Thoughts on Bookers

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't see a whole lot of discussion here on Booker's. I am a little too green to throw out in-depth thoughts on it, so I was wondering what ya'll thought of it at its taste and current price point? Here is my .02 cents..

i get a lot of oak and vanilla. Soft nose(in regards to complexity) mostly vanilla, which hides the intensity which will come next.

Strong alcohol/oak taste which dies off unexpectedly. waiting for depth that doesn't emerge.

Finish is balanced and long, which is Booker's strongpoint in my opinion. Finish is quite enjoyable.

How does it stack up to competitors in its pricepoint? hmmmm.........

I have had one drink of Booker's at a restaurant before dinner. I distinctly remember enjoying it and thinking that it was a lot like a cross between Knob Creek and Baker's, i.e., it had taste elements of each.

At the price, I am not really interested. It goes for about $55, here, which is in the realm of Rock Hill Farms, Blantons, and Kentucky Spirit, all of which I enjoy much more.

So, in summary, I do like it, but I think its too expensive for what it is.

Tim

I enjoy bookers a lot, and agree it is similar to Bakers. Definately not an everyday pour though...

I certainly enjoy it yum.gif

It is a really good drop to pull out at the end of the night to finish on a big bold taste.

As far as I know, it's the strongest bourbon available in our market. The only thing I've tasted that comes close to it is Pappy 15yo and 2004 Stagg (neither of which are available in Australia)

I also enjoy Booker's very much. I agree with your note's on the nose although I get some maple as well. As to the taste, I think it follows the nose very well. Very bold, complex, lots of flavors keep emerging as the pour developes. You are right on with the finish. For me, it's just perfect.

As to the price ($51), the only thing at that price here is Jefferson's Reserve, which I also like but I find Booker's to be more unique for that price. I don't have anything I'd really compare to Booker's (caveat, I've only tried Baker's and Knob one pour each...). My favorite products tend to be Wild Turkey - Tribute, RR and KS are probably my top three but Booker's is a regular change of pace.

Ken

If you search, you'll see plenty of discussion on it in the past. It's been a mainstay of the "quality" bourbon market since it came out. Jim Beam keeps it well placed in the market, and I've actually never paid for it; a bottle usually ends up someplace where I can sample it. To me, the main feature is the proof; I like Baker's better and would buy Knob Creek (high $20's) before Booker's (high $40's) on price. But since it is pretty commonm, and there's a lot of good stuff from other distillers I'm still hoping to find and sample, I don't waste time and money on Booker's. Not that the money is wasted, but there are only so many in that price range I can buy.

Bob

I've enjoyed it on a few occasions ( Twice at a Holiday Inn and once at Lucille's BBQ ) and everytime I loved it. I have yet to spend more then 30 dollars for a single bottle of bourbon but when I do it will be one of the first that I pick up. After Stagg of course! wink.gif

I find Booker's to more than fulfill its role as the flagship product of the Beam lineup. If you can find it on sale for under $40(which occasionally happens), a bottle lasts quite a while when for special occasions only. yum.gif

schlep

I like Booker's very much. As a matter of fact, it's the first bourbon I drank. I fell in love with bourbon, eventually making me try other bourbons. However, there are several other bourbons I like better than Booker's. Booker's is very similar to Baker's, which is a lot cheaper. At $44.99 in PA, Booker's is a little too pricy to be an everyday pour for me.

Baker's is more expensive, than Booker's here in Sapporo, Japan. About ten bucks more, that and the lower proof that has made me reluctant to try it. Booker's is well worth the forty some dollars it costs, IMHO. Remember, too, at the higher proof there is 'more' whiskey in the bottle. The bottles I had, now sadly empty, were 63.35 % abv. That is equivalent to l.191 liters of 80 proof whiskey. Of course, Baker's is 107 proof. That would make 750 ml Booker's the equivalent of 890 ml of Baker's. I can always add water to Booker's but I have yet to figure out a way to take out unwanted water...

Ed

seems like the consensus is that it is a good product that is overprice in relation to it's competitors.

This is what my thoughts were as well. Its a great drinking whiskey but at $50, a bit overpriced.

I mean a Pappy 15 is low $40's. and there are even cheaper bourbon that would give it a run for its money (so to speak).

I guess the wide marketing and product placement through distribtors really helps sellthrough.

If this bourbon was priced at around $35-40, i think it would probably get more attention.

ha! i had the exact same thought.

i just popped a Bookers and first sip I thought "wow, this taste like a higher proof Knob Creek"

I wonder if the same recipe is used? could Bookers just be a non diluted knob creek????? they taste so similiar.

...I wonder if the same recipe is used? could Bookers just be a non diluted knob creek?..

Jim Beam (prior to its Maker's Mark acquisition) has two bourbon mashbills. One is Old Grand-Dad and Basil Hayden's high-rye, and the other is everything else. They get all these bottlings by selecting different ages, warehouse locations, and taste profiles.

ahhhh. now things are clicking. Amazing that all the things that happen after barreling account for so much of the taste of bourbon. I do remember reading a post that broke it down into percentages and I was quite surprised. thanks.

Jim Beam (prior to its Maker's Mark acquisition) has two bourbon mashbills. One is Old Grand-Dad and Basil Hayden's high-rye, and the other is everything else. They get all these bottlings by selecting different ages, warehouse locations, and taste profiles.

I find that I'm more likely to drink Booker's at a bar, as the price by the drink is usually much more likely to be the same as several other brands (usually of equal or lower quality). In many bars a drink of Booker's may be .50 to 1.50 more a drink than Knob as oppossed to the twice or more that it is when buying the whole bottle. This works out in bars, because they tend to make the most money off the lowest priced stuff (bar bourbon $4/shot vs. $8/bottle with 17 1.5oz shots/bottle) whereas I've actually seen places selling Pappy 20 at darn close to cost.

I know that drinking in a bar is more expensive than drinking at home, but knowing where a well stocked bar is is like expanding your collection and not having to store it or keep the glasses clean. I still don't keep things I can get in most bars at home (WT 101, Makers, Bookers, Knob...) even though my stock is fairly diverse otherwise.

I wonder how many bottles of Bookers are given to bars for free by Beam. The Holiday Inn that I tried Bookers at juts up against Disneyland. I get to talking to the bartender and she tells me that the Beam rep gave it to them free a year or so ago. Now, a bbq place I went to called Lucille's also had it displayed prominently right next to Bakers, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, and Beam White and Black. No other bourbons though besides Makers Mark and the non-bourbon Jack Daniels. They were clearly displaying Beam products. I wonder if these are supplied free as well, or at least at a sizeable discount to get people to buy them after they try them.

If this bourbon was priced at around $35-40, i think it would probably get more attention.

I agree.

Tim

I agree.

Tim

And if it were priced at $30-35 it would get a lot of attention.

Joe usflag.gif

IMHO, Bookers is a great bourbon. If not on my top 5, it is for sure on my top 10. I love this bourbon paired with spicy foods, like schezwan.

For $45 to $50, I think it is priced about right for being Barrel Proof.

I believe it would be illegal for Beam to give away bottles of whiskey. On the other hand, a distibutor might slip a bottle to a bar in the hopes that it will sell and they order more (they usually put it on the bar's bill and apply discounts till it's covered)

I wouldn't be surprised if there were legal ways to 'pay off' distributors or retailers.

It happens in so many other industries that one would have to think that some form of it exists in the alcohol industry. I have no experience in alcohol sales so this is just my theory.

I believe it would be illegal for Beam to give away bottles of whiskey. On the other hand, a distibutor might slip a bottle to a bar in the hopes that it will sell and they order more (they usually put it on the bar's bill and apply discounts till it's covered)

During our backside tour in 2004, I recall mention of modified head and base temps in the still to get different proofs and flavor characteristics from the same mashbill.

Between the fermenter and the barrel is a key step, distillation that has a major influence on the final product.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.