Bourbon Festival Traffic

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

This is a warning for those of you coming to Kentucky for the Bourbon Festival on I65 south bound from Indiana. I65 southbound lanes between I64 (Kennedy Bridge) and 264 (Watterson Expressway) will be closed between Friday morning and Monday Morning. Plan for delays in travel as the detour takes you around the city and traffic is predicted to get very bad in Indiana. The best bet may be to take 265 west in Indiana to I64 and cross at the Sherman-Minton bridge and head towards Shively. This will take you back to I65 where you can geton it again.

Mike Veach

Mike, thanks for the message and without looking at the map tell me if I am correct. I often come down 150 in Indiana, somehow hit 264, and then hit I-65 south. That will avoid this mess, right?

Also, I took 245 from I-65 last time (I actually backtracked as I visited Jim Beam, then came into Bardstown to sample some of the product, discovered the town, the festival, the web-site, and the rest is nearly history - for me anyway). Is 245 my best bet and will there be dozens of cars backed up on it Friday?

Greg

To those heading to Bardstown for the Bourbon Festival, if you want to avoid what is most certainly going to be a wait on I65 South, you might try coming thru Louisville proper and picking up Bardstown Road South. This will bring you all the way into Bardstown and you'll be taking the scenic route. I live in Bardstown but was born in Louisville and will be most happy to offer any help I can. Bj

Wavin'atcha from Bardstown, deep in the heart of Bourbon Country.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg,

Without looking at a map I am not sure that I follow your directions. I65 southbound will be closed between the Ohio River and the Airport on Friday through Monday morning. They will detour the traffic off the Kennedy Bridge on to I64 and put the traffic back on I65 off the Watterson Expressway at the Airport. Indiana has also been doing constrauct just north of the bridge and official are predicting a real traffic nightmare in Jeffersonville, Indiana. That is why I was recommending the use of the I265 to I64 to cross the river further west. Once across the Sherman-Minton bridge and heading towards Shively you will be on the detour route without the traffic in Jeffersonville.

Mike Veach

It has been awhile since I have driven it, but maybe 40 minutes, maybe less. It is actually more direct than taking I-65 so the time is about the same.

One other tip for visitors is that there is an exceptionally beautiful park in the area, Bernheim Woods, which is well worth a visit for a little quiet contemplation of nature. It is a private park open to the public, owned by a foundation endowed with whiskey money from the estate of Issac Bernheim (creator of I.W. Harper bourbon). It is located just across the road from the Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont. You will drive right past it if you take the I-65 route to Bardstown. Just after you leave the expressway, Beam will be on your left and Bernheim Forest will be on your right.

--Chuck Cowdery

I know the area well and I want to second Mike's suggestion. If you are coming South on I-65, you will want to cut west before you get to Jeffersonville, Indiana. Your best bet is I-265, which will take you over to New Albany and connect you with I-64. Take I-64 east across the river. Just after you cross the bridge you will want to take the Watterson Expressway (I-264) south. Follow it around to I-65 and pick up I-65 south again there, or continue on to Bardstown Road, which is US-31.

Spaghetti Junction (where I-65, I-71 and I-64 intersect in downtown Louisville) is a nightmare under the best of circumstances and it sounds like anything you can do to avoid it this weekend will be rewarded.

If you are coming down I-71, you might want to take I-265 south, which you will hit at Worthington, well outside of Louisville. You can take that around to I-65 or get off it onto Bardstown Road, which US-31E (at some point it is also US-150).

--Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.