Where to buy in North-Eastern Massachusetts?

flynnr2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Going to be making a brief trip to MA, so ...

Any suggestions on the best place to buy bourbon in North-Eastern Massachusetts (the Gloucester-Boston-Worcester triangle if you will)?

Thanks in advance,

rick

Depends on whether you're looking for selection or price -- but this area specializes in neither!

Best prices IMHO are just over the border in New Hampshire state liquor stores; best selection that I've seen locally is at Marty's or Blanchard's (Allston and/or Watertown near Boston.) Supreme Liquors on Mass Ave. in Cambridge still had spring Stagg last month.

My attempts at "dusty bottle" hunting around NE have been mostly for naught, but the oldest stuff I've found was down the Cape -- probably a little far for your visit. I picked up a bottle of Jacob's Well (the "lost" member of the Jim Beam Small Batch Collection) this summer.

Good luck!

...Jacob's Well (the "lost" member of the Jim Beam Small Batch Collection) this summer...

Jacob's Well was never a part of the Small Batch Collection -- just a 'micro-distilled' bourbon with which Beam was trying to bottle the lightning of the micro-brewery craze. Since it wound up being a one-off, I guess it didn't work.

For a tiny store with a good selection of the unusual stuff and fair but not exceptional prices, try Federal Wine + Spirits, 29 State St. Boston. They have exceptional Scotch there too and helpful staff.

I'll second the Marty's recommendation; their selection isn't always extensive, but they do carry the good stuff. Trouble is, they sell through it too, so at any moment, they may or may not have what you want.

Luke's Liquors in Rockland has a fairly good Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace related bourbon supply. They were the first store in MA to get spring 05 Stagg, AFAIK. They're south of the city, but it's not that far if you avoid rush hour.

Aside from that, there are sometimes interesting things here and there, but largely, there is little good bourbon to be had in MA. Not much call for it, I suppose...

New Hampshire usually has good prices, but a limited selection.

As for dusty bottles, there's very little to be found. I have found a few gems here and there, but on a percentage basis, it's pretty thin pickin's. Real estate is too valuable around here, and I think there's a tax on inventory in this state, so goods just don't sit around for decades unnoticed.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

-monte-

There's also a store called Julio's Liquors, 140 Turnpike Road in Westborough, MA. They just bought a 1/2 barrel of 12-year VW & some BT.

Julian

Marty's in Allston currently has about 20 6-bottle cases of Sam Houston for $19.99 (per bottle, not per case!)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information. I hit Brookline Liquor Mart, Marty's, Blanchards, & a couple of others. Struck out completely, but made some good contacts and at least now I know where to frequent when I'm in Boston.

Thanks again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.