Pappy Van Winkle 15 versus 20 year old

DrinkyBanjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been reading some, mostly here, about the wonders of PVW 20. I have a bottle of PVW 15 and really enjoy it and I'm wondering if the 20 is worth the extra $30.

Any helpful opinions would be appreciated and I'm sure there will be plenty!

Thanks,

Tim

I've been reading some, mostly here, about the wonders of PVW 20. I have a bottle of PVW 15 and really enjoy it and I'm wondering if the 20 is worth the extra $30.

Well, it is a different whiskey and I think it's a bit better balanced and better tasting than the 15 yo., so it is "worth more" to me. Whether it's worth the $30 is something you'll have to decide.

Lately, I've been finding a lot of satisfaction in cheaper bottles, so I haven't been on the prowl for the high end goods so much. But, I suspect this may be like a pendulum, and I may want to switch over just to have a change of pace.

If it means anything, I didn't regret buying my Pappy 20, and all but one of my friends who have sampled it seem to like it a whole lot.

I would definitely try to have a taste at some point, just to know what it's like. It is fine bourbon...

Cheers,

-monte-

Tim,

I have both and drink both. They are IMHO quite close in taste, but the 20 is somewhat richer. If you like the 15, you'll love the 20. Life is too short to drink cheap bourbon (at least for me).

Joe usflag.gif

It looks like I'm going to have to pick up a bottle. Between this and the Antique Collection that's coming soon I'm going to definitely be in the hot seat with the wife.

Tim

Am I missing something here, $30? At Sam's in Chicago the 15 is 39.99 and the 20 is $119.99. Is the 20 really that much cheaper elsewhere?

Around here, Pappy 15 is $40.99 and Pappy 20 is $89.99. The word "sale" appears to be unknown to our local big box liquor store, and other stores either don't stock these two or charge higher prices.

In Colorado, the 15 y.o. is $41.00, and the 20 y.o. is $75.00, although I did get it on sale for $65.00. It was actually in the paper! So is it worth the extra $? Maybe not in Chicago, but for me absolutely. It is richer, more complex, and smoother. You know what, even in Chicago it would be worth at least one purchase. It's the darn 23 y.o. that I'm agonizing over. $205.00 here!So far I've NOT been able to justify that one, but time will tell.

The one saving grace for bourbon in St Louis is a small chain of three stores here that evidently sell Pappy 15 and 20 pretty much at their cost. bowdown.gif If they indeed intend to do that rather than being a computer glitch on their inventory software. 15 for $32 and 20 for $62 or so.

The one saving grace for bourbon in St Louis is a small chain of three stores here that evidently sell Pappy 15 and 20 pretty much at their cost.

Dane,

Do they ship?

Joe usflag.gif

Honestly, if they are intentionally selling it at cost, I'd be afraid to ask them to ship for fear that they might jack up the prices. They might be using their premium liquor sales as a cost leader to bolster wine sales which is their specialty. The stocks at each store vary as I have never seen either Pappy at the one closest to me. I have in the past bought out that store of its VWFRR 13, Boswells, Jeffersons Reserve 15, and RidgeWOOD Reserve 1792 so they know me pretty well now.

Shoot! That's an amazing price! I sell the Pappy 15 for $40 and the 20 for $80, but thinking of putting my price on the 20 back down to $75. I like the Pappy 20 and 12 much better than the new 15, but opinions are like....

I had some guy come in this week who asked me to exchange a Pappy 20. confused.gif Told him it was against the law, which it is in NY, but who would give it up? Let the floggin' begin!

I had some guy come in this week who asked me to exchange a Pappy 20. confused.gif Told him it was against the law, which it is in NY, but who would give it up? Let the floggin' begin!

Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.