Bourbon Festival 2001

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pam Gover, Executive Director of the Ky. Bourbon Festival, tells me next year's dates are Sept. 12 - 16 (2001). Mark your calendars, pay off your charge cards, sell the kids, and reserve your motel room! For those who don't know, this is weekend in the beautiful small town of Bardstown talking about, tasting, purchasing, and studying the U.S. national spirit - bourbon. Bourbon coffee and pancakes, too!!

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg the best part is blondes on bourbon. This is a special event sponsored by StraightBourbon.com. All blondes are welcome. All blondes with bourbon will be proposed to weather married or not. All blondes with bourbon and tatoos will be violated to the point of extream pleasure.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

My plans are already made for next year. I will be their most of the week before it starts putting the finishing touch on events at the Getz Museum.

My plans are as follows:

Friday: Bourbon Heritage Panel and tailgating with Linn, Vickie, John Linda, Greg, Jo, and whoever else shows up (Looking forward to those steaks!)

Saturday: Talk in the morning (no topic yet - open to suggestions), Master Distillers Auction in the afternoon and the Oscar Getz Academy of American Whiskey in the evening.

Sunday: Sleep late.

Of course there will be some bottles to pour from in between events and you all are welcome to stop by for a drink.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Linda and I always stay at the Best Western General Nelson. It's not as expensive or fancy as some, but it's clean and it has all the ammenities you need, including first rate ownership and staff. And a coffee pot and hair dryer in the room. And a modem connection on the phone. And enough hangers. But the really clear advantage it has over most of the other hotels/motels/b&bs is that its within easy staggering distance of the festival area. You can park your car and never touch it again until you leave. Linn and his wife also stayed here this year. Greg (KitzG) and his wife stayed at the My Old Kentucky Home Motel, which is directly across the street. It's even closer to the festival plus, since you don't have to cross the street you can even crawl back to your room if need be. I don't know about that, though; you'll have to ask Greg.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know there is no official straightbourbon.com headquarters but you are more than welcome to look me up at the Oscar Getz Museum for a shot of Bourbon and I do hope you will come to our tailgate party on Friday night.

Mike Veach

The Old Kentucky Home Motel is what I'd call "basic" - clean but not remodeled for a long time. There did not seem to be a way to control the heat or air conditioning. Forget about hairdriers, the first room we had did not even have a phone until Troy helped us get from the efficiency to a motel room. The best thing about the motel was the great hospitality of Troy Beam, son of David Beam a former assistant master distiller at the Jim Beam Distillery. Therein lies the key to seeing the former Michter's pot still. I think the Best Western General Nelson would make a good headquarters for us since there are more rooms available.

The Oscar Getz Museum should be our daytime HQ and membership in our "club" requires purchase of an OG shot glass - let's help the museum out. Hey, Mike, if the museum wants to spend the money one marketing idea would be for them to order some glasses with each year's date. That way we could start our collection of a glass from each year we attend.

I'm taking responsibility for talking with Jim Butler about getting some "wearables" with "StraightBourbon.com" on them by next September.

Greg

Greg

I believe you may have overlooked my company, ABC Embroidery. I can process the logo and produce it on the wearables that we can wear next year. I will send Jim a message and ask for a release and work out the details.

If you were at the festival you probably have seen my work. I do all of Heaven Hill and Bartons embroidery.

boone

Boone, I did not overlook your talent -- I just had not gotten that far yet (we have until Sept.). I wanted to seed the idea that showing up with a StraightBourbon.com shirt or hat might be really nice. Of course, if you'd like to take over the project, contact Jim and then if he agrees, perhaps take orders over the site that's fine with me.

Yes, I was at the Festival. If you look at John and Linda Lipman's pages (http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey) a picture of my wife and I is just a bit lower than the picture of you and Connie. I guess I should have my feelings hurt that you did not remember Jo -- but I'll bet you just did not associate us with my posting.

I don't know what your costs run on things and the only suggestion I would have is not to get TOO fancy and run the price up. Remember, we all spend our money on bourbon :-)

Greg

Believe it or not, I made reservations today for my room for Sept. 2001 at the Ky Bourbon Festival. If you are at all pickey about your room it is not a bad idea to reserve in advance. Yet, I believe John and Linda said they only reserved about two months in advance. I just happen to like a king bed.

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You can put me down for a T-shirt. I will not be able to wear it at the festival because of the events that I am involved in require a little more formal dress, but I would love to have one.

Mike Veach

To Mike and All: Boone does nice embroidery work. While this takes us a bit beyond t-shirts I've suggested she may want to come up with some items that Jim Butler would agree to that could be straightbourbon.com logo-wear. We'll let Boone take it from here.

Greg

Folks,

I'm very new to the group and don't really expect a vote here but, I would love to have a TShirt with the straightBourbon.com logo from this web site. Graphics are my passion and whoever did this one is verrrry good.

Just a shot,

Bj

Blowin' smoke in Bardstown

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Linn said, "Has anyone seen my pants?"

I think that's what should be embroidered across the back of the shirt.

By the way, I think it SHOULD be a shirt (some ladies don't like caps; everyone wears shirts) and it should be a regular shirt, with buttons and a collar. T-shirts are nice, but I don't want to buy three or four of 'em (make that 6 or 8 for us married folks), and YOU don't want me wearing the same T-shirt through the whole festival, trust me! The logo would look great over the shirt pocket, and the shirt itself could be worn open over a T-shirt.

Of course, we COULD have the "identifiable clothing item" actually BE a pair of pants, but embroidering the logo over the hip pocket would be really painful for Linn.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

• 7 months later...

Greg and all,

Just got the official Kentucky Bourbon Festival brochure in the mail. It shows a schedule of activities from Wednesday, Sept. 12 thru Sunday, Sept. 16, 2001.

There are several events that sound like a lot of fun -- many are free or have minimal admission fees. I'd like some feedback from festival regulars on events with the higher fees, listed below:

* Boots and Bourbon - $30 p/person at the Wild Turkey Sit and Sip Saloon. Evening of BBQ, music, line dancing, etc. Wed. evening.

* Bourbon, Cigars and Jazz -- $60 p/person. Fri. evening.

* Great KY Bourbon Gala -- $125 p/person. Sat. evening.

The Festival brochure has a nice looking bottle of bourbon on the cover with a Bourbon Festival promo label. It reads "A celebration for the Ages", gives the dates of the event, aged 10 years and reads: Bottled in Bardstown, 100 proof.

Does anyone know if this bottle will be for sale? It'd sure make a great souvenir.

Omar

I don't recall Wild Turkey hosting a boots and bourbon party last year. This must be new.-- John and Linda can tell ya more about the gala or just look at thier websight.--There usually is a free concert on Friday night. Last year John Michale Montgomery was the singer. It was sponsored by Independent Stave. Rumor has it that they might skip this year. They spend a lot of money for those concerts seems like others could help with the expense instead of the Boswell's footing all of the bill.-- Ya have to come to the barrel rolling contest on Saturday morning by the swimming pool.--Visit the booths on Spalding Hall grounds.-- Most all of the distillery are set up there.-- You will get to meet the Master Distillers of (almost) each one. Parker and Craig come right after the barrel rolling contest. I saw Jimmy Russell, Elmer T. Lee, Julian VanWinkle was at his sisters booth and several others.---The whole town is geared up for this festival. We are "The Bourbon Capital of the World" and what better place to celebrate than with us!!!!!!!

Places to eat at; Dagwoods*****, B.J.'S Bar and Grill****, Talbot Tavern****

Party place; Sharky's Sports Bar across from the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn

Cheap good eats--Tom Pig's and Hurst Restaurant

Restaurants, Wendy's, McDonalds, Long John Silvers, Rio's, Golden Coral, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Burger King, Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, Moby Dick, Bearano's, Taco Bell, Hunan, The Blue Dragon, Stephen Foster Restaurant, Jone's, Hardee's, El Comino's and Arby's

If you have any question about this area let me know. I was born and raised here and so were all of my folks and all of thier folks and thier folks, folks were from here too. ANDDDDDDDDDD I married a Boone and if it wasn't for the Boone's ya wouldn't be comming to a bourbon festival to start with cause there wouldn't be a Kentucky.

Shootin it Straight in Kentucky, (LOL, Jim)

Lady Line Mechanic,

Heaven Hill Distilleries,

boone

Thanks for the great info Lady Line Mechanic. It's very helpful, as it'll be my first festival.

I hope you guys at HH are open for tours during the fest.

Did you see the festival's bottle on the brochure? Is this for sale?

Omar

I called about the bottle on the brochure. It is not for sale....Heaven Hill gives tours Monday-Friday-10:30-2:30... If you miss the tour schedule ask for Regina and she will (try) to give you a special one.

boone

• 2 weeks later...

Boone's done a great job of answering most of the questions here. I'll try to handle a couple: Best place to stay is: Best Western General Nelson Motel, 1-800-225-3977, small so may be booked. Advantage: walking distance to most events and into town. (i've been holding a room there since about October, 2000). Second best in terms of location: Old Kentucky Home Motel, or 1-800-772-1174. Disadvantage: stuck in about 1962 as far as furnishings.

Modern choices but you'd have to drive to your room: Hampton Inn - Bardstown 106 units. 1-800-HAMPTON, Holiday Inn of Bardstown, 101 units, 3 suites. Full service hotel, 1-800-HOLIDAY

I paid for no "events" last year and had a great time. there was free music both Friday and Saturday nights with food booths and bourbon by the (plastic) glass inside a fenced in area. A highlight is Friday: 2 PM - 3:30 PM "Bourbon Heritage Panel" Spalding Hall of Getz museam, and Saturday, 2PM - 4PM, Master Distiller’s Auction, Spalding Hall, Getz Museum.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.