Setter?

ratcheer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw a bourbon that was either new (to my store) or I had failed to notice. Setter Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. I kept looking for an "Old" prefix to the name, but I didn't see one. I.e., "Old Setter" makes more sense for a bourbon name, to me.

Beyond noticing the label from a few feet away, it was too scary contemplating picking it up for a closer inspection. The whiskey in the bottle appeared to be a pale yellow color and I was somewhat repulsed.

I'm sure it is probably a "cat and dog" brand. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of it? It is not in the SB database.

Tim

Tim,

Google never ceases to amaze me.

A search for "setter bourbon", absent the quotes, yielded this website.

It confirmed my initial impression that this bourbon may be a dog, but it's certainly not a cat. grin.gif

Regarding "Old", see here.

A thorough persual of the site will reveal some strange claims regarding bourbon.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I don't believe that Majestic currently distills any kinds of whiskey. Up until 30 years ago they distilled Pikesville and other rye whiskey for Standard Distillers.

Notice that their Bourbons are "Kentucky Straight Whiskey" as distilled in Kentucky.. They probably have their Bourbon "tank truck" delivered.

Excellent work, Dave. I remember that Old Setter label from many years ago (probably the 70's). At 80 proof, I will probably never try either incarnation.

Thanks,

Tim

A thorough persual of the site will reveal some strange claims regarding bourbon.

Such as:

<font color="blue">A bourbon-type whiskey is very full because it is treated with maple-wood charcoal to remove the lighter flavors.</font>

and,

<font color="blue">The predominant ingredient in light whiskey is corn; the higher the amount of corn, the lighter the flavor.

</font>

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Those are the ones.

At first I was puzzled as to how Majestic could be so misinformed regarding their own product. Upon reflection it came to me.

When a business markets whiskey but does not distill it, there is no reason to expect anyone involved to know the first thing about production. To them the business is all numbers and words.

Of course individuals who come from a background that includes distilling (Julian, et al) are in a different category.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

How can you not respect someone who markets Red neck Riviera?

RED neck RIVIERA (RnR) is a special blend made with 25% straight bourbon whiskey. The blend is a five-times distilled grain neutral spirit that makes this unique 98.6° blended whiskey "sure enough smooth" as the necker states.

That's the problem with whiskeys nowadays, no grain neutral spirits. Who needs more than 25% flavor? 98.6 proof, how nifty--it's the same as my body temperature!

post-151-14489811950663_thumb.jpg

Pair this up with Buckhorn Beer and a pot of roadkill stew and you got yourself a hootenanny. Call your Dad, grandpa, uncle, cousin and brother and both of you can hug the commode all night long. You can even use it to brush your tooth, it's that good. Pass it around to the neighbors when they gather to help you take the wheels off your house and you'll have the social event of the year. And it gets rid of liver spots, warts, and bunyons as well as curing the gout, spinal menangitis and athlete's foot. Got a liver acting up? This will make that liver disappear. All for the low price of $1.49 for 750ml. Order now, operators are standing by.....

Setter and all these modern whiskeys are actually probably pretty good, but your humorous comment reminds me of one in Gerald Carson's book about a certain kind of rough whiskey: "It'd make a jackrabbit stand and spit in the face of a wolf". smile.gif

Gary

Last September I had the pleasure of taking a tour of the Majestic Distilling Company. Here is a picture from the road. The distillery has been shut down for 30 years like Dave said. In fact it is being propped up by some steel girders to keep it from falling down. The cost of taking it down is too great I was told.

Howie

post-535-14489811950866_thumb.jpg

We were welcome by Jim Crone the marketting manager at Majestic. In a prior life he was the sales director for UDV in the Maryland Area.

Howie

post-535-14489811951123_thumb.jpg

He showed us the bottling line and the storage tanks where they received all of their bourbon whiskey, scotch whiskey, gin, vodka, and rum.

Howie

post-535-14489811951397_thumb.jpg

Later in his office, Jim explained that the bourbon they receive is barrel proof from HH. They dilute it with filtered Baltimore city water and then bottle it under the Setter label. At 80 proof though, it lacks any depth that other HH products have

He also explained the history behing Red Neck Riviera. It is an interesting brand and is marketed at the club going crowd. We tried several samples later at night and it works very well as a mixer. But, when Red Neck Riviera is compared to straight bourbon, it pales in comparison.

Howie

post-535-14489811951716_thumb.jpg

Hey I remember you, didn't you used to sell tonic off the back of a wagon?

I wonder if they have a couple of cases of Maryland rye lying around from the distilling days of 30 years ago and more. smile.gif

Bettye Jo, would do think of that bottling line, does it look like the ones used at Heaven Hill?

Gary

Hey, do you get the John Boy and Billy morning drive-time radio show out where you live? That sounds like their "J.D.'s" skit.

J.D.'s

J.D.'s

What a country boy needs!

Tim

I can't see alot of what's there. The capper looks small but common. The label machine is ancient. I can't see if a packer or a case sealer is there...No guards or shields anywhere (that I can see)...but if it gets the job done...that's what really counts...

Bettye Jo

It looked quite small to me (the whole line) but it is true you can't really see it as whole.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.