Flip

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a old book, Irvin S. Cobb's, Own Recipe Book, published just for "drink recipes" in 1937...

This old book has been around, on the front cover there is a stamp..."Toohey's Liquor Store, 209 N Union St., Phone 3522 Lic. L. 4422"

This is from that book:

Yet consider how starkly elemental were the beginnings of this fine art: The earliest chronicled American potation was called Flip. The formula required that there be a stirred into a pitcher of strong home-brewed, or amateur beer enough crude molasses to sweeten the beer and give it something to fight with. To the above conglomeration, for harmony's sake, was added rum in the proportion of one full jorum of the rum for each drinker, thus conferring general authority on the whole. And after that, as a dainty final stroke, the mess was heated by plunging into it a red-hot poker. And then---believe it or not, dearly beloveds,---and then our sturdy brass-lined forbears actually drank it...

They drank it for breakfast!

The rest of the forenoon being spent in songs and folk-dancing.

------------------

This old book has alot of "old time" recipes in it grin.gifgrin.gif Mint Julep...is the most discussed and debated recipe. There are several...and they firmly state that fresh "mint" is used...Not peppermint grin.gif

Bettye Jo

Dane,

Just for fun go to Google and search for "definition jorum". It turns out it's not a unit of measure at all, as far as I can see.

Perhaps you meant to say "firkin". lol.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hi Dane,

Jorum, means drinking bowl grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

I LOVE old cocktail and drink books. Great little vintage book there, sounds like. If I'm ever honored to visit your lovely home again, I'd love to see it.

THE SAVOY COCKTAIL BOOK (1930) is one of my treasures. Page 187 says, "The Flip, particularly the variety made with Rum, is renowned as an old-fashioned drink of great popularity among sailors. It is usually made in the following manner:--

1 Egg

1/2 Tablespoon of Powdered Sugar

1 Glass Rum, Brandy, Port Wine, Sherry, or Whisky

Shake well and strain into medium size glass. Grate a little nutmeg on top. In cold weather a dash of Jamaica Ginger can be added."

This recipe is followed by lengthy instruction on making an Ale Flip and recommends it for a cold.

More Flip recipe's are toward the back of the book grin.gif...

1 Egg, 1 teaspoon Powdered Sugar, 1 jigger Four Roses or Paul Jones Whiskey. Shake well with cracked ice, strain into cocktail glass, sprinkle with nutmeg on top. This is especially recommended for one of those days when the frost is on the pumpkin.

Sherry Flip: Same as Whiskey Flip using Sherry instead of Whiskey.

Bettye Jo

P.S. I will be having another party during the Bourbon Festival grin.gif

Flips go right back to England, they were made for hundreds of years before the Mayflower came often using ale, sherry as Bettye Jo mentioned, rum or other drinks commonly available in the U.K. By the time that book was written in the 1930's, some flips had transformed into cocktails (essentially the same kind of drink but smaller-scale) but had disappeared largely from England and after the war the same happened in the U.S., almost no one drinks these things now. They originally were made as indicated with eggs which meant they were made on farms or country estates where chickens were readily available. With the onset of urban living, the idea to use eggs for this purpose faded. Tom and Jerry was a similar concoction, also British originally, and there were many other old drinks like bowls, bounces (cherry bounce), punches, broses (means broth), and so forth. All consigned to the storeroom of history except when someone finds them like here. They can be fun to recreate, these old mixtures.

Gary

And, of course, the word punch come from the Sanscrite/Hindi word for five. Five fruit juices, originally.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. I love Tom and Jerry's and my entire holiday season was made last year when someone invited me over to a Tom and Jerry party. I was so inspired that I purchased an antique Tom and Jerry set (bowl with mugs) from ebay. Maybe we should have a cocktail night at the Gazebo?

Thanks, LeNell, great idea! Tell us more about that party, was there one cocktail offered or were different versions made?

Gary

The party was inspired by the Al Hirshfield book called MANHATTAN OASES that is now in reprint. I have since landed an original copy to join the ranks with other holy books. I believe other drinks were a possibility at the party, but I was so enthralled with my Tom & Jerry, I didn't pay much attention. It was late after leaving the store at midnight so I was in the mood to veg out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.