What's up with Eagle Rare 10yo?

MarkB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Say, is the new Eagle Rare 10yo in the fancy bottle the same as the old stuff? Yuppie-itis seems to be at work here... 10 bucks more than before.

More specifics, please -- are you comparing the Eagle Rare 10yo Single Barrel (with flying eagle embossed on tall bottle) and the standard 10yo Eagle Rare in the squat bottle? Both at 101 proof?

Neither is new, though the single-barrel version hasn't been distributed to all markets yet, so it may be 'new' to your market. In fact, rumor has it that the stardard bottling may be on its way to extinction in lieu of the single-barrel version.

Yes, I'm referring to the Eagle Rare 10yo 101 proof in the squat bottle. I saw the Eagle Rare 10yo in the tall, etched (fancy) bottle and assumed it was the same thing as in the squat, just repackaged and at a much higher price... I'll have to go back and look to see if it said "Single Barrel" on it. I guess that would make them different, eh? Far be it from me to leap to hasty conclusions... (ha!)

But wasn't it mentioned somewhere here that the Eagle Rare 10yo 101 (in the squat bottle) is being discontinued? That's why I made this instant assumption.

I did see the ER 101 in KY during the Sampler. My supplier in Maryland can't get anymore. The older version was very fine whiskey priced in the high teens. The single barrel has been around for a few years and I believe Chuck Cowdery has classified it as BT's entry in "modern" bourbons.

The ER in the tall bottle with the etched eagle is only 90 proof as compared to 101 proof in the squat bottle. usflag.gif

Right you are banghead.gif -- the single-barrel is only 90 proof. Though I like it a lot, I have so many other things in the house, I just haven't had a bottle for awhile.

By the way, if indeed Buffalo Trace is trying to substitute a 90-proof version for a long-time 101-proof version, it's yet another example of a hidden price hike by forcing us to pay for more water, less whiskey. At least, unlike with Wild Turkey's Russell's Reserve, they're not changing the existing bottling, just eliminating the alternative.

In a perfect world, BT would let those 10 year old barrels sit for 7 more years and maybe have an ample supply of ER 17 to go around.

schlep

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.