W.L. Weller 19 YO

DrinkyBanjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a bottle of this on eBay starting at $150. I've never tried this but I know it's quite rare these days. Anyone care to share some feelings about it?

Welcome,

As you become comfortable at navigating around the website, you will find the search function. I found this thread using the keywords "weller 19" that should be of interest to you, and there are many more, most comparing one bourbon to another that wouldn't be titled "Weller 19" but would have it in the body of the text.

Weller 19 tasting

Also, you didn't ask this question, but many new posters ask for advice on how much they should pay/sell for bourbon on ebay. Of course, it's probably illegal, but that seems to only be a wink-wink proposition for many. The following by Chuck Cowdery would only be partially applicable to your case but should be your first read on the value of whiskey in the marketplace.

Values of Old Bourbon

He has 0 bids and 4 days to go, with a starting bid of $150.00. I'll be interested to see how it plays out. I was going to say I didn't care much for this Bourbon , and I don't. From rereading the link Rughi provided it looks like I liked it fine at one point. I think Tim reported finding Weller 19 for 200 at a liquor store in Ky.

Drinky,

This Bourbon has long been one of my personal favorites. On the other hand, several folks with very educated palates disagree. There you have the beauty that is Bourbon... wink.gif.

Dawn (luv2hunt) was kind enough to score a bottle for me a few months ago. (Side note here: Dawn, you are amazing!!) I intend to bring it to the gazebo.

However, I have trouble paying $150 for a bottle of anything. There's too many fine Bourbons available for reasonable money to get that carried away... skep.gif

Bj

OK wait a minute....I didn't score a bottle of Weller 19 for Brenda.....it was a 12yr old WT falling.gif

I've never tasted the Weller 19, but I do have two unopened bottles. Don't ask how I got the second bottle....I'm still recovering from the embarassment! blush.gif Looking forward to tasting it in Sept! smile.gif

Dawn

OK wait a minute....I didn't score a bottle of Weller 19 for Brenda.....it was a 12yr old WT falling.gif

I've never tasted the Weller 19, but I do have two unopened bottles. Don't ask how I got the second bottle....I'm still recovering from the embarassment! blush.gif Looking forward to tasting it in Sept! smile.gif

Dawn

Oh Gawd, yes...you are exactly right... blush.gif. I feel so very stupid. Fact is, I haven't picked up that bottle of Turkey yet. My daughter is holding it hostage until September (so there's no chance of me popping the cork... lol.gif).

Dawn, I do have an open bottle of Weller 19 that I'll bring to the gazebo. Maybe we can taste them side by side.

That said, you know I've gotta ask how you got that second bottle... lol.gif If you don't want to share it in writing, maybe you'll share that story at the gazebo... wink.gif

And, FWIW you're still pretty amazing! wink.gif

Bj

...Don't ask how I got the second bottle....I'm still recovering from the embarassment!..

Some 'crazy woman' lol.gif bought 'em out from under me before I could get back there! I'm claiming a taste in Bardstown as a finder's fee.

I beg to differ.... ohgeez.gif The real story is that some "outspoken" woman wormed her way out of the store with a good deal in hand.....and then some "crazy" man proves her "rantings" wrong the very next day!

blush.gif

Weller 19 at $150 doesn't seen entirely bonkers. It is a bit high, IMHO. I must say that I hate to see this go above $100. It's a nice whiskey, and we look forward to having a celebration with all the Wellers that we can get our hands on someday.

It doesn't matter who bids on it, someone will snipe it with 5 seconds left in my experience. But fear not, recently licking my wounds after being sniped on a bottle I had been the high and only bidder on for all but 5 seconds of an auction I chanced upon my biggest steal so far. I found an ebay store with a bottle of Pappy 23 with (had to be a typo) a "buy it now" price of $99.00. A deal in itself, I got it today and it's a Lawrenceburg bottling. Jackpot!!!!!! So never dispair eBay shoppers, sometimes you have to take a step back to stagger two steps forward.

I bought my last bottle about 18 months ago for $42, and I left a half-dozen on the shelf ohgeez.gif Of course they are long gone now frown.gif Honestly, I don't care too much for the Weller 19yo. Seems very woody and astringent to me. But what a missed investment opportunity! cry.gifbanghead.giffrown.gif

I had a similar experience here in Lexington at the Liquor Barn. One day, out of nowhere, there were 5 bottles of Hirsch 20yo behind the glass case. Now that was remarkable enough considering I had never seen any Hirsch product for sale there before. Then came the amazing part: $85/ea bigeyes.gif They had to be mis-marked, but I bought them all before the "problem" could be fixed. bis.gif

Now that's a stash. There are a number of candidates for best whiskey in America and I'd put that one right at the top. Other candidates: Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig 18 year old, Very Old Barton 90 proof, Old Rip Van Winkle 12 and 13 year old ryes, and Jim Beam Black Label but only when I drink it at Talbott's in Bardstown. smile.gif

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.