Stagg & Old Charter

BobA
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are these the same mashbills? A couple of times, usually on first taste of the Stagg, I am reminded, fleetingly, of OC 12. I like OC 12 just fine, but that hasn't happened with any other bourbon. Just curious.

Bob

George T. Stagg and Old Charter come from BT Mash Bill #1, same as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare.

Ken

That's interesting. I've always thought of OC as one of the most distinctive tasting bourbons out there, and I've never made any connection between OC and ER, despite that they are two pretty common pours for me. Thanks.

Bob

Thanks for the top secret information, Ken!

I am surprised though. I had understood that Old Charter was from a very high corn mashbill. Chuck Couwdrey's book says more than 80% corn. Is this true? Much as I would like to know please don't tell any real secrets.

And what other bourbons are made from what other mashbills? If that is not asking too much...

Ed thankyousign.gif

George T. Stagg and Old Charter come from BT Mash Bill #1, same as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare

Sounds like we need a bonded 10yr Old Charter to replace our beloved Eagle Rare 101. tongue.gif

Also interesting that I had chosen the 12yr Old Charter as my new house pour, now that the Eagle Rare 101 was not readily available.

George T. Stagg and Old Charter come from BT Mash Bill #1, same as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare.

Ken

I don't supposed you'd be able to confirm (or deny) my suspicion that AAA, Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms are from a common mashbill as well (#2, perhaps?)?

Ken posted this in a different post.

"BT mashbill #2 (AAA) also produced Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's, and couple others."

Thanks BrewCrew,

I thought I had seen something like this under Ken's name, but I couldn't be sure as my memory is, is, is, ?

I am going to write this down before I forget what your post was about.

thankyousign.gif

Ed

That's interesting. I've always thought of OC as one of the most distinctive tasting bourbons out there, and I've never made any connection between OC and ER

Ditto - we love OC, especially the 12 year but never connected it with ER. Ought to do a side by side!

On another OC note - is OC's distribution getting more limited? It seems like we used to have no trouble finding it when travelling through MD, but recently one stray 1.75L OC 8 yo was all we turned up.

I can't say if the OC distribution is becomming limited, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's pretty common here in GA, but as I keep my eyes open for the 13-yr. PR (no luck), I have noticed that the 8-yr. isn't everywhere; many stores will have the 10 and 12, but no 8. That may reflect a supply issue, or just some pricing/inventory experience. The 8 is usullay a few dollars more than most other base, 80 proof pours, including BT's Benchmark (but not JB white, which is about the same price as the OC). Maybe that reflects the 8 years of inventory taxes, etc., but the 7-yr. EW and 6-yr. VOB (even at 90 proof) are under $10, while the the 8-yr. OC is usually $13-14. Would think they'd be closer in price.

Bob

Old Charter is a growing brand, which is good and bad. As it, Weller, Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare SB, etc., continue to grow, we are facing an allocation problem on everything we produce. There are occassional out-of-stock situations, but we are trying very hard to limit them. As an FYI, Old Charter 12 year old has become one of our sales forces favorite everyday bourbons, next to BT.

Ken

I'm sure keeping up with the demand for all your good bourbons is difficult. And I'm not surprised that the OC 12 is a favorite in-house. I'm still casting a wide net of exploration, but if I settled on 4 or 5 to keep around for regular pours, OC 12 would be one of them. Oddly, when I take it on a camping/fishing trip and put it on the table, I end up bringing most of it home, even when what I think of as notably lesser bourbons get emptied; probably my frineds just have no taste (as their choice in friends indicates). I suspect the story would be different if I put out a bottle of Stagg, but we'll never know.

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.