Midleton 25

brockagh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

But look at the opening price and buy it now price. YOWZER! I paid less for my first car... falling.gif

Yeah, you're right. This usually goes for more than that over in Europe, though. You should sell you car and buy this whiskey...

Soon petrol prices will be higher than Midleton 25, so the selling your car option could save you a fortune...

Seriously, though, you should try some kind of pot still Irish whiskey. There are some around at reasonable prices - Redbreast and Green Spot.

I have been meaning to try Redbreast as it is readily available in my area. I do like the Irish whiskies I've tried, being Bushmill's, Black Bushmill's, Bushmill's 10 yr Single Malt and Bushmill's Millenium Malt. I guess I should broaden my horizons a bit and stop "beating around the Bush" so to speak. Maybe I'll pick one up while I'm beating about today on my day off....

The pot still whiskeys will be different to the Bushmills brands.

Incidentally, Bushmills has been bought by Diagio, splitting up Irish Distillers.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the Redbreast if you get it.

Well, bought a bottle of 12yo Redbreast yesterday and cracked it open last night while chatting in the forum's chat room. Granted it had been a LONG day after mowing the lawn, going shopping with some friends that came in from Nova Scotia, and sitting in the very top row of Busch Stadium to watch my Cards get hammered by the Pirates, so I may have been a bit off my game as far as tasting was concerned. I kept getting a hint of a taste from long ago every time I breathed in through my mouth after a sip. I finally tracked it down to be Grape Laffy Taffy. Unusual but there. Tonight I may try a side by side with my Bush Millenium Malt but just wasn't up to the task last night.

I think that's a sherry barrel taste you're getting there, Dane. I must say I find it hard to like Redbreast, it has a waxy-like taste which I believe is very Irish "pure pot-still" but seems weird to me. I blend my Irish to get just a bit of that taste. E.g. Power's offers a hint of it with a rich malty body but with Redbreast it is fully-loaded. smile.gif

Gary

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan of both current and ancient Irish Pot still whiskey. I've never had a chance to try the M25, but would like to get a bottle--even at close to these prices.

I do have a Midelton 26, which is one of my all time favorate Irish Whiskeys. It's different from the 25, have been finished in port pipes.

Blackeno - I might be able to get you one for about 450 euro - which is about $550. I don't know what shipping and insurance would cost.

I appreciate the tip. A contact from the Irish site on Yahoo mentioned he might be able to source one. It will probably be a few months before I could purchase though. BTW, where is it located?

Thanks,

John

Hi Blackeno

I am the contact from the Irish Yahoo website (john), so it's located in Ireland!

This is the price I paid for it. I also might be able to get one cheaper, as the box is not in brilliant condition. I'm not sure if this one is still around.

Yeah. Of course, there's no problem if you don't want it.

Have you seen the price of the new Old Midleton whiskeys, by the way? An absolute rip-off. I don't know who's buying this stuff.

Not just the new Midleton's. At least they're from a closed distillery and old (and cask strength). The New Greenspot is also outreagous. I would REALLY have liked all of them. But...

In any event, I've very interested in your M25. I hope to be able to arrange a purchase in a couple months.

Thanks,

John

I tasted the Green Spots, and they're very good, but not worth anywhere near the money. Irish distillers are also putting up the price of regular Green Spot by 11%. Apparently, they're very difficult to deal with. You'll almost never seen an independent bottling of their modern whiskey.

There is on bottled for a German magazine labeled Old Midleton. I am getting a few bottles of this. It's a 75% potstill contain whiskeys of 12 to 20 yrs. Again, it's a bit of a ripoff, but I suppose it's a rarity.

Is the German bottling officially a 12yo blend? I hadn't heard of it. What are they asking for it?

Thanks,

John

Yes, it's a blend. 75% potstill and 25% grain. They are asking 69 euro per bottle. 996 were made. I will see can I find the website again.

Here's a picture idm_0507.jpg

When I first purchased Green Spot, 5-10 years ago?, I think it was about 20 Irish. Last summer when I purchased one it was about 30 Euro. What is it going for now?

Man, that ain't right. What are the prices of Redbreast and Connemara? Those are the other two I really enjoy a lot. I had some Jameson 1780, or whatever the 12 YO is called these days, this weekend and didn't like it as much as I remembered. Drinking all of this bourbon might be messing with my taste buds!

The Redbreast is about 34 euro, as is the Connemara. However, the Connemara 12 yr old is about 70 euro!!

Personally, I love the Jameson 12. It was called Jameson 1780, but is now called Jameson 12. Some say it has changed a bit, but I'm not sure.

The Redbreast is about 34 euro, as is the Connemara. However, the Connemara 12 yr old is about 70 euro!!

Those prices are pretty much in line with what I'd pay here - Redbreast is about $40, Connemara NAS is about $40, and the 12yo is about $88. The cask-strength (60% ABV) Connemara is also available at about $60.

I haven't tried the 12yo Connemara, as I'm not sure if it's worth the price premium. The standard and CS bottlings are wonderful, though. Connemara is rather Islayesque with its peat, but there's a slight grassy note to it that's very different from any Islay.

The Redbreast is also a very fine whiskey, and the only traditional Irish pot-still whiskey that I can afford.

I think there's clearly a market for pure pot still, so I think they should release some more affordable ones. Maybe they'll have to do this once they are competing again with Bushmills.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.