OLD RIP VAN WINKLE 15 - 107

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is ORVW 15 - 107 in the squat (Frankfort) bottle Stitzel-Weller bourbon?

Joe usflag.gif

Is ANY Van Winkle product, 12 years or older, a Stitzel-Weller Bourbon??

Joe usflag.gif

No. The earliest Pappy 23s from Lawrenceburg, at least, were rye bourbons, probably from Boone Bros. (Julian poured some of his earliest Pappy 20, which was Boone bourbon, too, at the Gazebo following the Sampler). And, the last of the Van Winkle Lot B 12yo using S-W bourbon will be/has been bottled this month, according to Julian. Hereafter, it will be Buffalo Trace wheat.

Tim,

How about the later Pappy 20's and the ORVW-10's?

Joe thankyousign.gif

Yes on the Pappy 20s, maybe on the Frankfort ORVW 10s, currently and hereafter with BT distillate, but at one time S-W.

Sigh. If I was still imbibing, I would be in deep mourning. Heck, I am still mourning its passing. frown.gif The Lot B 12 yo was my favorite VW bourbon. In fact, if I had had to choose one bottling of any bourbon to drink for the rest of my life, I would have chosen it.

. . . the last of the Van Winkle Lot B 12yo using S-W bourbon will be/has been bottled this month, according to Julian. Hereafter, it will be Buffalo Trace wheat.

No intervening Bernheim? Is the BT wheat bourbon that old now?

I'm quite sure Tim meant to say there will be Bernheim wheated whiskey in the 12yo until the BT wheated gets to be 12 yo. Somewhere on these boards I believe Julian stated when BT (re)-started distilling wheated bourbon and you can do the math to know when the change to BT might occur.

Randy

...No intervening Bernheim? Is the BT wheat bourbon that old now?

You caught me -- geesh, after all these years I still need an editor! banghead.gifWhat I meant to say (yeah, yeah wink.gif) was 'BT-owned' non-S/W whiskey. Of course, like all the other knowledgeable folks here, you knew I meant that. spin_icon.gif

I was not trying to be a smartass; sorry if it came across that way. I didn't recall when BT started distilling for the Van Winkles. I'm sure I could have found that somewhere on here. I know the 10yo ORVW is Bernheim, but I thought maybe there was some small amount of old BT wheat bourbon that had been saved for the small batch 12yo.

I didn't take it that way at all. Was a little disappointed in myself that I didn't spell out the Bernheim connection myself. I deserved chastisement/correction. duel.gif

I didn't recall when BT started distilling for the Van Winkles.

Beyond, or before that, somewhere on these forums you will find a post by Ken Weber that BT produced wheated distillate for united and the conclusion that the Weller brands came full circle to BTs ownership and some had been produced by them as well. I think the same is true of Old Charter as well.

That's the best I can do at the moment I don't have the time to search a link for the above statements' veracity, believe me if it's wrong there will be a pounce!

• 3 weeks later...

Your contention is correct. BTD started distilling wheated bourbon for UD (United Distillers) in the early 90s. Our recently retired Master Distiller, Gary Gayheart, was making Old Charter Bourbon (long ago Schenley brand) decades ago.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.