Dickel

mike1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I received a little booklet in the mail touting the reopening of the Dickel Distillery for tours. Has anyone been to this place? and is it worth the visit. I think that it is in operation again,although they are bottling Dickel somewhere else

Actually, you've been able to arrange tours privately since Dickel began distilling again in Fall 2003, though they've recently begun public tours again.

I don't think I'd plan an out-of-state trip around Dickel by itself, but Jack Daniel's is just one county over (about 25 miles away, so you can easily combine them). A couple of interesting things about Dickel:

<ul type="square">[*]they have a single-story, metal-sided rickhouse, the only one of its kind, I think;

[*]they have a working post office on-site -- unique in the distillery business -- so you can send yourself a postcard from Dickel, Tennessee 37388 (although the Dickel company sends its correspondence from nearby Tullahoma);

[*]Dickel's maple-leaching operation differs from Jack Daniel's -- it's done in a chilled room through finely-granulated maple charcoal, where JD essentially simply leaches it through the remains of an open-air fire pile (well, maybe not that simple, but that's how they make the charcoal, and it's used unchilled).

It is true that before their 4-year distilling hiatus, they tanked the whisky (they don't us the 'e') to Kentucky for bottling. I don't know if they still do that or not, but I suspect they didn't build a bottling line while waiting to see if they survived during that time.

Tim,

I had heard that they were doing their bottling in Canada and shipping the product back to the U.S. I couldn't imagine why the did that, but that was what I heard.

Tim

yep. I have a bottle that was bottled in Canada. I have seen other bottles in the package store that were bottleed elsewhere. I think tha Dickel is sent to plants that bottle simernov. The tour brochure says that the bottling aspect of the product is shown in a film. I guess that Dickel is distilled and aged in Tenn and trucked off to a diagio plant somewhere.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.