Stagg Questions

bulldawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After all the raving going on around here, at last I finally have a bottle. Although it apparently took everything just short of begging, stealing, and borrowing laugh.gif

Anyway, just a few questions: Why no age statement? ie. explaining barrel date/bottle date, etc. Also, how do you tell which vintage you have - by the proof only? If so, what are the various versions/proofs? Thanks and also thanks for helping me become (another) Stagg addict. wink.gif

Anyway, just a few questions: Why no age statement? ie. explaining barrel date/bottle date, etc. Also, how do you tell which vintage you have - by the proof only? If so, what are the various versions/proofs?

The age of each lot of Stagg is known to insiders and those who possess the one page inserts placed in the 3-bottle packs.

Each lot has a different proof. Other than the 2002, which has a gold 2002 American Whiskey of the Year sticker, the proof statements are the sole means to distinguish among the different lots.

Here are the details regarding the first lots of Stagg:

2002: 15 yr, 137.6 proof (w/ 2002 sticker)

2003: 15 yr, 142.7 proof (affectionately known here as "HazMat")

2004: 16 yr, 129 proof

2005: 16 yr, 8 mo, Lot A 130.9 proof (KY only), Lot B 131.8 proof (outside KY), (the two lots are from the same batch, but bottled at different times)

Enjoy! They are all marvelous!

2003: 15 yr, 142.7 proof (affectionately known here as "HazMat")

This is the only version that I´ve been able to lay my hands on. It´s supposed to be 16 years old.

It is probably something obvious which I fail to grasp due to the language barrier but I have to ask all the same : why "HazMat" and what does it mean?

Hazmat is short for 'Hazardous Material' or something that is very dangerous. I am guessing due to it's high proof.

toast.gif

Sorry to burst one bubble, Hedsmans, but Hazhot.gifMat is indeed 15 years old. I just checked Buffalo Trace's October 1, 2003, press release to reconfirm.

Hazhot.gifMat as the term of art for 2003 Stagg has its origins in this post.

Hazmat is short for 'Hazardous Material' or something that is very dangerous. I am guessing due to it's high proof.

Thanks for the clarification! The word 'hasard' is actually part of the Swedish vocabulary but only with the definition 'chance'. It is used as an umbrella term for games of chance, i.e. lottery, betting on horses etc. Activities that, of course can be quite hazardous for your bank account! grin.gif

Sorry to burst one bubble, Hedsmans, but HazMat is indeed 15 years old.

Well, I´m glad you did. I realize now that I probably mixed it up with the very first release. When I bought my bottle I had no notions whatsoever of different versions. I had probably read here that Stagg was 16 yo and somehow took it for granted that my bottle was of that age, as well.

No need to fret man! You have a bottle of Stagg -- and most here in Europe never even heard of it! I thought 2002 was particularly good! Enjoy!

Ive had my bottle of 131.8 proof Stagg for over a month but im still waiting for the right occasion to open it. One more week to go..... drink.gif

Was that Carly Simon singing in the background? Anticipation..... smil41df29a15fb35.gif

Or maybe The Replacements singing I Can't Hardly Wait cool.gif

Funny...

Today I had yet another good experience on the way home. I bought yet another fine, tasty bourbon, this time a bottle of McKenna BIB 10-year (Barrel 071). Since the first taste I've had this Wilco song stuck in my head that seems to sum it all up:

I'm worried...

I'm always in love

Roger - Sippin' into the Evening - Hodges

• 3 weeks later...

Was that Carly Simon singing in the background? Anticipation..... smil41df29a15fb35.gif

Fortunately, Stagg doesn't pour like ketchup. lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever open the bottle of Stagg? Or did I just miss the unveiling!

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.