Your best classic martini recipe...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Post it here, and be sure to include specific brand information. I am looking to expand my martini repertoire and, if I find one I like here, I'll gladly take credit for it as my own lol.gifthankyousign.gif

Take a great dry Vermouth and coat the ice cubes in a glass or tumbler. Pour excess away. Fill tumbler with Bombay Saphire Gin. Strain into martini glass or leave on the rocks. Add a dash of olive juice and three large olives. Enjoy.

Joe drink.gif

Great timing, Jeff: I just had my first martini last evening and it was quite enjoyable. (I should say it was actually a vodka martini.) We had a guest who likes them, so I bought glasses, a shaker, Ciroc vodka, VYA extra dry vermouth and unstuffed olives. I used Poland Spring water for the ice cubes I filled the shaker with, added the vodka and vermouth in about a 4 to 1 ratio and gave it about 10 seconds of real hard shaking. Then strained the martinis into glasses and added the toothpicked olives. Very good and surprisingly refreshing, but I will be trying the Bombay sapphire recipe before too long! Looking forward to seeing other recipes/techniques. Cheers, Ed

I like Beefeater Gin. It has a big flavor, not as soft as some but firm, steely and full of juniper and orange peel. Add a little white vermouth (Noilly Prat is good). A good Martini needs a certain amount of vermouth, more than a coating on the cubes but less than many people add, say a half-ounce to three ounces of Beefeater. Add two small stuffed olives. Swirl over cubed ice in a rocks glass and pour neat into a stemmed cocktail glass. The statement from a 1970's book I once quoted in connection with good straight vodka, "more like an injection than a drink", is apposite, except this injection has lots of taste.

Gary

P.S. Orange bitters were an addition to the Martini originally and since Liquor Barn (not far from Jeff's location) sells the Collins type, I'd advise to add a little, but just a drop or two.

Let's see, its actually quite simple:

Two oz. good British gin (Beefeater's or Bombay will do just fine)

One tablespoon dry vermouth (I usually just use Noilly Prat, but I prefer Martini and Rossi). This gives a bone dry 6:1 ratio.

Stir with about five or six ice cubes until its as cold as its going to get. Strain into a cocktail glass with one or two olives. Drink before it has any chance to warm up. I'm not saying chug it, but it should be gone in two minutes or less. yum.gif Then, eat the olives. yum.gif

Tim

I tend to agree, Gary. I've tried a lot of good gins and Beefeater's is probably the best. And, the good old standard bottling is just great. (Same goes for Bombay).

Vodka? No, not that!

Tim

...so I bought glasses, a shaker, Ciroc vodka, VYA extra dry vermouth and unstuffed olives...

OK, give up the secret!! Where'd you get the Vya Vermouth?? I have one bottle, hand smuggled from Kentucky from a store who said they bought the Vya over the Internet, but I can't find it in MA whatsoever! LeNell's was out of it when I visited there too.

I understand the same folks that make Vya also make Essensia dessert type wines, which are widely available in eastern MA, but the Vya vermouth is unobtanium!

Damn tasty vermouth though...

TIA,

-monte-

6 parts Bombay Sapphire gin (I also like Boodles, and Junipero gin from Anchor Steam) to 1 part dry vermouth. Shaker vigorously with a shaker full of ice. Add a small dash of orange bitters. Garnish with two pimento-stuffed olives. Mmmmm...

One note about vermouth...Martinis today are generally made with much less vermouth than the "classic" recipe, sometimes with just a wave of the vermouth bottle in the direction of the shaker. This is probably due to the (relatively) new popularity of vodka martinis, as opposed to the classic gin martini. Vodka is much less tolerant of vermouth than gin is. Gin and vermouth are a wonderful pair together, but vodka and vermouth are not so great together, so one must hold the vermouth to a minimum.

As James Thurber said about martinis: "One is just right, two is too many, three is not enough..."

I prefer Bombay Gin, but find the gin less critical than the vermouth. I like Noilly Pratt but Martini & Rossi will do. I prefer a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of gin to vermouth. I chill the glass, stir the drink in a pitcher and prefer olives as the garnish. Important! Use a glass or plastic stirer but not metal. Don't allow metal of any kind to come in contact with the drink.

Don't allow metal of any kind to come in contact with the drink.

I'll bite. Why? I guess a metal shaker is out?

Nobody seems to like their martini on the rocks. Don't be afraid, just prepare as usual; 3oz Gin, Beefeater is the classic, Bombay Sapphire,standard Bombay or Tanqueray will do, add a splash of vermouth, M & R or Noilly Pratt. Stir in a large glass filled with chipped ice. Strain into a seperate glass containing a few clear cubes. Add a few large olives or or if you prefer a few cocktail onions and call it a "Gibson".

The secret is to cut the gin with the chipped ice. Takes the harshness off the martini. I've been sippin on these for 35 years .

You should adjust the amount of vermouth according to you and your guest's preference. Of course serving "up" in a stemmed glass is a more than acceptible alternative, but me and my old martini buddies have always preferred "on the rocks".

Monte, the VYA vermouths (extra dry and also the sweet, which I have not tasted yet) are available at Table & Vine in Northampton, MA and also at Town & Country Liquors in West Springfield, MA. Prices are $20.99 per bottle and plenty in stock. (Town & Country is now actually part of Table & Vine, but is not fully integrated with table & Vine, so some prices are different between the two locations, but not these 2 vermouths). The web site for Table & Vine gives full address and contact info: www.tableandvine.com Unfortunately, the web site inventory listing is loaded with errors: items listed long after being gone for good, shelf items never making it to the web site (this is true for all the vermouths, actually), etc. But they can be called or e-mailed. No web site for Town & Country. And worst case scenario is I pick you up some, wallet willing! grin.gif Cheers, Ed

Well, all these REAL martini recipes have got me wanting to try the Bombay Sapphire/VYA combo and see how it tastes. Think I will wait to the weekend, especially if I try Tim's two minute rule!

Important! Use a glass or plastic stirer but not metal. Don't allow metal of any kind to come in contact with the drink.

Damn! smiley_acbt.gif

So much for my stainless stell shakers. Even the little strainer thingy is metal were I to decide to stir it in a glass instead of using the shaker.

Monte, the VYA vermouths (extra dry and also the sweet, which I have not tasted yet) are available at Table & Vine in Northampton, MA and also at Town & Country Liquors in West Springfield, MA. Prices are $20.99 per bottle and plenty in stock.

That's great! I've been nursing the one bottle I have and that's not too fun... Western MA is a bit of a hike for me, but I do get out there from time to time. Table & Vine has been on my list of stores to visit for a while, so if I get out west for some hunting, I'll be sure to stop there.

And worst case scenario is I pick you up some, wallet willing! grin.gif Cheers, Ed

Thanks for the offer!! Maybe I can make the trip out west as an excuse for a visit?? smile.gif

Well, all these REAL martini recipes have got me wanting to try the Bombay Sapphire/VYA combo and see how it tastes. Think I will wait to the weekend, especially if I try Tim's two minute rule!

I prefer Bombay Sapphire as well, but I've only had it with Noilly Prat - I've been saving my Vya for Manhattans! I'll give it a spin and see how it goes.

Thank for the info, and cheers!

-monte-

Table & Vine has been on my list of stores to visit for a while, so if I get out west for some hunting, I'll be sure to stop there.

It is well worth a visit, despite their web site inadequacies: they have the Black Maple Hill 11,14 and 16 YO bourbons and the 18 YO rye plus RR 101 proof, Pappy 15 and the 12 YO Lot B bourbon. Also the 10 YO 107 proof. The Town & Country location has Hirsch 16 (gold foil @ $64) and the Old Rip 15 YO, 107 proof bourbon (old squat bottle, Frankfort) at $41. Also, Spirit Haus in Amherst has Rock Hill farms and a bunch of other nice bourbons. So, some reasonably good places to visit.

Maybe I can make the trip out west as an excuse for a visit?? smile.gif

Sure! I pretty sure we have a mutual SB.com friend too: WEG3. People here are the best. I'm easy to locate: just PM me.

Cheers, Ed

I forget where I learned that, but there does seem to be a metallic taste that is picked up if any metal is in the mix. I have a glass stir rod for my martini pitcher and my ice cube trays are plastic.

Add a sprig of bruised Rosemary to the mix.

I prefer Tanqueray Ten this week.

It adds a whole new dimension to a Martini. You can even use it as a garnish.

toast.gif

Are Gibsons okay? Following the lead of mixmaster Todd Thrasher at Eve in Alexandria, I infused some cocktail onions with saffron and put a drop of the liquid in a Bombay regular 4:1 (ish) mix. It's just pale yellow, and the onions themselves are just brilliant at the end of the drink.

Its not an original idea. I read it in Wine Spectator, I think. It really complements the herbal juniper notes in the Gin.

I've tried a few other common herbs (basil, mint,oregano,sage,cardomom, marjoram,) but none of them work. That was a long afternoon. Maybe catnip next?

The best martini recipe I know is 4:1 Bombay Sapphire to Noily Prat, stir gently and add olive. Then hand it to the person on your right, left, or across the table and pour 3 oz of ANY bourbon in your own glass and enjoy. Sorry, but I've never developed a taste for martinis.

The best martini recipe I know is 4:1 Bombay Sapphire to Noily Prat, stir gently and add olive. Then hand it to the person on your right, left, or across the table and pour 3 oz of ANY bourbon in your own glass and enjoy. Sorry, but I've never developed a taste for martinis.

I've got to agree with Dane on this one, Gin just tastes too much like a... a... well, Christmas Tree comes to mind.

My wife, however, loves Gin, but not Martinis. A very nice refreshing drink that she makes in the summer is:

2 oz. Tanqueray Ten

Splash (tablespoon maybe? she doesn't measure) Noilly Pratt Sweet Vermouth

Club soda

Stir the gin and the vermouth with ice, pour into a Martini glass and top up with an ounce or so of club soda. Sometimes she adds a twist of lemon... puke.gif

Despite the fact that it doesn't taste too terrible, I think this drink is an abortion of taste and decency. But she likes it, so who am I to judge? falling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

For some odd reason, I have a hankering for a martini, tonight. I don't have any great gin, but I do have a bottle of Broker's, from Britain. It will have to do (and it will probably do nicely). I will be using my recipe from the above post.

I hope I can find some olives. blush.gif

Tim

Hello everybody,

Had my first martini today, inspired by this thread. I followed Gary's post most closely, though none too closely. Beefeater Gin 57% abv with Martini and Rossi extra dry vermouth 18 % abv. One ounce of vermouth, two of gin as per the instructions on the side of my cocktail glass, (I had meant to use less vermouth, but my hand slipped. It often does that when I pour bourbon, too...) swirled with a handful of ice. I let it melt until the melt rate had nearly stopped and then strained it to another glass. I used my fingers as a strainer to avoid metal as per Chuck's post, (Well, he didn't say to use your fingers, that was my innovation!) One small cube got through. I tried to drink it while it was still cold as per Tim's post. Altogether an enjoyable drink. I will try it again with less vermouth in the near future.

Ed

Here's my personal recipe:

2 oz. Plymouth Gin. (The gin matters folks! I've tried many of the premiums including Bombay Sapphire and Plymouth seems to work best in martinis.)

1/2 oz. Martini & Rossi Extra Dry Vermouth (I'm not a vermouth expert, but this seems to work well.) Note: this is a 4-to-1 ratio which is a little lean, but it tastes great if you use these components.

Shake the begezuss out of it with tons of ice. Forget the whole 'bruising the gin' myth...the drink will be cloudy and have ice crystals floating, but that's part of the experience for this recipe!

Two queen-size olives. (Yes, two--one just doesn't do it. My personal preference is jalapeno-stuffed, but standard grocery-store pimento-stuffed work well too). Don't skimp here either--the olive is a main component of the experience.

Of course, YMMV, but I think they're awesome.

Enjoy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.