A couple of finds today

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While out and about today, I dropped in at a liquor store and saw, surprisingly enough, a few bottles of the 2004 (129 proof) Stagg. bowdown.gif Needless to say, one bottle followed me home; another would have if budgetary considerations hadn't intruded. How does it stack up against the Spring '05 131.8 proof?

Elsewhere, I found some Ancient Ancient Age 10yo/86 proof, and picked up a bottle to take home as well.

...2004 (129 proof) Stagg...How does it stack up against the Spring '05 131.8 proof?

The general consensus is that the Spring 2005 issue ranks either second (to the original 2002) or first among Staggs. The 2004 is pretty universally acclaimed third, ahead of the powerhouse (142.7 proof) 2003.

Keep in mind, though, that this is just comparing them to each other. Against almost anything else but the finest pours, any of them wins.

Most here will disagree, but the 2004, 129 proof ranks as best in my opinion yum.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped by a store I'd never been in before (even though it's only 20 minutes away?!?) and found:

Wild Turkey Tribute (2)

Wild Turkey RR 101 (1)

and a Canadian - 40 Creek Barrel select they were discontinuing for $10.60!

What a great day!

Cheers,

Ken drink.gif

Ken, you will enjoy the Barrel Select - it is made by a distillery that is part of Ontario's Kittling Ridge Winery, located in Grimsby, not all that far from Niagara Falls. This whisky is distilled in a pot still, apparently in one run, and is a combination (would anyone accuse Kittling Ridge of whisky "sins"? - if not lay off Tim and me smile.gif) - of three whiskies: an all-barley whisky, all-corn whisky and all-rye whisky. It is very good, not as rich and big as an American straight but still very nice.

Currently I am sipping a mingling of Barrel Select, 3 Grain (a younger, different whisky made by Kittling Ridge) and Royal Reserve, a Corby brand (Hiram Walker) Canadian whisky. My blend is (ahem) much better than each on its own, but each is still very good, of course. Mine is soft, rich, redolent of the oak in the Barrel Select but holding notes of the spice and cherry that characterise the 3 Grain. And the silky-yet-rye-edged Royal Reserve displays these divers characteristics to perfection.

I'd say I've got 4 parts Barrel Select, 1 part 3 Grain, 1 part (maybe 2) Royal Reserve. Sin City, okay. smile.gif

Gary

Thanks Gary, I read a couple reviews of the barrel select earlier and put it on my "keep an eye out for it" list. When I saw it on the shelf I decided to get one, then I saw Ohio delisted it and the price went from $19 to $10.60, so I just took their remaining stock...... Oops! cool.gif

Then, standing at the register I saw the two Tributes (how much cash do I have......??? Rifle the wallet....) Never tried it so I'm really looking forward to it as well.... I should go buy a lottery ticket today!!

Cheers,

Ken

The Tribute and RR are fine whiskey, you'll enjoy them. Rich and chewy, the acme of bourbon.

Gary

The Tribute and RR are fine whiskey, you'll enjoy them. Rich and chewy, the acme of bourbon.

Gary, thanks for extending my vocabulary! I never knew the word acme before (" the highest point or stage; also : one that represents perfection of the thing expressed").

My only exposure was as a kid watching Wyle E. Coyote & Road Runner cartoons shocked.gif

Cheers,

Ken

This may surprise you but I used to LOVE Road Runner - beep beep!

Gary

This may surprise you but I used to LOVE Road Runner - beep beep!

No surprize there. I (unfortunately) model too many of my projects after WEC!

Cheers,

Ken smil41df29a15fb35.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.