Glen Breton

dougdog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This post features a bottle of Wild Turkey 12yo split label.

Also pictured is a Canadian Single Malt from the Glenora Distillery called Glen Breton, 43%, 750ml and comes in a dandy box!...Just dandy!...Oh yea, the label says “Rareâ€â€¦and… “Hand Craftedâ€â€¦

The box is nice…

Best dougdog

Stay tuned …more to come!

Is Glen Breton copper pot stilled?...something in the back of my mind…

Edit: A photograph of a bottle of bourbon does not qualify a thread as "bourbon oriented."

post-929-14489812048138_thumb.jpg

Ah, one of my favs WT 12.

Yes the Glen Breton is copper pot stilled. Almost the entire workings of the distillery were crafted in Scotland. I really want to know how that is, as I've never managed to find any.

It is good but not highly distinctive since it fits squarely in a Scots Highland tradition. It is like a lightish Highland whisky, not sherry-oriented, but rather honey-scented with pleasing standard distilled barkey malt flavours. Somewhat like, say, Strathisla, or Balvenie. Or maybe the Perthshire malts are a better analogy. Nice whisky but very much a specialty and not within the Canadian tradition of rye/corn distillation. It can be compared to the St. George or McCarthy distillations, it is working in that type of segment.

Gary

That's quite interesting, that is a flavor profile I quite like, as far as SMSW is concerned, being a fan of the Lowlands and several of the Perthshire whiskies, though none of these will ever replace my fav SMSW, Highland Park.

Now, my questions are:

Is it still being made today in some form or another?

Which version did I post in the picture? (Gary, you had mentioned 3 versions in an earlier PM)

What is/was the retail price range?

There is one more available.

Best regards, dougodg

Seems to still be made (at least their website is still active)

I count 4-5 labels on the site,

The one you have, 43%;

Japan, with a clear label same bottle, can't read proof;

A blue label version, can't decide if there are two or not, see one in a box and one in a woodeon crate, the one in the box is 40%, can't read the proof on the crated one;

A Canada only version, round botle, red wax seal, can't read proof here either.

Interestingly, I didn't notice that that seems to be the same bottle as Elmer T. Lee until I saw the clear label, Japan-only edition.

It is still being made, for sure. That company, in Nova Scotia in Cape Breton, also bottles other spirits including some Canadian whisky for Hirsch (that Hirsch gets around smile.gif).

The one you posted Doug is either no. 2 or 3. No. 1 was 40% abv, nos. 2&3, 43%. Technically there may not be a no. 3 but I heard that the current one is older than the 43% introduced a few years ago to replace the 40%. I'll try to get more information although there is a Glenora website I know, maybe the information is there. It's a nice whiskey with a heather/honey top note. They don't used peated malt. The price in Ontario is about $85 (CDN). For that price many people may prefer to buy Macallan 12 year old or Distiller's Edition of Talisker but again, it is a specialty and I can understand they have to ask good money for it.

Gary

Tim, I've had both the original 40% version and the 43% upon issuance a few years ago. Both met the taste profile I described. I haven't had it in about 3 or 4 years and I understand the current 43% is older (makes sense) than when first issued, which may make for a better palate. I'll seek it out and deliver a taste report.

Gary

Edit: A photograph of a bottle of bourbon does not qualify a thread as "bourbon oriented."

Well then:

How many bottles does it take?

Kind warm loving regards, dougdog

smilielol.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.