Bourbon Festival 2000 update

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Just a quick post to let people know what tehy are missing. I just left Bardstown today where I met Linn and his wife Vicky(ie)(I don't know but I need to ask her tomorrow). They had their first experience with Kentucky Burgoo at the Talbot Tavern. I let them have a shot of Weller 107. Vicky(ie) loved it - Linn did not. I then let them try some Early Times Bourbon distilled for the Japanese market. They loved it. They also drank some Old Forester 100 proof. Linn wants a case to take home. We then went to the porch of Spalding Hall where we ran into Jimmy Russell. We talked about the new Russell's Reserve and found out that it will sell for about $26.00 a bottle, that the whiskey is fall 89 and spring 90 bourbon and that we are debating the ethics of opening one of the bottles donated to the auction in order to try it now (I had a hard time convincing them that an empty bottle will not sell very well).

Yesterday Barton Brands hosted a VIP press party at the museum where they showed a new video they filmed that was well made but did not break any new ground on the subject of bourbon. All of the Master Distillers were there as well as drinks writers from around the world. The best part was that the bourbon flowed freely and the conversation was great. Tomorrow will be an even more interesting day.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

As last reported I hooked up with Linn and his lovely wife Vickie on Thursday. Yes Linn was wearing pants. We went to dinner at the Talbot Tavern and Linn and Vickie had Burgoo for the first time. We had a great discussion about bourbon and drank several as we discussed the subject. The next morning I set up for the Heritage seminar and then hooked up with John and Linda. We went to lunch at (you guessed it) the Talbot Tavern. We did several toast to Chuck from my personal stash. The Early Times bourbon was a hit making me regret that B-F does not sell it in the United States. Some where along the line Greg and his wife Jo showed up and also tasted the Early Times with the same regrets about its availability. John and Lew also made an appearance and the bourbon was beginning to flow freely.

The Heritage Seminar went quite well. The questions were all interesting and I put in a personal pitch for a small batch Old Taylor to Fred and Jerry to celebrate 100 years of Bottled in Bond bourbon. It was a blatant pitch and I hope that Jim Beam will follow through with the idea. I would like to see them pay more attention to some of their other brands such as Old Taylor, Old Crow and Old Grand-Dad. There was a great crowd and everybody had a great time. The only hitch came when I took the last question and a retail rep started talking about how great of a product bourbon is and that the distillers need to start charging more for their product when out of nowhere I hear a voice shout "SHUT UP!!!" and yes it was Linn. Max thought we have our first lynching at the festival at that point but the crowd dispersed without an incident.

After the seminar I had some business to attend to at the museum but I later hooked up with John, Linda, Linn and Vickie at John and Linda's Hotel room. We tried several bourbons in their room as well as some peach hootch that Linn brought to the party when we decided to move the party to Linn and Vickie's room that allowed smoking and really needed a good pipe full of my favorite tobacco about then. We drank several more including Old Fitzgerald B-in-B and we finally found a wheat bourbon that Linn would drink. All of this time we were drinking toast to good old Chuck. We followed the drinking with dinner at Dagwood's and once again Chuck was with us in spirits.

The next day was the auction day. Greg and Jo came to my 11:00 A.M. lecture and slide show "From Farmer Distiller to Bourbon Baron: Distilling in the 19th Century" so I did not talk to an empty room even though we did not publicize the talk very well. The auction went very well and the museum exceded its goal for this year. The bottle that brought the most was a Maker's Mark 375ml with blue and white wax ofr the U of K championship in basketball and this was solely because the crowd had to rabid U of K fans bidding against each other. Other products did quite well and I am happy to say that John and Linda are the proud owners of one of the first bottles of Russell's Reserve to be offered to the public. After the auction I went back to Louisville and crashed for the rest of the weekend (This was my vacation from work so I felt I desrved one day of R & R). For other points of view and the details of Sunday's excitement I will let the others fill in the details.

Mike Veach

We seem to be posting in various places but here's my version of KBF 2000 highlights.

Kentucky moonlight, Kentucky music, Kentucky people, Kentucky bourbon -- let's make that fine Kentucky bourbon -- All in one place. All for the enjoyment. Ahhhh, the state should be proud! To sit and sip one of the finest adult beverages on the face of this earth in the town that stands for bourbon is a real pleasure and priviledge. But to also make new friends along the way - friends from Kentucky, from Ohio and Virginia, from Germany and the U.K. while making new discoveries about bourbon and about people - provides a rare treat, indeed! Our trip went a little like this....

Thanks to a delayed plane the night before and delayed traffic (a day early even) Jo and I arrived a wee bit late but still caught much of the master distillers' panel and loved it! That alone is almost worth the trip. I have several pages of notes (all at home due to an early start to the office today) and will post a few tidbits Tuesday. To me one of the most significant topics was the thought that providing a defined numbered rating for bourbons by experts may do the industry some injustice since bourbons provide many varieties and most are worth experiencing. I happen to agree that Pappy Van Winkle is a tremendous experience but it would be a sad day if I focused only on this one product or even this one distiller (sorry, Julian) to the exclusion of the other experiences.

The private tasting with Mike was most generous of him and quite enlightening -- first time I've tasted a version meant only for Japan. Sorry we did not connect with everyone for the motel group tasting but appreciate John & Linda and Mike & Vickie sharing with us later. Hard to say which is better the friendship or the bourbon. Seems the friendship will last longer. Yet, even though we got separated from the group

we took John and Linda's recommendation and had dinner at Dagwood's (just about an hour before the group got there). I've eaten in the best NY and Chicago steak houses plus more and this still ranks as one of the best steaks I've had! Thanks for the tip, guys.

No one has mentioned the music and the Spirit garden. Those of you who've not attended need to know that you don't HAVE to spend hundreds -- you can buy a usually generous shot for about $3 or $5 dependant on the brand (Pappy was $8 but well worth it -- darn it, Julian, I was almost hoping I WOULDN'T like it for my wallet's sake). To sit and sip and listen to some very fine music by six different artists/groups over the three days was also well worth the trip!

The booths were quite nice. While Jo has seen bigger craft shows (not my area) it was nice to pick up some glasswear or wearables here or there. It was great to see Boone from this site in the Heaven Hill booth and kid around with her most of the weekend. From the festival booth there were freebies, posters, and more. My Bourbon Festival 2000 poster will be proudly framed and displayed at home. You got a real sense of genuine folks who are proud of their industry and glad to have you visit. Boy, what a treat!

Nice of Marchin and Whisky magazine from London to do their little sampling contest between rye and bourbon ("B" was the rye). Thanks for the free copy of the publication and the free samples!

Man, bourbon flavored coffee with bourbon flavored syrup and bourbon flavored butter on pancakes with bourbon flavored sausage sure started Saturday out right. Linn and Vickie went off to Labrott and Graham while John, Linda, Jo and I strolled around the booths some more. When J & L departed for their downtown jaunt (all of 2 blocks away, mind you) Jo and I took care of some motel business and hurried back to Mike's talk on distillery history. To learn so much in so little time is a real treat. After we strolled down 3rd street to see the shop windows, our lunch at the Old Talbott Tavern (notice a pattern among straightbourbon.com folks) was superb. By the way our past experience taught us the Old Talbott Tavern also makes a Ky sausage and cheese fondue appetizer that makes a meal in my book and while not easy on the cholesterol level is absolutely wonderful. But this time we chose something else. It was certainly not OUR first time having burgoo but it was definitely delicious and not our last time. Also nice to chat briefly with the writer and photographer from GQ magazine, London edition, there at the Bourbon Bar. Then we had just enough time to get back to the auction. FUN! Linda has all of the prices so I'll not spoil anything she or John want to post. I will say there was no doubt that our colleagues from Japan had plenty to spend at the end and the Getz Museum did well.

While some went off to the gala that evening, we caught up with Linn and Vickie. Then while Vickie rested her tired feet, Linn joined us for food at the festival (real KY bar-b-que) and a bourbon. The strangest thing for me was ordering a beer (which I really like) to wash down the bar-b-que and then thinking how bloating it seemed. We quickly got a glass of bourbon. More music and fun -- and a late night trip to Toddy's Liquor store to check out the selection.

Sunday was a day for sleeping in a bit, breakfast with the out-of-towners from the site (J,L,L,V, me & J), getting air in a flat tire, then getting the tire changed. Met up with Sally VanWinkle Campbell and Julian again and got her book and their autographs inside. Nice people. Good book from what I've read. And agreement with Julian to get with him and see his place. Then a memorable trip with John and Linda to Maker's Mark distillery -- our first but their fourth and third respectively. Black buildings with red shutters set against green hillsides. What a beautiful site. Just enough time left to get some pictures of Heaven Hill's destroyed plant and current Bardstown facilities as well as of Barton Brands' place, say goodbye to Bardtown and hope we visit again very soon.

Thanks, to all. A very memorable weekend.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

We will (John will) eventually be posting many of the pictures from the Festival on our web site but until then I would like to just add that I also had an excellent time and it was a pleasure meeting so many new friends!

Linn and Vickie, Greg and Jo, Mike, Julian, Boone and her sister Connie! and thanks to Glen from Early Times! BrendaJ sorry that we missed you.

Mark...we wish that you could have made it this year!

~Linda~

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Hi Folks!!!!!

It was a great pleasure meeting everyone from this forum! I felt like I knew everybody. I just wish I wasn't so busy that I could have spent more time with all of you.

I can't wait to see some of the pictures that all of you have!

I don't comment much on this forum but I do enjoy reading what you have to say. So, if you have a question about Heaven Hill I will do my best to answer it. Hey, that's what I have been doing all weekend long.

I sincerely hope to hear from all of you very soon!!!

boone

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Boone said, "I can't wait to see some of the pictures that all of you have!"

Don't wait! Here's a picture of you and Connie (just click on the attachment in the message header).

I also want to thank you so much for taking the time to make us feel like family. Heck, folks, she didn't just take the time; she practically ran over people to make us feel at home! But then, Boone doesn't do things real slowly and quietly [big ol' grin]. At least not at the tent. She may not be as wordy as some of us (yet) in the discussions, but when she's "running" her exhibit, she's on stage; and she's about as laid-back as Martina McBride when she's entertaining Heaven Hill guests.

Thanks again, and we're looking forward to hearing more from you here.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

post-2-1448981102888_thumb.jpg

Upon reading my posting last night Jo pointed out that somewhere in here I thanked "Mike and Vickie" for giving us a private bourbon tasting - from their new purchases. Now, I don't want to leave any wrong impressions so let me correct that to "Linn and Vickie." And a big thanks to Mike as well for sharing some of his great private stock!

Greg

Where is Linn? Has anyone heard from Vickie and him? I hope everything is alright.

Connie said "We had more fun than you all did".

Later, from Bourbonville.

boone

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Betty Jo! Vickie & I are just fine. Tell Connie that y'all should have been drinking with the rest of the StraightBourbon.com crew at party central in our room at the Best Western! So much bourbon; so many brands, such small glasses! Ya gotta drink ten of those little suckers just to get properly bourbonized. You & Connie were voted "Most Huggable". Here's some more hugs to hold you for a while - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.