Ignorant dolts! (a brief rant)

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went to my sister's place this afternoon for a small soiree and I brought a bottle of "Gentleman Jack". I chose it because it isn't exactly swill but it was still nice enough to make an enjoyable drink while sitting around with family.

Her brother-in-law was there as well and said something about Jack Daniels when I was pouring a shot. I politley asked him if he'd like a shot. He said sure and when I passed him the bottle, he and his brother began to guzzle it from the bottle like a pair of winos.

I guess I must be becoming a bit of a whiskey snob because I was greatly offended. Not because of the expense (it's by far not one of the most expensive of Bourbon styled whiskies)but because of the mode of consumption. It seemed disrespectful to me. If they wanted to play drunken idiot, I'd have happily brought a bottle of cheap rye.

Sheesh. banghead.gif

We've all had similar experiences at one time or another I would guess. Once they started, as rude as they were, it would have been equally rude in their eyes for you to tear the bottle from their lips after once offering it. It's all a matter of tribal custom among the less civilized. lol.gif I'm sure your generosity made a good impression with them. Just next time take a bottling more suited for their style of consumption. See the posts in the recent thread on Setter. I'm sure Redneck Riviera will fill the bill nicely. smilielol.gif

Well, next time I won't be stupid enough to pass a bottle over. I'll politely offer to get a glass and throw a shot in there for 'em.

You can take the man out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the man...

smilielol.gif

Just a joke! No offense anybody!

But really, a bottle of No.7 may suit better next time. I know, give them a bottle of Old Whiskey River to chug. They'll probably never drink angain! 70358-devil.gif

Or take a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year old. That wide lipped bottle would be pretty hard to drink from! smile.gif

Also, I think you should forgive them. I am sure that many of us here have drunk straight from the bottle at one time or another, I know I have. Wouldn't think of it now, er, well, there was that one time a while back, but that was a half pint bottle, and, um, do flasks count? oh dear...

Ed

Well, I often keep a little bottle No. 7 around anyway because I have to admit, that I like it every once in a while. I'm a common man so a common whisky is sometimes suitable. But truthfully, having known these guys for many years, I think they have chugged it like campfire idiots no matter how cheap the booze.

In fact, the cheaper the product the better they'd have probably liked it.

Next time, I'll pour some real rotgut into a Jack Daniels bottle and just say, "have at 'er boys", and they'll think they've died and gone to heaven.

My father(David) told me a story about his dad(Carl)that relates. Carl found a bottle in my Dad's car when he was young. Dad offered Carl a drink. Carl held the bottle up in the light and declined. Carl said that there was

-Lamb Leg- in the bottle. Apparently people had been drinking from the bottle and there was evidence of such actions.

Has anyone else heard this term -lamb leg-

John Ed

Never heard it before, but I will be sure to add it to my vocabulary!

Ed

• 1 month later...

i agree with you that drinking from the bottle shows a lack of style and disrespect for the host. in my opinion this applies regardless of what whiskey or for that matter spirit you are drinking. at times i think we get too hung up on this whiskey is better than that whiskey. between bourbon, rye and blends i have approx. 40 different whiskeys in my collection from the pappy 20 and hirsch 16 to seagrams 7 and pikesville rye and can honestly say that i have no more than 1 or 2 in the bunch that i don't care for. the more familiar i become with american whiskey the more i am of the opinion that once you get above the rail brands it's hard to find a bad american whiskey.

I'd put forth that once you're above rail brands, there are no bad whiskies of any nation. But then I haven't tried them all yet.

• 3 months later...

G'day Ghoste, I see this was posted a while back but I have only just joined this forum. I read your post and mate I have to say that you are definately no snob!! Alcohol, be it any spirit, is a creation, a work of art and by the sounds of things these 'boys' do not know how to appreciate art. I am sick hot.gif of the bad image that these 'boys' give alcohol as a general image worldwide. Let us all appreciate the work the blenders and distillers put into these creations and leave these 'boys' to guzzle the top shelf metho at the local hardware. My suggestion on solving the problem with these drinking.gif is to keep a bottle of metho on hand mixed with a hint of the cheapest whisky you can find for colouring(maybe just put some maple syrup in).

bowdown.gif To the Master Blends and Master Distillers, you are artists in your own right toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.