What to buy in Kentucky

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you are coming to the bourbon festival, coming from out of state, and driving, you don't want to miss the stock-up opportunity. Depending on where you live, prices may be better in Kentucky, but more importantly you probably can find things there that you can't find back home.

In my case, Chicago prices are pretty comparable to Kentucky prices, so my motivation is mostly availability. Long at the top of my list for whenever I visit Kentucky is Very Old Barton. I favor the 100 proof expression, but it is available in 80, 86 and 90 as well. It is very good and very cheap.

Another must-have is Four Roses Single Barrel. It is not cheap but is simply a terrific bourbon.

I usually pick up some of the Heaven Hill brand bottlings when I'm there, as they are usually a very good value, but I noticed that none of them have age statements on them anymore. Neither does the Evan Williams black label, which used to make much hay about its seven years of aging. No more. There is a bit of a bourbon shortage going on right now. Maybe this is another result.

Many places can't get Buffalo Trace, so that might be on your list.

Although Eagle Rare Single Barrel is pretty widely available, I've only seen the 1.75 liter size in Kentucky. Really a stunning bottle and something special for your bunker display.

Thanks Chuck, very good recommendations. They were all on my list (except the 1.75 ERSB - wasn't aware of that bottling). Buffalo Trace is the one I'm most looking forward to.

Cheers,

Ken

Oh please,Ken, bottle a small run of Stagg in the 1.75! I just need 1 for the visual effect alone! smilielol.gif

Yeah, and do it as a preorder only, you know like buying a Ferrari Enzo, not available to the general public, just the people who really want it and are willing to pay in advance..in other words the StraightBourbon.com members...matter of fact how about it says StraightBourbon.com Special Edition. lol.gif

Might be asking a bit much here...but its fun to wish

It's a thing of beauty. Really stops you when you see it in a store. Thanks for the picture, Jeff.

Hi Chuck,

There is a bit of a bourbon shortage going on right now. Maybe this is another result.

Is that a result of the HH fire, or a combination of increased demand & the fire?

Bj

I'm not sure about HH, but even BT is having one(as evidenced by the canceling of both AAA and ER 101), and I was in Louisville about a week ago and didn't run across any Van Winkle (not even the 10yr) though I only visited about six stores.

The Heaven Hill fire was almost nine years ago at this point and the whiskey lost was a mix of everything from new make to mature, so it could be affecting the availability of stock nine years and older. The loss of the distillery itself didn't really affect production going forward because the industry had excess capacity and Heaven Hill resumed making whiskey immediately, albeit using other peoples stills. So, to the extent the Heaven Hill fire (or subsequent smaller fires at Turkey and Beam) factor into the current shortage, it is in a minor way. The main cause is stronger-than-expected demand in all markets, domestic and international. It is being felt most in the bulk market where people seeking to buy bulk whiskey of a certain age simply cannot find any available at any price. Today every distillery is operating at capacity and most are making the necessary capital improvements to expand capacity. In most cases, this means adding fermenter capacity. Most of the distilleries have excess distilling capacity but are limited by the number of fermenters they can set. There is no crisis, but there is a tightening in the availability of whiskey of certain ages, which is something the industry hasn't experienced for at least 40 years.

Ken,

If you go through Frankfort and stop by the Buffalo Trace giftshop you will be able buy both the ERSB 1.75 and the buffalo trace you are looking for.

Ken,

If you go through Frankfort and stop by the Buffalo Trace giftshop you will be able buy both the ERSB 1.75 and the buffalo trace you are looking for.

It's on our agenda. We get into Frankfort around 2pm Tuesday yum.gif Then we're leaving for Bardstown (via Mammoth Cave) around 11 am. We have a tour at Mammoth at 2pm but they are Central time aren't they??? That's 4 hours. Is that enough time to get there??

Thanks!!

Ken

I was just in Lexington Saturday and the Liquor Barn on Richmond Ave. has the ERSB 1.75 on sale for $44.95. BT was $17.95, I think.

I didn't buy it because earlier in my trip I had bought a 750 ml bottle in central Wisconsin for $18.79. Prices there are typically the best I've seen, and in the big grocery stores, selection is pretty good, too. I will be posting soon on two unusual bottom shelf ryes that I picked up there.

Jeff (longtime lurker and bourbon/rye drinker and homebrewer)

I saw the ERSB 1.75 at Sam's here in Chicago over the weekend. It asked me to say hello to everyone.

Frankfort is in the eastern time zone. I believe the last tour begins at 2pm. Might be 3 during the week. It's on their website.

Thanks Tim, any idea how long to allow driving from Frankfort??

Via the Bluegrass Parkway past Bardstown to Elizabethtown, then south on I-65 (to either Exit 58 or 53), figure around 110-120 miles -- so, two hours, then 75 minutes back to Bardstown.

Or, since you're so close, you could slip down to Chuck Evans Discount Liquor in Bowling Green (Exit 28) or Chuck's (Exit 22) -- really good bourbon selection, though Dawn and Randy bought them out of Weller 19lol.gif.

OH....definately stop at Chucks! They still have a great bourbon selection even without the Wellers on the shelf. If you go to the one off exit 22, make sure you look at his personal collection....it's in a ceiling type display by the exit....it's impressive!

Dawn

Thanks Tim, any idea how long to allow driving from Frankfort??

Via the Bluegrass Parkway past Bardstown to Elizabethtown, then south on I-65 (to either Exit 58 or 53), figure around 110-120 miles -- so, two hours, then 75 minutes back to Bardstown.

Or, since you're so close, you could slip down to Chuck Evans Discount Liquor in Bowling Green (Exit 28) or Chuck's (Exit 22) -- really good bourbon selection, though Dawn and Randy bought them out of Weller 19lol.gif.

Thanks guys, we'll definately stop at Chucks on the way back. This is gonna be a lot of fun!!!

See you all in a few weeks.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.