Which W.L. Weller to choose

JimR
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading for a while and finally decided to join in.

Now for the good stuff!

I enjoy a wheated bourbon from time to time for a change and was looking to try something other than MM for my next purchase. I have some ORVW 15 and I've found some W.L. Weller locally and I'm interested in some opinions from those who might have sampled the Wellers.

Weller Antique (7 summers old?)- mid to upper $20s.

Weller Centennial - on sale $29

Weller SR - on sale $16

I know it is somewhat subjective, but given the choices and price, what is the best buy?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

I have never seen any of the Weller products here in Ohio but to interject, don't forget there is a soon to be released WL Weller 12 yo

Antique Collection

I'm hoping that is on the shelfs during the festival next month.

Cheers,

Ken

Hello and welcome,

In addition to Makers, Van Winkle and Weller; Old Fitzgerald and Kentucky Tavern are also wheated bourbons (I think that completes the list).

Although I haven't had any of the standard bottlings of Weller recently, I would recommend the Weller 12yr 90proof as well as one of my regular pours, Old Fitzgerald 1849 8yr.

Also though they may be harder to find, I really enjoy both the Heritage Collection wheaters, W L Weller Centennial 10yr and Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12yr.

I enjoy the Centennial. But, at $30.00, there's a lot available that you may enjoy. Even at $20., there are some good values. But if you just want to go for a Weller, then Centinnial I think it should be. Remember everyone's taste is different.

The Centennial is quite nice, however, I really enjoy the Weller 12 year old. You will find that it is priced comparably to MM.

Ken

Either Antique or Sr. They are both very good bourbons and both great values to boot.

The Centennial is very nice, but if you have the opportunity

to get ORVW 15 yo, buy it allllll. If you do not like it, I'll buy it from you... toast.gif

Thank you all for the welcome!

I do have ORVW 15 available right now, although it has a sticker that reads "specially selected by .........". I don't know how that differs from regular ORVW. They also have 10 yo and a few others.

I was under the impression that the Antique line were older than 7 years (its 107 proof BTW).

I do have a few BT bottlings such as Stagg, ERSB, ETL and BT and enjoy them very much along with my standard WTs and EC 12 (I haven't actually cracked open the Stagg yet). I have not seen Weller 12 around locally.

I'm in the market for a good wheater, besides the before mentioned MM and ORVW..........so keep the good advice comming.

Thanks,

Jim

...I was under the impression that the Antique line were older than 7 years (its 107 proof BTW)...

The 'Old Weller Antique 107' is not part of the 'Antique Collection' -- which consists of George T. Stagg, Eagle Rare 17yo and Sazerac rye (18 years old), and soon the new William Larue Weller barrel-proof wheater. The Antique 107 is basically the W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7yo/90 at higher proof.

Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...

It's currently my daily pour - to be supplemented by OGD 114 soon.

I like the Antique the best of the Weller's, with Centennial next.

toast.gif

Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...Antique...

Can I take it from this that you like the Old Weller Antique 107? lol.gif

Can I take it from this that you like the Old Weller Antique 107? lol.gif

yum.gificon_pidu.gifdrink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.