Plain Wrap Bourbon

Sweetmeats
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems like every supermarket has their own plain wrap spirit. Who makes these for them? Does one of the big boys send them inferior bourbon and they bottle it? Also, I've seen this brand of bourbon called "Origine" ( I may have spelled it wrong ) at Albertsons only. The bottle and the price makes it seem like a modern bourbon. They also have "Origine" brandy but still only at Albertsons. And now, they have big banners hanging in the liquor section. It seems like this may be their high end attempt at plain wrap. Anyone know who makes this stuff?

Just my opinion. It seems to be a general consensus of the people I know that plain wrap spirits are inferior. Out of 4606 posts to the Tasting Forum, not one person recommends or even mentions that they have tried Albertson's Plain Wrap Bourbon. I know what they say about assuming, but that kinda tells me something. wink.gif

My advice? Expand the scope of your search. It's not particularly taxing on the server to search the entire database.

Origine

Does one of the big boys send them inferior bourbon and they bottle it?

How do you know it is inferior?

It was a question, not a statement. Was there implication or bias? Perhaps, but it was, in the end, a question. The answer may well be "No, it's the best Bourbon available."

Or maybe not.....

Ken

I googled it and nothing in the first few pages. I should have know you guys had it somewhere on here. Does anyone know who makes it? Or the regular Albertson's, Ralphs, insert supermarket here bourbons and what they are comparable to?

in general, Albertsons and other stores private label items because they make more profit usually than on a name brand item.

It may or may not be inferior but I would bet, if it had a comparable branded product, the Albertsons version would be cheaper.

so in general, you're probably getting a bourbon at a cheaper price than the branded comparables in that range.

Before Lucky market was assimilated by Albertsons, I would certainly say that was true of Lucky's "house bourbon." Hell of a deal for the price, particularly in the 1.75L on sale.

For the price of Origine however, one could have EWSB, or for that matter, 2 bottles of VOB 100.

Well, feeling frivelous and out of pure curiousity, I picked up one of these the other day, the 8yr 80proof expression, I haven't opened it yet, and assuming room in the luggage, it might just make it to the Gazebo, then we'll all know if it is any good

They still sell the Albertson's plain bourbon at Jewel/Osco stores in Chicago. (It says Osco/Sav-On on some of the bottles, but the fine print on the back says Albertson's.) Most places only have it in 1.75, but I did see a 750ml of it the other day.

If I ever get that Bottom-shelf Bourbon Blind Tasting off the ground I will definitely include some. That may shed light on whether it's truly inferior to name brands.

The two main grocery chains here in St Louis are Dierbergs and Schnucks. Dierbergs' proprietary label is bottled by HH and Schnucks by David Sherman I think (which is probably also HH whiskey). The third chain, Shop N Save, doesn't have a proprietary bourbon but they do have occasional sales on normally decent priced standard bourbons.

• 1 month later...

A post-script to this thread: I picked up a bottle of the Albertson's/Osco store brand bourbon the other day. I haven't opened it; my current plan is to come to the Sampler in the spring, and I will bring it along.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.