Bardstown Sampler

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'd like some information on the Bardstown Sampler in April:

1. How long does it last?

2. What events take place there?

3. Any other info?

Thanks for your help.

Joe usflag.gif

Joe, Sampler occurs at the Civil War Museum. For a fixed price (25 dollars or so) one can wander through and sample at numerous distillery bars, and there is a lot of food served also from local suppliers or homes. The booths are spread through the building. It takes place Saturday night. The night before those that can get in do a Gazebo, and there is one after Sampler, too. A very nice event, a mini version (not so mini actually) of the Tasting and Gala at a fraction the price.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the information. Can the tickets be purchased prior to the sampler or does one obtain them at the "gate"?

Thanks,

Joe usflag.gif

• 1 month later...

I've never made it down to one, but since I had to miss the Festival this year, I'm planning on making it down this spring. I've already got my room reserved at the General Nelson and hope to line up some tours for us. It'll be so good to catch up for y'all in person!

LeNell,

This will be my first sampler also. Can't wait to meet you and all the SB'ers.

Joe usflag.gif

• 3 months later...

Did I read somewhere that the sampler was to be extended to include Friday night as well? Or is definately only Sat? I would like to spend a night in Louisville so any info would be a big help in planning the trip. I already ordered tickets.

Never mind, I just found the thread with answer I was looking for. look forward to see some of you fine folks in April.

I know that proper etiquette at the gazebo is somewhere along the lines of "bring a bottle, and just be yourself." The thing is although I have quite a selection, I doubt if I have anything that you serious collectors don't already have. What sort of thing should I bring? I don't want to seem like I just swung by the Liquor Barn on the way.

Although I can't make the Sampler, there seem to be so many people bringing rare and old bottles that sometimes it is nice to have a modern version to try side-by-side for comparison purposes. Also sometimes there is a bottling that may only show up in your area that many people have never had. Basically the rule is "bring something you like".

While side-by-sides are wonderful, and rare bourbons a treat, please remember that the main attraction at the Gazebo are the people you'll meet and the comraderie. There's no pretention there, just good people having a great time. So as Timothy says, bring something YOU like. We'll enjoy anything you bring as long as you're there to share it.:toast:

Dane, I think last year you mentioned you'd try.....is there any chance you'll get the webcam running this year?

Or am I totally off the wall here and you were just going to take pictures?

I think the problem we ran into when Jim and I were discussing it was the mess that the GN's network was in made the venture iffy at best. He put in a lot of time the year before helping to get their network performance to improve and someone else came around afterward and totally changed everything. What we may be able to do, weather permitting and their wireless range as well, is set up a laptop with an ongoing chat where everyone can sign in and give their impressions from time to time. I remember last year watching Wade walk around the parking lot with his laptop looking for a good signal. I gave up and was lucky enough to have a room that was hard wired for broadband. Unfortunately it was on the opposite side of the property from the Gazebo...

One thing that can help quite a lot, is to have a Wi-Fi card that has an external antenna connector. These aren't very common; my favorite is the Proxim Orinoco Gold b/g card. You can then hook up a directional antenna - there are commercial models, but I have a couple of do-it-yourself versions made from tin cans. If you can't find the 40 oz. beef stew can in the article, a 40 oz. Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee ravioli can is the same size. One of mine uses the ravioli can, the other uses a Glenfarclas whisky tin. The whisky version is much fussier about direction, but provides slightly better range; either one works quite well, though. Without tweaking any timing settings, I was able to get a strong connection 1000 ft. from home, and could probably go farther with some fiddling and a clear line of sight.

If you go this route, keep in mind that the Orinoco antenna connector is delicate - it can only stand a limited number of plug/unplug cycles, so you should keep the pigtail attached at all times, and use the card only for cantenna purposes.

Another alternative is to use a USB Wi-Fi adapter, and mount it inside a Chinese cooking skimmer so that the tiny antenna in the USB adapter is right at the dish's focal point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.