Which one would you choose, and why?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A number of the people coming to Gazebo have posted what they will bring or may bring.

Which, a "prospective" basis, would you choose to try if you could only have one, and why?

This may interest those who can't go this year but also those who are going.

I would try an early 70's or older Old Grandad to determine if the whiskey of the era was really as different as many here believe from the current issue.

Gary

I think an early Old Grand Dad or Old Crow would be interesting. I have a curiosity to try some of the very early Bourbons someday.

Cheers,

Ken

I recently had an I.W. Harper from the "fifties". It was from an old decanter. It was cloudy, but it was one of the best bourbons I've ever had.

Joe usflag.gif

Gary,

My choice has already been noted on the "what ya bringin'?" page...but I'll put it here to boot. I'm heading to where Dave unloads his offerings, 'cause in his bag is a Maryland Rye!

At this time, in my exposure and tasting ability, I have come to the conclusion that Rye Whiskey or rye influenced Bourbons are of the type that express the most complexity, nose, mouth feel, palate and have the widest flavor profiles and longest finishes. Kinda sounds like someone is describing S#@%ch. (After all, that's where I came from)

That should suffice for your original question.

On a second note, I just couldn't resist...you wrote...

I would try an early 70's or older Old Grandad to determine if the whiskey of the era was really as different as many here believe from the current issue.

My response could easily be taken to another spot on the website. Also, I hope I don't run over Roger or Tim's posts regarding the last study group....but....Last Saturday evening we were lining up a row of Old Grand-Dads' and when we got to the current version of the 100 proof "Bonded" it felt like time hadn't moved for a month. The taste of that current version reminded me exactly of the disappointment of the BIB Old Forester current edition, when we did a flight of that brand. Again, as before, the contents of that glass went right into the dump bucket and the glass loaded in the dishwasher. Thankfully, when the dishwasher was emptied, the glass was fresh and clean saving it from being discarded as so much trash. There is no doubt in my mind today that the current versions of a least two whiskies are not what they once were. The hunt continues for one that is...I remain a hunter! 27.gif

BTW, I think Rogers'list has some of that good 100proof OGD stickpoke.gif

Best regards, dougdog

And, Gary, Roger, Doug, I have a 'tweener' I'll bring -- an OGD BIB which states it is distilled at OGD, as BIBs must (DSP-KY-14) -- but is from the early-Beam era (1992).

Actually, Tim,

The ND/Beam transition era is the time of OGD Bond that I have - unless some dusty ol' shelf comes through in the meantime. I have earlier 86proof that I could bring to stand in for the early '80.

It's the Old Forester Bond that some of us Eastbayers have from the early '70s era.

...Which, a "prospective" basis, would you choose to try if you could only have one, and why?...

What? The old and/or defunct stuff, whether it be Dave's Maryland rye and '40s Beam BIB, or your Port Ellen 24yo, or Ed's Weller 19.

Why? In most cases, either just because I may never get another chance, or to compare to its present-day equivalent. In some cases, like the Weller 19, because I have only a single bottle and don't want to open it. grin.gif

I choose them all! Why? Because I am who I am and that's all that I am. Seriously though, I haven't really paid a lot of attention to what everyone is bringing because I love surprises. That was part of the charm of the Gazebo my first time. Every time I returned to the table there was something else I had never tasted before that had appeared as if by magic. And at the end of the night (which is beyond hazy to me) I was told by Chuck Cowdery that I walked up to the table, inspected the contents closely and announced "when you've had everything on the table it's time to go to bed". And I did. With a little help from my friends I should add.... toast.gif

Hey gang, in addition to our new 6 - 7 year old rye, I will bring the new member of the Antique Collection. It goes by the name of William Larue Weller (W.L.Weller) and is a 12 year old, uncut/unfiltered wheated bourbon. The proof was about 124.

Ken

Hey gang, in addition to our new 6 - 7 year old rye, I will bring the new member of the Antique Collection. It goes by the name of William Larue Weller (W.L.Weller) and is a 12 year old, uncut/unfiltered wheated bourbon. The proof was about 124.

Ken

Ken, You the man!

Ken

That's almost enough to make me miss the Gala, as I figure those will be gone long before I get there...Oh well, maybe they'll have some too...plus they will be plenty of others to try, along with whatever I decide to bring (it's a very difficult decision)

It goes by the name of William Larue Weller (W.L.Weller) and is a 12 year old, uncut/unfiltered wheated bourbon. The proof was about 124.

December 26, 2005, I may find myself saying;

Makes me wish the kids were drinking age, maybe then they'd appreciate how I spent their Christmas money! lol.gif

• 4 months later...

I once wrote:

Last Saturday evening we were lining up a row of Old Grand-Dads' and when we got to the current version of the 100 proof "Bonded" it felt like time hadn't moved for a month. The taste of that current version reminded me exactly of the disappointment of the BIB Old Forester current edition, when we did a flight of that brand. Again, as before, the contents of that glass went right into the dump bucket and the glass loaded in the dishwasher. Thankfully, when the dishwasher was emptied, the glass was fresh and clean saving it from being discarded as so much trash. There is no doubt in my mind today that the current versions of a least two whiskies are not what they once were.

I have an apology to make.

I want to apologize for the disparaging remarks and innuendo about Old Forester and Old Grand-Dad made in the quote above. To those who look in on this site and keep track of these sorts of things, I am deeply sorry.

As time goes by and I continue learn how to be a person, I often reflect on the past and only on occasion, realize that my foot was well inserted in my mouth…this is the case here. (The real problem is when I never discover that I was an ass) (And, also how frequently that might well have/does happen(ed))

After a recent tasting event, I have more fully realized the drastic differences that exist in others palates’ and preferences for the taste of particular whiskies. Further I more fully realize the changes that have occurred in the industry over time. My ignorance to some of the finer points surrounding these two elements was culprit in those statements. New experience has led me to a different understanding. As such, my written reaction to the events at that time would be quite differently expressed were I to make comment today…

I suppose I’ll be dead when the “foot in mouth†syndrome no longer occurs…I could only strive to hope that the frequency of occurrence will lessen over time. Thanks for your patience with me…

Dougdog

I have a limited experience. I do like the EWSB, but also like the WT101. I would say the WT101 because it is excellent and availability. Plus, I can water it down if I want to but I can have it near barrel strenght.

It is because I enjoy both Old Forester BiB and OGD BiB that I so much want to find some old bottles of them. I don't have anything old to compare them to, but I do have the uneasy feeling that the OF was better back in the late 90s, when I resumed a whiskey interest. But it is the bourbon that I keep in the bourbon decanter.

The OGD has been a more recent interest (four years?), and I quite enjoy it when the mood is right. At least I did find the early 90's ND bottlings of OGD 86 to compare.

Wish me luck in my Florida hunting next week. Those are the two I want the most in tax strip vintage.

Jeff

I once wrote:

Last Saturday evening we were lining up a row of Old Grand-Dads' and when we got to the current version of the 100 proof "Bonded" it felt like time hadn't moved for a month. The taste of that current version reminded me exactly of the disappointment of the BIB Old Forester current edition, when we did a flight of that brand. Again, as before, the contents of that glass went right into the dump bucket and the glass loaded in the dishwasher. Thankfully, when the dishwasher was emptied, the glass was fresh and clean saving it from being discarded as so much trash. There is no doubt in my mind today that the current versions of a least two whiskies are not what they once were.

I have an apology to make.

I want to apologize for the disparaging remarks and innuendo about Old Forester and Old Grand-Dad made in the quote above. To those who look in on this site and keep track of these sorts of things, I am deeply sorry.

As time goes by and I continue learn how to be a person, I often reflect on the past and only on occasion, realize that my foot was well inserted in my mouth…this is the case here. (The real problem is when I never discover that I was an ass) (And, also how frequently that might well have/does happen(ed))

After a recent tasting event, I have more fully realized the drastic differences that exist in others palates’ and preferences for the taste of particular whiskies. Further I more fully realize the changes that have occurred in the industry over time. My ignorance to some of the finer points surrounding these two elements was culprit in those statements. New experience has led me to a different understanding. As such, my written reaction to the events at that time would be quite differently expressed were I to make comment today…

I suppose I’ll be dead when the “foot in mouth†syndrome no longer occurs…I could only strive to hope that the frequency of occurrence will lessen over time. Thanks for your patience with me…

Dougdog

Frankly Doug, you are being too hard on yourself. Many people may also agree with your first posting and it was, if nothing else, entertaining to read (the thought of throwing out glassware because it once held a Bourbon that didn't trip your trigger still has me smiling.) Anyone who refuses to try something because someone else runs it down ..... Well, 'nuf said. Everyone's tastes are a personal thing. That yours have changed is both normal and expected.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.