Bernheim Straight Wheat Whiskey opinions?

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I opened a bottle of this and found it very drinkable. Soft and just sweet enough. I echo the sentiment of wanting to try this again if/when stocks of more advanced age are bottled. It's not available to me locally in Seattle so I doubt it will be a regular purchase, but it's good enough that I could happily pour it fairly often.

Well, now that everyone is stuck on price, I truly believe it's worth the $40.00.Maybe that's my scotch background coming through, where for a scotch of comparable value and quality would easily set you back $65-75.00. I like it a lot;

when I mentioned the price, it was because I can see myself buying it a lot, so $10.00 would be mighty fine. Oh, yeah. But for my wheatie fix, Weller Antique does an admirable job, at $25.00 (1 ltr). But I do enjoy the Bernheim.

I'd say that the Bernheim Straight Wheat is just worth it - but if the cost was any higher, I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't mind seeing it for a few bucks less, though. smile.gif

Then again, given the jumps in Scotch prices over the last year banghead.gif (I haven't bought Lagavulin in over a year because of that), it isn't all that bad a price for a relatively limited-production item.

I'll agree on the Weller Antique, too - it's a great bang-for-the-buck pour when I want a wheater.

• 1 month later...

Bernheim is $39.99 every day here in Doo Dah. I like it. It is truely unique. I like to set it side by side with a rye, like Hirsch or Sazerac, just for contrast. But I've got to agree on the price. It's mighty difficult to pick this $40 bottle when it sits next to an Eagle Rare 17 or a Stagg for only a few dollars more, or even an Evan Williams Single Barrel for quite a few dollars less...

Neh, I like it. I think I'll have to keep some on the shelf.

Can't wait 'til the older stuff is released though. This could definately use another 5 years in the oak.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.