Availability of McKenna BIB

Rughi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have only ever seen one bottle of McKenna BIB, and 1/3 of that bottle has evaporated in short order, if you know what I mean.

Is this fine bourbon in regular supply in Whiskey Country? When I come back in September, I'd like to be able to stock up on it.

For what it's worth, a quick search on Sams, Binnys, and Internet Wines didn't yield a hit.

Roger - Heavenly Hill, for me - Hodges

There is plenty available (> 150 bottles in New Hampshire at $19.99 per bottle. The price has not changed in a long time, except for the occasional sale where, IIRC, it was $17.99. I have been meaning to get a bottle for a long time, but other bourbons somehow always win out, including Elijah Craig 12 also at $19.99. So how do these two compare, I wonder? Also, is the McKenna at all like the EWSB vintages? The EWSB 95 is also available in NH for $19.99. Cheers, Ed

Actually,I find the EWSB's to feel like expressions of EW (cleverly enough) but McKenna BIB to have quite a different impression, with a much richer body than other HH products that I have on hand (EW 7yr 86, EWSB '88 & '91, Fighting Cock 6 yr 103).

I would think of McKenna BIB as more similar to FC than any EW's, but more rounded, tamed just a bit, and deep and rich. I get sweetness in FC, but for me, McKenna BIB is the HH product that uses body and a bit of sweetness to rounds out the house style of light-bodied, neutral to tart, rye spiciness, herbal notes, and a warm to burning palate.

I think of McKenna as challenging in a very good way.

Roger - the whole bailiwick - Hodges

PS

I read in Jim Murray that HH uses 2 rye formulas (and I believe I remember Bettye Jo writing this, but am not sure), one higher in rye. Does it seem possible that the EW line is the spicier, lower-bodied high rye recipe, and that FC and McKenna are the higher-bodied, slightly less spicy low rye recipe? I notice that FC and McK BIB are marketed 100 and 103 proofs (while Ew's are at 86 proof) - and they still aren't a crazy amount more spicy than the EW's, as proof would seem to dictate.

To me, even the standard McKenna at 80 proof has more body than the EW's at 86 proof.

Just food for thought.

OK, I'll try this again... grin.gif

Does anyone know whether McKenna Single Barrel BIB is easily available in Kentucky?

Ed Voigtman was kind enough to report that it is available in Massachusetts, but how about Kentucky?

Roger - September, Gazebo, Kentucky - Hodges

Toddy's (in Bardstown) has the Henry McKenna Single Barrel (BIB)...$26.99

Bettye Jo

God love Toddy's in Bardstown. While there in April we almost bought the place. Lots of good Bourbons.

Joe usflag.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.