Evan Williams Single Barrel 1989

jsgorman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have the opportunity, to purchase a couple of bottles of EWSB 1989 from a store I just happened into. I'm wondering if these bottles are any more special than the current release. My benchmark Bourbons are the Blantons' Gold, 16 YO Hirsch and Stagg....

Obviously the 1989 isn't being made any longer so you may see your only chance to get that year. The 1989 for no other reason would be a good year to have on hand for trade goods if you're so inclined. Beyond that, the current 1995 bottling is a fine drink.

Looks like you're drinking some good pours, welcome on here. toast.gif

I´ve had the -88. It was good but no match for the -92 and -93 vintages which are the other ones I´ve tried.

Hedmans, just wait til the 94 or 95 gets to you if you liked the 92 and 93. Too bad it takes so long to make it across the pond to you.

The -94 has actually been around for a long time. It´s just that I don´t recall reading anywhere that it is drastically different from its predecessors. I sometimes have to restrain myself from investing too much. You gotta have ample time to give a fair assessment to each and every bottle.

Anyway, if you believe the -94 to be mandatory stuff then you have the opportunity now to persuade me.

There are actually some pros with living in a control-obsessed country, the checking of availability of liquor being one. At the moment there are exactly 87 bottles of EWSB 94 spread throughout liquor stores in Sweden so there´s plenty to pick from. smile.gif

Having tried the 93, 94 and 95, I will say that the 93 was by far my least favorite of the three, with too much harshness and char for my tastes. The 94 and 95 are close, with the 95 beating out the '94 by a hair. Both are wonderful, wonderful bourbons. I am not certain how they are priced outside the US, but over here they are one of the best deals around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.