Cask conditioned bourbon brews

Chaz7
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had the priveledge of sampling many Cask conditioned in Bourbon barrel beers. Most are stouts, with a couple of porters. I've only seen them in brewpubs and microbreweries, not in bottles. Some of my favorites include Rock Bottom Cask Conditioned bourbon stout, Bristol Brewing Bourbon Stout, and Rockyard brewing Bourbon Stout ( not much for original names; guess it says it all). Sometimes a double of Woodford at lunch isn't always a good idea. I personally enjoy the better made ones. These you can detect distinct flavours of bourbon, without an unecessary sweetness. Any one else try one?

KY Ale makes a barrel-conditioned pale-ale. It's available at the brewery and at a few select pubs around town. It's pretty good, but I prefer porters and stouts more that way.

• 1 month later...

Here in Louisville, both Bluegrqass Brewing Company and New Albanian Brewing will occasionally make a bourbon barrel stout. As far as the cask conditioned always being on tap, thats pretty much required by the name cask, and very few micros have the ability to do bottle conditioned ales.

Also proper serving of cask conditioned ale means that they have to pull on whats called a beer engine, a mechanical pump that draws the beer out of the cask, no pressurized CO2 system can truly replicate the mouthfeel that a beer engine does bowdown.gif

Timothy

I have become very fond of the Bourbon barrel aged beers and have actually seen browns, barley wines and other styles done this way. The only 2 I have seen bottled are Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (Chicago) and Tyranena's Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown Ale (Lake Mills) Wisconsin. Goose Island has a fairly large distribution area so you might be able to find it.

The Goose Island story goes Greg Hall the brew master was at a dinner with Booker Noe many years back and they began discussing their different fields. They both thought it would be a great idea to age some Goose bear in bourbon barrels so Booker gave Greg several used Jim Beam barrels and Goose has been making different Bourbon aged beers for many years now.

Sounds interesting. I've had their Honkers Ale and Summertime brews, and found them to be quite good. My English brother-in-law's German stepmother really liked the Summertime as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.