Do Birds Flock Together?

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While reading a thread about Eagle Rare it occurred to me that Wild Turkey's move to a 90 proof version of Russell's Reserve will make the Wild Turkey and Eagle Rare product lines align more closely.

I'm a fan of the ERSB. Does that mean I should calm down and cut the WT folks some slack? (A rhetorical question, especially given the de facto price increase inherent in that change.)

I recall someone here saying that Eagle Rare 101 was originally, shall I say, "inspired by" Wild Turkey 101. Could it be that the roles are now reversed?

I have yet to see the new bottle for Russell's Reserve. However, if they have replaced the current, beautifully painted bottle with a cheaper one, as I've heard, I suppose that fact would belie my theory.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The new 90-proof Russell's Reserve bottle is the same as the Jimmy Russell Tribute bottle with, of course, different labeling.

I have no Russell's Reserve bottle to inspect, but I think you are mistaken about the "beautifully painted" labeling. Do you have one? If so, I think a close inspection will show it to be a clear plastic stick-on label.

I could be wrong. Please let me know what you find.

Tim

Tim,

I just now looked, but I'm not sure what I saw. Short of scraping an edge with a razor blade, I'm not sure how to tell. Because of my lack of knowledge about such processes, even that might not tell me anything.

Indeed the letters that spell out "Wild Turkey" appear to have a narrow, transparent border, suggesting a decal. However, the turkey has no such border that I can see, nor does the script "Russell's Reserve".

Even if it turns out to be applied as an entirety, the current (old?) label still looks classier to my eye than a paper label.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

It appears painted on to me, much like a silk-screen process (or however it is that they apply ink directly to the bottle).

Even if it turns out to be applied as an entirety, the current (old?) label still looks classier to my eye than a paper label.

Agreed!

To me, the new bottle & label is strongly reminiscent of Knob Creek packaging. Not bad for KC, but why imitate them?

Tim

I have no Russell's Reserve bottle to inspect, but I think you are mistaken about the "beautifully painted" labeling. Do you have one? If so, I think a close inspection will show it to be a clear plastic stick-on label.

I could be wrong. Please let me know what you find.

Tim

I think you have the wrong bird in mind, Tim. I believe that Fighting Cock 6 year old is the lone flyer in the clear plastic label flock.

I just checked my 3 bottles and all are silk screened, two of which I was fortunate to pick up for 16.49 each!

Okay, my mistake (I originally said I may have been wrong).

Cool. cool.gif

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.