Red Eye Bourbon

Killerwhale
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi,With reference to my topic of "OLD MONTANNA RED EYE BOURBON"I have given up my search.

It is 6 yrs old.90'proof and 45% vol,Sour mash recipe, are there any simular bourbons, that come any where near, this excellent bourbon.Now sadly gone forever. smil41df29a15fb35.gifthankyousign.gif

Very Old Barton 90-proof is 6 years old, and rye-flavored, as is Virginia Gentleman's "The Fox".

W.L. Weller Special Reserve is 90-proof and 7 years old, and wheat-flavored. Maker's Mark is also a "wheatie" at 90 proof, and though it has no age statement, is 6 years old.

I'll bet others will come up with some more matches.

Hi,Thanx for the info..My dad told me of "Old Grandad" that he and my mother tasted over 27 yrs ago.

My Grand father made friends with an american "GI" during the second world war,here in Wales. His name was cecil lamb his wife's name was elenor.They lived in Palm Spring,California.They invited my mam and dad to stay with them,in 1977 they were friends for over 30 yrs,sadly they have both passed on now,

At the moment we can only get bourbon sent by post from america,I am weiry of this incase the bottle gets smashed in the post.I will do it soon thought. toast.gifusflag.gif

There was a stronger-than-normal suggestion in the responses to your earlier thread that this was a Heaven Hill product. You might try a few of those to see if the taste you enjoy is there as well. I don't know what's available in Wales, but the Evan Williams and Elijah Craig brands would be my best guess. Fighting Cock? Check the "brands" section of the main straightbourbon.com site to see if there is anything you recognize as something you can get.

If that doesn't produce the taste you remember, you should consider yourself very fortunate; you may now embark on a quest to sample many, many other bourbons, all fine products, in search of that flavor. I'm sure you'll find something that you enjoy, even if it is different.

Bob

Kevin,

I would be interested to know which bourbons are currently available to you locally in addition to the Woodford Reserve, which you mentioned in another thread. Also of interest, which ones have you actually sampled, and how did you like them, regardless of current availability?

BTW, have I mentioned that a long-ago, musician friend of mine is also associated with the name Killer Whales? (I actually liked his earlier band, The Original Hula Monsters , much better, but that's another story, one of disappointment and duplicity.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply,I will have to get back to you on this one,In my local super stores they only keep two brands at any one time,If they do not sell they are taken of the shelf,sadly that is what happened to the red eye,There is now mercy here,I am trying to get hold of Old Grandad (100 %) at the moment toast.gifusflag.gif

Hi Tim,Thank you for your reply,I will look out for your suggestions,I will let you know if I find them. toast.gifusflag.gif

Hi Bob,Thankyou for your reply,you are right,my new quest has just begun,I will let you know how I get on.I am tring to get hold of Old Grandad 100% at the moment toast.gifusflag.gif

Old Grand Dad BIB is a favorite. Very versatile. Tastes great neat, smooth, but high enough proof to get diluted, makes wonderful cocktails. I hope you like it if you can get it.

What is it about the Red Eye that you remember so fondly? OGD about as high in rye as bourbon gets, and brings a lot of spicy flavor. If you enjoyed something else about Red Eye, maybe there is another candidate for replacement.

Bob

If they do not sell they are taken of the shelf

Find out where they go when they are taken off the shelf. Track those bottles down!

Hi.I have already tried that,I was told "That information is not given out to the public" Hmmm! I wonder why?... toast.gifusflag.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.