What does one do in Kentucky in September?

Rughi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Other than Bourbon Festival things, that is.

My wife is gamely coming along on our Bourbecue road trip, but isn't sure she can JUST do bourbon from thursday afternoon to sunday morning.

By the way, she's more crafty (spinning, knitting, weaving)and into traditional music than a War of Northern Aggression buff.

Any suggestions welcome. She will probably have the rental car at her disposal, as I'm not so sure I'll be driving much... toast.gif

Roger - Just one more bottle, please - Hodges

Roger,

A trip down I75 to Berea is a great way to appreciate the Appalachian Crafts of KY. Stop in at The Boone Tavern, which is operated by Berea College. Bernheim Forest is nearby. Do you play golf? (I don't) Plenty of golf around.

State parks are great. See Cumberland falls, Lake Cumberland, Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge, Cave Run Lake. Plenty of good antiquing. I think that Harness Racing will be in Lexington at The Red Mile. Minor League Baseball In Louisville and Lex. Bike riding. Canoe Kentucky in Frankfort. Mamouth Cave. Corvette Museum. River Boat excursion and dinner. Vineyards. Lincoln Birthplace. Bunch of Fall Festivals from Apple to Wooly Worms. Stock Car Racing on dirt or asphalt. Kentucky Horse Park. Shaker Village. Fishing and Frog Giggin'. I think you should be able to fill up three days.

toast.gif

Pepcycle.......

The food man!! Tell em' about the food!! Fudge from the monks, hot brown's, bourbon breakfast, etc.!

I second Ed's suggestion of Berea. Popped into my mind the second I read your post. Stay and eat at the Boone Tavern. Great place. Also Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. Wonderful.

Hey Roger,

There's plenty to see within a few minutes drive too. Lots of antique shops, several nice galleries. Have a look here:

Brenda's half-done website

That's a new Bardstown page. (I know I say this everytime...) Pardon the holes and spaces. I still have a bunch to add, so check back before Festival time. I hope to have it done by then (God willin' an the creek don't rise...;-)

Bj

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I just got back from Hawaii, and am already scheming on places to visit in Kentucky, Tennessee, and South Carolina on our trip.

Keep those suggestions coming. I just got Susan Reigler's "Adventures in Dining" book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Actually, the whole time I was planning Hawaii, I was really wanting to be planning the Bourbecue road trip, but I had an epiphany while in Hawaii

Hawaii may be no good for bourbon, but it is a really nice place.

For those who haven't been, I heartily encourage it. I can't vouch for the more touristy Oahu and Maui (I've heard), but the big island has a lot to recommend it.

Roger - Just one more bottle, please - Hodges

..I can't vouch for the more touristy Oahu and Maui...

I can. Waikiki/Honolulu from atop Diamond Head...:

post-367-14489811957226_thumb.jpg

I know lots of people who tell me they love Bardstown -- and they don't drink any bourbon shocked.gif

I know, kind of makes you want to cry doesn't it wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Actually touring Mammoth Cave is an awesome adventure. Just make sure to go on-line to purchase your tour tickets several days in advance. Few people know you can do this and it saves standing in a long line only to be told all of the good tours are sold out.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.