DSP-KY-12

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think I read in a post the other day that this refers to which distillery made the bourbon. Now I can't find the post. Does anyone know what the designation DSP-KY-12 means? thankyousign.gif

And speaking of these "DSP" designations, I looked on every bottle of bourbon (and tenn whiskey, for that matter) that I own (which I used to think was a lot until I started reading this forum) and couldn't find any codes that resembled the format "DSP-KY-12." Are these codes still used or have UPC codes made them obsolete?

Through reading another post, I did discover that a Rebel Yell bottle I have is a UD one (which makes sense since I got most of my whiskies when my wife was brand manager at UD) b/c of its UPC code. Does this mean anything?

Thanks - Paul

DSPs are listed on every bourbon that is Bottled in Bond.

...Through reading another post, I did discover that a Rebel Yell bottle I have is a UD one...Does this mean anything?

Is it 80- or 90-proof? Anyway, UD Rebel Yell may well be Stitzel-Weller bourbon, which would mean something to many of us. United Distillers owned Stitzel-Weller in its last days, and Rebel Yell originally was a Stitzel-Weller product.

The Rebel Yell label is now owned by David Sherman Corp. in St. Louis (UPCs beginning 88352), which doesn't distill. The rights to the name "Rebel Yell Distillery" belong to Heaven Hill -- I have no idea whether or not they supply the wheated whiskey that goes into DSC's bottles.

"Is it 80- or 90-proof?"

It's 80 proof. I find it a bit weak, actually. Especially since the majority of my consumption lately has been Knob Creek. Probably a combination of the 80 proof and its wheated-ness, just doesn't do it for me. Not that it's bad by any means...

But the find of the week was going through some boxes and discovering an Evan Williams Single Barrel 1987. I wish my descriptive vocabulary was better than it is, but, well, let's just say it's really nice. smile.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.