Sediment in my '05 Stagg?

hokiedave92
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed in my bottle of 2005 Stagg that there's some sediment at the bottom. Is this a normal thing with an unfiltered bourbon?

Regards,

Dave

Every bottle I've seen has a small amount of char sediment and maybe even a small chunk of char or two. There are varying degrees of "unfiltered" and Stagg '05 is pretty darn unfiltered. I guess the really big chunks are removed, but not much else!

The idea is to give you bourbon as you could draw it straight from the barrel. It's a great idea, and they did it right!!

Cheers,

-monte-

I've had sediment and tiny pieces of wood in every bottle of Stagg that I've opened.

Get over it! Unfiltered means unfiltered! Send it my way if you require inspection for quality!

Oiy! Nothing to get over, mate, just a simple question.

toast.gif

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Yup - I noticed the sediment too, in the Spring '05 bottle I polished off last month. As I got to the last of the bottle, the char particles became quite plainly evident.

I'm very glad I decided to pick up another bottle, and then a three-pack. yum.gif

I consider unfiltered whiskies to be more "honest" than the heavily processed ones... and that leads me to another question: is spirit caramel (E150) permitted in bourbons? It's allowed in Scotch, although bottlings for Germany must declare it (mit Farbstoff, "with coloring agent"), and not all distillers use it. IMO, adding coloring borders on deception...

...is spirit caramel (E150) permitted in bourbons?...

No. Nothing outside the barrel may be added except water after distillation.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I was surprised by the amount of sediment left in the bottles of Stagg. I ask what we had to do to clean it up and was told we needed to chill filter it. I told them to just run it through the paper filters (kind of like straining it through cheesecloth).

Ken

I ask what we had to do to clean it up and was told we needed to chill filter it. I told them to just run it through the paper filters

Good call! toast.gif

My teeth do a pretty good job of straining the debris out of Stagg though I doubt many board members would sign up for my filtering services....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.