Five Days of Boredom!

Sweetmeats
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oh, sorry, not for you people who are drinking friggin bourbon in Kentucky right now! I meant me! I hope you people are having a good time! smil41df29a15fb35.gif

Yep, I hear ya frown.gif

Here's hoping we get some pictures and/or reports posted throughout the event... popcorn.gif

As for me... I'll be raising a glass or two of my best this weekend in honour of the Festival - probably a 2004 Stagg, Van Winkle 15yo and an Elijah Craig 18yo in no particular order toast.gifdrinking.gifgrin.gif

But then, with luck, Jen & I will make the 30 odd hour journey to the festival next year grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ok fellas, no pictures from me tonight but to let you know what happened in Bardstown:

After a dinner where doubleblank (with friend Gregg), mobourbon, dougdog (and son Ben), and yours truly attended at the Talbot Tavern, we ran into Koji and his wife Yuki and had a drink in the bar before retiring to the gazebo. There we were joined by many others for a few drinks that were highlighted by Drew Kulsveen bringing a bottle of Old Bardstown that his greandfather had bottled in the 60s. as well as Van Blankle, the new OFBB, and sundry Dougdog hunting tropies. It was a small gathering for sure but it was enjoyable. More with pictures tomorrow.

No party here...I'm working, trying to get this "Boone Shindig II, on the road grin.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone today...The Heaven Hill tour starts at 5 p.m. grin.gif You will get to see all operations at Heaven Hill. We'll start in the dump room...tour the bottling house and then off to the Bourbon Heritage Center for a private tasting of several of our "Top of the line" products grin.gif...

There will be Bourbon, Rye, and...and...The new "Bernheim Original" Wheat Whiskey grin.gif for our special "private tour and tasting" grin.gif

Bettye Jo

Thanks for the update Dane....

I'm hanging on everyones posts wishing I was there....

Hopefully you'll all have a mighty fine time (I can't imagine that you wont wink.gif)

As promised a few pics from Bardstown. The first is a group of Bourbonians at Buffalo Trace getting ready to watch a film presentation:

post-314-14489812012751_thumb.jpg

Looking over the 'audience', I think most could do a better job of explaining bourbon history and production than that BT film (which I have seen twice).

I raise my glass of Hirsch 16...to ya'll. I envy you all. Hope you're having a great time and best wishes!!!!!!!no better place to be!!!! icon_pidu.gif

Had there been either sufficient demand and any unexpected dearth of great/interesting/rare/voluminous whiskeys on the Gazebo table -- and, had I not been prompted to prematurely leave Bardstown a day early -- I had planned to present a lineup of ryes including, from left: an Old Overholt 100 proof from the early-'60; a Four Roses 'rye' -- actually, according to the label, a blend of 100% straight whiskeys, including more than 51% straight ryes -- "5 Years or More Old", blended by Frankfort Distilleries Inc. of Baltimore, MD, 90 proof, c. 1960, I think; ORVW 12yo Old Time Rye; Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo; Classic Cask 15yo; Black Maple Hill 18yo; Sazerac 18yo; Classic Cask 22yo; and/or the (not pictured) Rittenhouse 10yo BIB or standard Rittenhouse BIB.

Since it didn't come off this trip, they likely will remained sealed (except for the Four Roses, which I may decant because of the condition of the stopper and label) till the next StraightBourbonian junket. Cheers!:

post-367-14489812013438_thumb.jpg

While you were bored.....we were:

1) Sharing drinks with new and old friends at the Gazebo

2) Enjoying a "VIP" tour of Buffalo Trace with sampling yum.gif

3) Missing the last tour at Wild Turkey

4) Enjoying the "Boot's N Bourbon" event - food, country music, dancing, prizes, riding the bull - that sort of thing!

5) Sharing more drinks with friends at the Gazebo

6) Learning more about Bourbon at the "Lets Talk Bourbon" event at Four Roses....followed by a tour and sampling yum.gif

7) Trying once again to get a tour of Wild Turkey, only to find out we'd have to wait over an hour with really nothing to do......we passed!

8) The Boone Shindig II!!!!

9) More Gazebo Fun!!!!

11) Enjoyed dinner at the Bourbons Bistro

Then.....sadly......returned to reality and arrived home frown.gif

We had a great time......see you all next year!

Dawn

Tim,

That is a one fine array of rye. Just looking at it makes my mouth water. yum.gif

Your post caused me to realize that a gazebo-goer needs to bring lots of glassware. Using only one glass, it would be impossible, at least for us amateurs, to taste them all and compare each sample to each sample that preceded it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I want to thank the SB.com members who attended the KBF. I had a fantastic time hanging out with y'all. You are a classy group of people. Down-to-earth and real! From Wed. night to Sat. afternoon was one great happening after another. The folks who couldn't attend missed one helluva happening!

Where was the Gazebo?? This was our first Festival and am really sorry I didn't know about all of this sooner!!!!

Tony

Behind the Best Western General Nelson motel, about two blocks west of the Festival main grounds.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.