What got you started

Isoflex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm wondering what got everyone started in bourbon on this list. For me I started drinking bourbon at a illegal age of 16 with Weller SR and just stayed with it until about 2 years ago (I'm 40+ now) when someone suggested it was "rotgut". Of course that person's idea of good "bourbon" was JD!shocked.gif Anyhow it got me to thinking, the only Bourbons I had ever had were WLW SR, AA, and Evan Williams. I have now tried MANY other fine permium bourbons so I am glad this all happened. Every time I venture into a wet county I come out with a new bourbon. It is truly amazing how different a tightly regulated product can be. Thank goodness. So what got you all started???

Started drinking Old Grandad & water at the tender age of 21. Drank it for 20 years, then a friend of mine turned me on to Evan Williams Black. Drank it over ice for 15 years. I then went to a Bluegrass Festival in Owensboro, Kentucky (also to Bardstown). Drank many different bourbons. I then started to collect them. I'm now up to 62 and like em all, some better than others. Bluegrass & Bourbon - both home grown.

Joe usflag.gif

When I was a young man I drank beer mostly. A little tequila, once in a in while some JD or Jim Beam White and coke. When I met my first wife she drank scotch blends on the rocks. I tried that, but never really warmed up to it. Some time in my twenties I started to drink Jim Beam more often. On the rocks or with coke. When we went camping I would often take a bottle of Beam. It was lighter than packing in beer. When I came to Japan at age thirty I continued to drink Beam White and tried a number of other cheap bourbons. Rolling K, Early Times plus some more slightly more expensive ones, Four Roses Yellow Label, I.W. Harper and Wild Turkey 8 year old 101 proof. That last was my favorite, I always bought a bottle for the holidays or vacation, my birthday any special occasion. Day in day out I drank Beam.

Around age forty I stopped drinking Beam and drank Wild Turkey 101. I drank a lot of other spirits as well. Glenlivit 12 year old, tequila, Black Bush, that last was my luxury whiskey. I quite drinking entirely for about two years. I began again last fall. I didn't want to drink as much as I had before, nor did I want to drink any more crap. A science fiction book I read mentioned Maker's Mark and I bought a bottle which I enjoyed. I got a bottle of Black Bush, a bottle of Bushmill's single malt 10 year old and one of Glenlivit 12. Then I started searching the net and bought Jim Murray's 2004 whiskey bible which I started to read online on Amazon using their search this book function. That was in December 2004. Initially, I bought a lot of single malts and scotch blends, but I was buying some bourbon right from the start. Soon I was buying and drinking mostly bourbon though I still enjoy malt whiskey from time to time.

Ed

Rolling K,

Never heard of this one before. Is it a Jim Beam-product for the Japanese market?

Joined the Corps at 16 (you could sorta get away with that back then) and along with scotch and cigars, bourbon was a right of passage. I didn't expand past having 5 or 6 for the first 20 years but after Desert Shield/Storm it started to grow. Stabilized at about 40 now mostly because that is what fills up the cabinet and more won't fit.

It was a Satrday afternoon with nothing going on, so Leslie and I decided to drive to Loretto and visit that Maker's Mark Distillery we had heard about. I quickly became facinated with the process and the fact that we lived right in the middle of all of it. That evening I went to the Liquor Barn and bought my first bottle. After a few more bottles of Maker's I tried a bottle of Woodford Reserve, which I liked, but in a different way. After that it was Wild Turkey 80, as the 101 proof scared me at the time lol.gif I realized there was more to this bourbon thing than I thought, and I set out to find as much information as I could. That's when I stumbled upon this site. Well, stumbled is the wrong word, as all you have to do is enter the word "bourbon" into any search engine and we are at the top of the list toast.gif After finding this wonderful resource, I spent the next year or so trying everything I could get my hands on. I've tried most of what's currently available and I've settled into a pattern of favorites, but every visit to the gazebo reminds me that there is more out there than can ever be truely appreciated by one person. It has been fun, and there is still a long journey ahead.

Stabilized at about 40 now mostly because that is what fills up the cabinet and more won't fit.

Isn't that always the limiting factor!

I know I've already posted this before somewhere, so I'll try to keep it brief. I also hope I'm consistent with what I said before, and don't contradict myself!!

I had a friend in college back in '84 or '85 that really enjoyed "Austin Nichols with clear ice", which was, of course, WT 101 (8 years old back then).

I pretty much continued to enjoy WT 101 off and on throughout college and afterward. In the '90s, I tried a few other things; scotch blends (mostly JW Red), martinis and cognac (Courvoisier vsop), but always had a bottle of WT or that new Rare Breed in the cupboard. For some reason, I never tried any bourbon other than Wild Turkey.

Around April of 2004, I found myself interested in getting a proper glass for drinking bourbon, and found the Riedel glass, and so I got a bottle of something new to go with it . . . Knob Creek.

Then, I found this site, and everything changed. My stash gradually increased over the next ten months or so, until I filled up all the available shelf space on the back bar (and then some).

Perhaps the fact that the house we moved to in 2003 has a 10 ft. old bar in it was a coincidence, but I think it was pure providence! What better place to showcase my 30 different bourbons and ryes (and a few other things that other folks seem to need to have around to drink)!

I think I've posted something similar before, but here goes...

Started drinking Bundaberg Rum & Coke (ilegally) at around the age of 16. Tried (too much) Walker Red Label scotch & coke one night at around the same age and still can't handle the smell of scotch some 20 years later. Continued drinking Rum until the age of 18 (the legal age of drinking is 18 in Australia) when I just couldn't handle the taste of it any more. A friend from my Surf Life Saving Club gave me a Jim Beam and coke to drink one night and I was hooked. It has been my drink of choice ever since. About 3 years ago on an overseas trip, I took a chance and picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Bonded and Woodford Reserve. I continued to drink them with coke and was amazed at the different tastes (even with the coke mixer) About 2 years ago my Fiance' picked me up a bottle of Bookers and I discovered the first 'neat' bourbon that I liked. 18 months ago I happened upon this site which has put me on the path of drinking most of my bourbons neat or on ice and has seen me try over 20 different bourbons now. thankyousign.gif The journey continues slowly due to the limited availability of most bourbons in Australia but at least almost every overseas trip still results in a 'new find' laugh.gif

I found myself at loose ends after ending a 25-year, by-then-part-time sportswriting career (I'd never been without at last a second job before), so parlayed my wine knowledge into a 12-hour-a-week job behind a liquor store counter. Tennessee is whisk(e)y country, and we sell plenty -- Canadian, Scotch, Tennessee whiskey AND bourbon. So, I started bringing home a mini here, a 200ml bottle there, finding an occasional Scotch or Canadian I liked, but only really enjoying en masse the bourbon. Then, like so many others, I discovered StraightBourbon.com, and began learning why I liked it. And, as Jeff said, it only takes a single SB.com experience -- for me, it was Bettye Jo's private HH tour and a gathering at Ed's on Maker's Mark Mile weekend last year, solidified by the Festival last fall -- to expand one's bourbon horizons. Fortunately for me, this is a good part of the world in which to get most current products, and there are occasional older bottlings waiting to be sought out. I've now tried more than 140 different renditions, only finding 2-3 that I wouldn't unthinkingly accept if offered. Them's pretty good odds.

I became interested in bourbon after drinking Black Maple Hill (Lawrenceburg)16 yr old. It was actually a gift for a good friend of mine, who I was visiting in Tennessee. I knew nothing about bourbon, but wanted to buy him a gift and scotch just didn't feel right. I decided to pick BMH 16 because it looked interesting. My friend opened it and we were both pleasantly surprised. At the end of my weekend visit the bottle was close to finished and when I returned home to California I picked up one for myself. BMH 16 was the only bourbon I drank for several years until I started doing research and came across this site, which was about a year ago.

Like you I spent my spare change at Miley's, where if they could see your face you were old enough. About 16 and JB period. Then JB Black many years later. Makers was next for a short time. The industry took off and now I drink a little of all of it when I have time.

Only drink once a week, exceptions for holidays and when I'm out of town.

If I let it my love for Bourbon can be and has been at times a bit of a problem.

I don't know who makes Rolling K. I haven't had it for more than ten years, but remember thinking it wasn't worth drinking if Jim Beam White was available. Next time I see it I will check to see where it was distilled. Next time I see it for under ten bucks I will buy it to see what I think of it now.

Ed

For me, I used to mostly drink beer. Then, in 1999, I brought home a bottle of SMSW (Aberlour 10yo) on the way home from a UK trip. As a noob, I didn't realize that this wasn't particularly rare, so I nursed it along for a long time. After it ran out, I started trying a variety of different Scotches - and then I started on other whiskies - Irish, Japanese, and, of course, bourbon.

As a general rule, I never drink the same thing two days in a row. While my stash is rather modest compared to some of the pictures I've seen here and elsewhere, it would still land me in jail if I had the misfortune of living in a dry county. smile.gif

I tend to go for high-quality-for-the-buck products - though I sometimes splurge and get a luxury bottle (e.g. Stagg, or Ardbeg 1977). Fortunately, high-end bourbons tend to be more affordable!

Latest bottle, bought today: ORVW 15yo 107 proof, single-barrel bottling for Sam's. Amidst a sea of similar-looking ORVW 10/107 bottles, there were two of the 15. One came home with me... but it may be a while before I actually get around to opening it.

For me it had primarily to do with what was available to steal from my parent's liquor cabinet. They always had bourbon in there. Since the object was to grab the booze and run, bourbon was the ticket; no mixer required. grin.gif

That was certainly where my first experience with bourbon originated, but I am at a loss to explain my taste for it. I love bourbon today, and I always have. I was in my early twenties when I really began to enjoy the flavor of it, and 34 when I discovered that there was something beyond JB White and MM. Once I got a taste of Blanton's, it was on.

I can certainly understand how Blanton's would get you started! It is still king of the hill for me, though there is a crowd of good bourbons trying to take its place.

Ed

Last Sept. 2004 we opened up a bottle of Bourbon that was

started in Fall 1951 and bottled in Spring 1964 made by

"Old Farmers Distillery". It sat in a cool dry basement in a box never opened for about 40 years... It's a 12 year

100 proof bourbon and "WOW" what a Bourbon... So amazed I started doing research on "Old Farmers Distillery" #20.

I became a member of "Straightbourbon" and asked alot of questions....THANKS Bettyjo, THANKS Chuck.....As they were

very helpful in answering my questions along with Sam Cecils book. At this point a few of us started buying Bourbon to see if we could match the taste (or close) of the Old Farmers.....29 bottles later(about 100 left to try) and a newly formed Bourbon Club we still haven't found a bottle that is

the same as the Old Farmers....BUT we found a lot very NICE Bourbons along the way.....THANKS Pappy..... It's been a fun venture gaining new friends and alot of great bourbon along the way...We can't wait to go to Kentucky To visit the Distilleries.

P.S. Old Farmers Distillery #20. 12 year 100 proof.

Very smooth, no heat, strong buttery toffee, maples and vanilla tastes...Has the nicest "nose" of any bourbon

yet... Makes you want to put it on your pancakes after your first sniff...

Enjoy.............. toast.gif

And THANK YOU Straightbourbon. Keep up the good work.

As I now enter the world of Advanced Taster........

Life is Good..... toast.gif

I used to drink Jack and Coke in college. For my college graduation my friends bought me a bottle of Knob Creek and I continued drinking Jack and Coke and Knob Creek and Coke. I later received a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my birthday and tried it on the rocks. I drank KC and WR on the rocks for a few years and eventually switched to drinking them straight. In the last year I have tried to expand my collection by tasting as many different bourbons as possible. This is what led me to this wonderful/helpful site.

My then-girlfriend bought me a tiny book about whisk(e)y. I knew nothing but had expressed an interest in at least learning a little about it. The book covered the basics of the various categories, but was mostly photographs. I was interested enough to buy a bottle.

My first was Power's Irish. A single malt followed: Aberlour 10. The third purchase was a bottle of ORVW 10/90 that I found while visiting Portland, OR. The bourbon was a clear favorite, but I liked them all. Many additional bottles followed, even though I swore I wouldn't become a collector. So I have this girl to thank for what will undoubtedly be a lifelong interest.

My wife works for a book publishing company. A few years ago I was hanging around her office after work one night while she finished something up, and pulled a sample copy of one of their books off the shelf to read to kill time. It was Jim Murray's "Complete Guide to Whiskey" or something like that---a little black book with a picture of various whiskies on the cover. Glancing through it, the thing that most intrigued me was Murray's waxing rhapsodic about rye. It made me want to try some. So, I took a copy of the book home, and began spending a lot of time in the whiskey aisles of local liquor stores. Initially I focused mostly on rye and Scotch, but I started picking up bourbons, too---mainly, I wanted to have an example from each of the active distilleries. That made a good theme for tastings, which I started holding for friends and family.

After a while I noticed that despite my extensive Scotch collection I often found myself turning to bourbon when I wanted a wee dram for recreational purposes. My initial round of bourbon buying had been fairly pedestrian expressions, but once I sampled a few premium bourbons, I became a much more enthusiastic bourbon consumer.

Just recently my American whiskey collection eclipsed in size my Scotch collection, although if rye is considered separately I still have more Scotch than bourbon. I still like Scotch, and rye, and Irish whiskey for that matter, but bourbon has taken a commanding lead in my estimation.

The main thing I have this board to thank for is discovering Old Granddad BIB, which is one of my favorite everyday pours now. When my current bottle is gone I'm going to try the OGD 114.

I guess after the cold winter of 1956-57, and some cold nights, hot between the sheets, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, 1956. I accompanied my mother to the bottling house at Jim Beam for the next 9 months. I couldn't see or smell much, but I do think the rarified air she was breathing was transferred to my bloodstream. The hums, whizzes,and whurring of the machinery and the clanking of the bottles, I believe I do have a recollection of, as well as getting bumped on the ass a few times with full bottles of Jim Beam. Yep, then and there, that did it for me! lol.giftoast.gif

That's a awsome story, Bobby grin.gif I just love it! grin.gif

Bettye Jo

I was a JD shots kind of guy in college. In fact, I did 8 shots in 45 minutes once, and THEN went to class!!! falling.gif

After college I grew up alot, and when my wife and I went camping with my parents, my dad would always sip Wild Turkey 101 around the campfire. So, I tried it and liked it. But it wasn't until about 3 years later I decided to seriously explore bourbon. I did some pre-drinking research and chose bourbon due to the fact that it is uniquely American, and the only thing they can add to it is H2O. So, it's the real thing.

So for about the last 2 years, I've been exploring, and enjoying, bourbon.

This site has been a wonderful online knowledge base. Thanks.

toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.