Would this make a good Gazebo tasting?

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6178064452&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Would anyone with greater financial resources and organizational skills than I have care to form a consortium of Gazebo imbibers to bring this bottling to the Festival? grin.gif

If so, I'm good for a share. I'm betting 15 or so of us could chip in and win this sucker.

I've been watching this and will likely make a late bid if it doesn't get out of control. But these usually go for crazy prices and I'm already working on some other treasures.

If someone on the board grabs this, let us know.....we'll be right over!

Randy

I also lack said organizational skills, but count me in as one of the 15 if there is enough interest.

schlep

I guess we missed out on this one. I sometimes go out for a look on ebay for these, but never been lucky. $871! wow Wonder if Pappy rumbles in his grave?

I'da lost that bet! That's about twice what I might have expected 'normal' people to pay for that bottle!

shocked.gif

I went and picked up my items today in Baton Rouge. These items went for what they did because the seller was going to throw in a lot of extras if I won the bid and drove to BR to pick them up. She was afraid of breaking any laws regarding shipping alcoholic beverages....and I offered to pick them up in person. The story behind these items...

The seller's 80 yo aunt's family owns a liquor store in Miss. She worked there most of her life and would buy anything that was unusual or pretty....or didn't sell. Seller's aunt asked her to sell the collection but was hesitant because of laws, etc so she listed only two items and I purchased them. One is the 12yo Very Old Fitzgerald and the other is a half pint of 8yo Very old Fitzgerald in a smaller but identical shaped bottle as the larger bottles. What she "threw in" were three more pristine half pints of Very Old Fitzgerald, a packaged set of glass decanters containing a brandy from Italy and a Ky bourbon....both bottled by Austin Nichols in the late 50's/early 60's as her aunt recalls and misc odds and ends from the '60's. Interestingly, the bourbon isn't called Wild Turkey....just a very simple label stating Kentucky Straight Bourbon bottled by Austin Nichols.

I intend to open the VOFitz 12yo alongside a Van Blankle 12yo, a Weller 12yo and a ORVW 15yo.....maybe later tonight and will post notes.

These half pints of Very Old Fitz are very cool....in small boxes with the original retail price of $2.50 in the mid '60's.

Randy

I've decided to compare the VWSR 12yo Single Barrel to the Very Old Fitzgerald barreled in '51/bottled in '63. Colors are almost identical.....not all that dark for 12yo's. The noses are very different with the VOFitz having some exotic fruit and caramel while the VWSR has a lingering, sweet cotton candy. The caramel and candied fruits show up again the Old Fitz with a drier finish........and the cotton candy, smoothness and sweetness are there in the VWSR SB all the way thru the finish. More wood is evident in the VOFitz too. For some reason, I expected them to be more similar then they are different.

Randy

Congratulations Randy, that's one hell of a find toast.gif So now that you have done a comparative tasting, can you pick a favorite?

My fondness for the single barrel I picked last year probably keeps me from being completely unbiased.....but I'd pick the VWSR 12yo Single Barrel because it's more balanced start to finish and has less woody notes ..... a characteristic I have always preferred over lots of wood. My guess is that the 8yo Very Old Fitzgerald (mine were barreled in '54 bottled in '62) would suit me perfectly.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.