is far more then $93.

(edit)

Well, I can't say if the shipping is as cheap to Oz as it is here. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

About 2 years ago, my father was in France on a business trip. Whenever he goes overseas he has my bourbon list to get anything he can. He found the 23 year and I believe is ended up at about $160 US. Fortunately, I did not have to pay any extra shipping, just for a good cigar and a steak dinner for him. It is an experience to have and is one bottling that is only sipped from on special ocassions. toast.gif

My daughter was in London last year with her mother and went to Royal Mile to buy me a Blanton's Gold for fathers day. She said they were extremely friendly and helpful. I'm taking the same daughter to London and then on to Ireland this July. I plan to stop in at Royal Mile and peruse their selection......and pick something up to enjoy during my travels there.

Randy

Why must there be "Export Only Bourbons" anyway. Shouldn't the finest of the whiskeymakers craft be consumed here in the states, especially for Bourbon, which is a home grown product? soapbox.gif Does greed have no conscience? Demonstration.gif

Joe usflag.gif

I certainly see your point Joe. No reason at all to skip the home market. However, the Japanese market was willing to pay more for premium bourbon at a time the US market wasn't, and still isn't for the most part. I was just amazed at how cheap good bourbon was in the States on my recent vacation home. And bourbon isn't that expensive here compared to older scotch.

The way I look at it is this; a few people are willing to shell out big bucks for the latest, cutting edge electronics. I am happy to let them fund the R&D while the company gets the bugs out so that in a couple of years I can buy a better product than they got at a much lower price than they paid.

Same goes for bourbon. I want to be clear here. I am not arguing with you Joe. There is no reason that any bourbon should be truely "export only." But in a free market the highest bidder gets the goods, be it Blue Mountain coffee, the best tuna or 20 year old whiskey. And don't feel too bad, I have never seen Sazarac 17 year old Rye or Eagle Rare 17 year old on the shelf. Only one Van Winkle product (Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof, great stuff!) Buffalo Trace is rarely available and Knob Creek costs between US $29 (the price I will pay for it) and nearly $50. That is for the regular 750 ml bottle.

Ed

Ed has it correct, the same reasoning applies to Scotch you can buy here and not in Scotland. You go where the market is.

Why must there be "Export Only Bourbons" anyway. Shouldn't the finest of the whiskeymakers craft be consumed here in the states, especially for Bourbon, which is a home grown product? soapbox.gif Does greed have no conscience? Demonstration.gif

Joe usflag.gif

Yes, but why must you take it ALL to the market. Why not at least give a few scraps to the homeland?

Joe usflag.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.