AAA-10 Year

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently aquired two bottles of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. One was a 750 in a square bottle at 90 proof. The other was a liter in a round bottle and 86 proof. Does this mean that the 90 proof is older and is being replaced with an 86 proof?

Joe usflag.gif

The 750s I got from Binny's in January are 86 proof, so I would assume you are correct; that the 90 proof is older, and no longer being bottled.

You are correct, the 86 proof is the current iteration of AAA 10 Year. I must admit that supplies of this bourbon are getting very short and outside of Kentucky, Binny's may be the only place that gets any. We used to sell it in VA, however, they will be cut soon.

Ken

Hmmm -- interesting. I have a couple of old-stock bottles from here in Tennessee (where it hasn't been distributed for quite a while -- they still have the state tax shoulder stamp, which ended in 1992; and, yes, they are "10yo", not "10 Star" -- I just rechecked for the umpteenth time) that are 80 proof. The bottle-bottom markings seem to indicate the 750 came from 1991, and the liter 1989. A couple of 375ml and 200ml bottles I've found from that era also are 80 proof.

So, did AAA 10yo go from 80 to 90 and then today's 86?

When I used to get it easily in Atlanta back in the early 70's, it was always 90-proof. At least, that is the way I remember it - that was a long time ago!

Tim

The AAA 10 year old is fairly common here in Japan, not every store has it, but a lot of them do. It is usually priced around $20 US which is about as cheap as the good stuff gets here. Should I be stocking up on this, too? Or will Japan continue to have this fine bourbon on the shelves?

Ed

Okay, I'm stumped. I just called Elmer and he said to the best of his recollection, AAA 10 year has always been 86 proof. I tried calling some of our old-timers and have discovered that everyone is on vacation this week. I will continue to investigate this.

Ken

Ken,

I stand corrected. I re-checked and the 90 proof bottle is a 10 Star, not 10 y/o as previously stated. Elmer's recollection is probably correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Joe usflag.gif

Here's a shot of the label.

I have a liter, 750ml, 2 375mls and a 200ml, all which say "80 proof", and all found in Tennessee, carrying either a TN strip-seal or shoulder tax stamp. However, to the best of my recollection, the first 200ml I ever discovered here WAS 86 proof.

post-367-14489811955564_thumb.jpg

Well, the picture sure makes it difficult to argue otherwise! I am going over to Elmer's house in a little while and I am going to have to confront him with the evidence. I wanted to ask Gary Gayheart, but he retired last month and everyone else is out this week.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

At the Vienna ABC store...750s and 1.75s, plenty of both left. The 1.75s were $26, I think.

Yowzers. This is excellent stuff. Balanced, a bit sweeter than I normally like (almost an anejo rum-like edge to the finish), but balanced, complex, and ever so affordable. I bought 2 1.75Ls the other day. I might need to get a couple more before it all swirls down the fashionable brand sink.

• 2 weeks later...

Spirits writer Jim Murray would agree with you. He said that AAA was one of the 5 best bourbons in the world.

Ken

I can't help but thinking that cocktailians would enjoy this in a sidecar-type drink.

I'm trying to put together a vertical of AAA 10year and would like a little help dating a couple of bottles I've found.

-80proof 1990s?

On the left is a tamper-resistant plastic capped bottle with a rounded corner square bottle. It is 80 proof, stated in bottom left corner of front.

-86proof 1980s?

On the right is a strip stamp, non tamper-resistant cap with less rounded corners on a square bottle. It is 86 proof, stated in bottom left corner of front.

Since Ken Weber stated that "86 proof is the current iteration of AAA 10 Year," earlier in this thread and that the proof statement is left justified not centered, I assume that not even the newer of these 2 is current issue.

Any ideas on the approximate dates on these 2 bottles?

-Roger

post-981-14489811998173_thumb.jpg

I can tell just by looking at these bottles that they were produced over a decade ago. We have changed the labels and bottles a while back and these pre-date the change.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.