Youngest bourbon in production?

mbanu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know US law states that bourbon has to be a minimum of two years old, but I don't think I've ever spotted anything under the age of four. I'm curious what a very young bourbon tastes like, and idea what brands I should be looking for?

Didn´t Old Crow used to have a 3yo-statement on the bottleneck but maybe that´s a thing of the past?

It was ages since I last looked at a bottle.

I believe Ancient Age bourbon is 36 months old.

Gary

Kentucky Gold, the back label states...24 months old. It's available in a 4 year...and a blended 70/30 and 80/20 too.

Bettye Jo

Kentucky Gold, the back label states...24 months old. It's available in a 4 year...and a blended 70/30 and 80/20 too.

Ah, yes -- from the famed "Quality Control Distilling Co.". Bettye Jo, do you happen to know where the bourbon version of this bottling is marketed? I've been trying to find it for some forum members, but all I can locate here in TN is the blended whiskey version (which, unsurprisingly, carries no age statement). I believe some of our Australian posters have noted its availability there. Is it export-only?

It's been awhile since I looked at a bottle of Old Crow also, but I too was under the impression that it is 3 yrs old.

I'm pretty sure Old Crow says 36 months. I usually buy a bottle around the holidays for a lady who likes it. At $10 a liter, it is a cheap, amusing, yet appreciated, gift. Her husband is a scotch drinker and just shakes his head. I haven't tasted Old Crow in years.

I'm fairly sure I've seen something that says 24 months, but can't think what it was. A bottom Barton brand? I'll keep my eyes open.

Bob

These straight bourbons are among those whose labels proudly announce their status as three year olds:

Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe

J.W. Dant Olde

Old 1889

If you're in VA, Bowman's Bourbon (at least as Joe Dangler at A. S. Bowman led me to believe) is in the ballpark of 40 months old, sometimes less. Might be interesting to do a side-by-side of Bowman's with VG 90, the older, higher proof version of the same whiskey. Hmmm...you've inspired me to try that sometime!

I'm glad to see that you have an interest in young whiskey. I personally believe that young whiskey has a unique, lively character that I think tends to disappear beyond four years of aging. IMHO IW Harper 4 yo retains the liveliness and yet begins to have the "smoothness" of the barrel - the perfect example of a bourbon on the cusp. It's about to lose that lively "zing," but doesn't.

Kentucky Gold is not a export only kinda bottling...It's one of youngest 80 proof, 24 month, Kentucky Straight Bourbon's that I have labeled. One of the biggest blunders in a label machine operator's job is "overlooking" the back label with the small print (24 months old icon_redface.gif)

At one time, I held the title as label machine operator...for nearly seven years blush.gifgrin.gif I don't miss that job at all!

I will check the codes to see where it's shipped.

Bettye Jo

Looks like he has a rarity if for no other reason than the tendrils of wax. Looks like they slipped those though without Maker's noticing them and getting Hiriam Walkers lawyers to send them a letter, or they were made before Makers thought of the drips as a trademark. The spot with the "12" looks like the wax blob on the VIP bottle. Good find, a 3 year Bourbon worthy of wax seal a la Maker's Mark! lol.gif

I looked around a store last night. Old Crow, regular Ancient Age, and Walker's Deluxe were all 3 yrs. old. A bottle of Kentucky Gold, which was a 80/20 blend, says 24 months. I'm pretty sure that was the 2 year I was thinking of.

Bob

I doubt if it is in production now, but I looked at a mini I got from Tim at the sampler. It is Crab Ochard and a whopping 1 year and 3 month bourbon. Oddly it has the depth of color one would see with 4 to 6 year boubon. Believe me, it's hard for the color to show though in those minis.

I, too, have a mini that is less than 2 years old. It's a 1 year old Cream of Kentucky Bourbon from the Schenley days.

These fall under the rare category of "bourbon" but not straight bourbon. Straight must be aged at least two years. Bourbon, if not straight, must be aged for a time, not otherwise specified, presumably long enough to have the characteristics commonly attributed to bourbon.

Gary

Straight must be aged at least two years.

Agreed, Gary, but I have a bit of an anomaly with my Crab Ochard bottling. It says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the front label. Then the rear label with the "This Whiskey is 1 year and Three Months Old". Since it is a product of the American Medicinal Spirits Corporation, I'm thinking Prohibition era. It now might seem I have something of a rarity on my hands. toast.gif

...Crab Orchard...a whopping 1 year and 3 month bourbon...

Many was the time I almost popped that sucker open just to quell the intrigue. I found a picture of an identical bottle on a Japanese mini collector's site from 1938, so my guess is that is near its vintage. Dated Crab Orchard picture

And, Gary, you'll note that today's legal definition of 'straight' bourbon only dates to the mid-'60s. Apparently, it had a different meaning (or meanings) prior to that.

so my guess is that is near its vintage.

Yes Number 1 of the Crab Orchard row is the same age and looks to be the same in all other respects except that the one I am holding for you, Tim is filled to the top, nearly, of the Crab Orchard letters. I'd be pleased to share a drink of it or if you'd rather cart it off, I understand. toast.gif

Absolutely you have an oldie on your hands, Bobby, that's 1930's stock and the rules were different then. What's it taste like??

Gary

What's it taste like??

When I picked it up yesterday, I planned to drink it but paused when I read the label. If Tim wants it back, I'm giving it to him, he was beyond generous with his tax stamped minis and other offerings at the sampler. Actually his post asking for an evaluation of some of those was what sent me after it to begin with. I have a few others I'll try instead. toast.gif

Bobby, I directed it to you knowing that you'd appreciate both its historical significance and taste better than I. That said, I would be proud to taste it with you -- and Gary, if he's available -- at the first opportunity that arises.

Under no circumstance, however, do I intend to reclaim it.

That said, I would be proud to taste it with you -- and Gary, if he's available -- at the first opportunity that arises.

Done,I would ask to have Cliff in as well, we would have about 10 mil each, more than enough to pass judgement on. toast.gifwoohoo.gif

A gent, as always. But Bobby if you'd be minded to taste it I'd be interested in your analysis. I've heard that back then, they used in some cases smaller barrels than is normal, to age the product faster - so in fact although quite young it may taste like 3-4 year old bourbon of today. I always wonder with such things:

i) is it recognizably bourbon, i.e., as we know it today

ii) if not, what does it taste like?

iii) if it is bourbon-like, which bourbon of today is it closest to? Would anyone (who knows whiskey) think, oh this is a bourbon such as we'd see in the range available today, or would he think, no this is something quite different?

Gary

...I would ask to have Cliff in as well, we would have about 10 mil each, more than enough to pass judgment on...

And I am always glad to raise a glass with Cliff, too drink.gif. Only a bit over 3 months to the Festival... toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.