Gin

LeNell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tasted through quite a few gins recently to give my folks a break from bourbon. (Imagine that? Why would anyone want anything else, right?)

LONDON DRY

Juniper Green: First gin made from all organic ingredients in England. Distilled at Thames distillery which is the only one to distill and bottle in London. This one only uses 4 botanicals, where most use about 8-10. This makes for a less complex London Dry, but still quite flavorful.

Broker's: Triple distilled in 200 year old copper pot still using wheat base. Botanicals steeped 24 hours, then distilled 4th time. Sweet on the nose with citrus and pepper on the finish.

PLYMOUTH

Plymouth Dry: Whereas London Dry's can be made anywhere, Plymouth is a style that must come from Plymouth, England. First distilled in 1793, it’s made at the historic Black Friars Distillery in Plymouth where it originated over 200 years ago. Relatively full-bodied. Uses wheat based spirit. Oldest working gin distillery. Reported to be used in one of original recordings of Martini cocktail. (Indeed it is often called for in vintage cocktail books for other cocktails, as well.) A wonderful gin both on its on and in cocktails.

GENEVER

Boomsma Jonge: Made primarily from "malt wine" which is a mixture of malted barley, wheat, corn, and rye. Juniper plays less of a role in flavoring. Soft flavor with less juniper spice than London Dry.

Boomsma Oude: Blend of wheat spirits, malt distillates, and aged in oak barrels for at least a year. A whiskey lover's gin. Sweet, full, sippable.

GERMAN

Schlichte Steinhaeger: Definitely too soft to mix. Lower proof than most gins at 80. Finishes with delicate whisper of vanilla.

FRENCH

Citadelle: By cognac's Gabriel & Andreu, Citadelle is quadruple-distilled in small batches in traditional copper pot stills based on a recipe dating back to 1771 that combines an unequaled nineteen botanicals. Sold in hand-fired bottles. It’s base spirit made from wheat. Botanicals placed in bag then distilled. So many flavorings make for a "busy" flavor profile with so many different things going on it's hard to define.

Magellan: Naturally blue color from iris. Wheat base spirit with botanicals distilled in cloth for fourth distillation in copper pot still. A very elegant gin with complexity and balance. Notes of clove, cardamon, nutmeg along with the juniper spice. Makes beautiful martinis.

SCOTTISH

Hendricks: Only one to use cucumber and rose petal in the botanical blend. Perfumed floral nose, indeed. Exotic flavor that is soft, yet amazingly complex. Too exotic for gin and tonics, in my opinion, where the tonic overpowers the delicate aroma Hendricks offers.

US

Junipero: Pronounced hugh-nee'-pair-oh. Made by Fritz Maytag at Anchor Distilling (think of Old Potrero). A full throttle style at 98.6 with pronounced evergreen aromas and big spicy flavor. Made amazing martinis when heavy on vermouth, and stirred 100 times to dilute that proof.

Great summary, I was wondering about several of those... We have the Hendericks and the Magellan here. I'll have to try them. Most curious about the Junipero.... Not available here. My 'normal' Gin (if I have such a thing), is Tanqueray #10. It's good. Nice botanicals, smooth. Can't find the Vya Vermouth to go with it though.....

Cheers,

Ken

I have a bottle of Broker's and I enjoy it. I didn't realize it was supposed to be such a special product. It was a close-out at my ABC store and I only paid about $12 for it. Also, that means there won't be any more to buy around here.

Tim

Wow! That's a great price!

We actually had good fun with the Broker's. For those of you who don't know, the gin is packaged with a little bowler cap on the lid. The company gave me condoms packaged in little matchbooks that said, "Don't forget to wear your hat!"

• 1 month later...

I have discovered a new gin that I really like. For years I have been a fan of Tanquerey but now I prefer Martin Millers Reformed London Dry Gin. It is pot distilled and has a less pronounced Juniper flavor.

I was never a fan of Tanqueray (too "piney"). For quite a long time I drank Bombay Sapphire, but I switched to Plymouth Dry Gin, and have never looked back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.