BOTM, 10/05: Buffalo Trace

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Lexst, I haven't had BT as of yet so I can't be a ton of help, but you've mentioned some pretty different tasting bourbons in your list. Is that your "what I've liked" list or "what I've tried" list?

Any thoughts on why the BT didn't hit my taste based on the other's that I have liked to this point?

//lerxst

CHICO: (Raising his arm) Doc, it hurts when I do this.

GROUCHO: Then stop doing that.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Try something else. Then, in a year or so, if you feel like it, come back to BT and try it again. If you still don't like it, then you just don't like it. Everybody doesn't like something. That's why there are so many different products that all taste different.

Lexst, I haven't had BT as of yet so I can't be a ton of help, but you've mentioned some pretty different tasting bourbons in your list. Is that your "what I've liked" list or "what I've tried" list?

What I like...

What I like...

Try the weller 12 yr in the little pot bellied bottle, also a B Trace product,

doesnt strike me as musty, it is a wheated bourbon I believe.

Russellc

Had the Blanton's at my parents' house yesterday... very good... but also $42/bottle... As I said earlier, ER was pretty good... but I'll continue to give BT a try since I have a whole bottle...

Well, hopefully it turns around for you, but if you like the ER10yr then I wouldn't be too disappointed. At least around here the ER is about $6-7 cheaper than Buffal Trace.

I do have to say, especially when you consider the price, BT really is a great bourbon.

Earlier this week I cracked open a new bottle of Buffalo Trace and made an Old Fashioned. Yesterday I had the second pour from that bottle, neat in a snifter alongside a nice fat rib eye and some fresh asparagus from my garden. MMMM good. BT is one of my favorite summertime drams for just this purpose. Not that it ain't good by itself!

CHICO: (Raising his arm) Doc, it hurts when I do this.

GROUCHO: Then stop doing that.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Try something else. Then, in a year or so, if you feel like it, come back to BT and try it again. If you still don't like it, then you just don't like it. Everybody doesn't like something. That's why there are so many different products that all taste different.

Good advice. Had a similar experience with Ancient Age 10yr. At first, I did not like it at all. A few months later, I give it another try and... I really like it alot. Don't know how that happened but...

• 4 weeks later...
Good advice. Had a similar experience with Ancient Age 10yr. At first, I did not like it at all. A few months later, I give it another try and... I really like it alot. Don't know how that happened but...

I have a bottle of BT in the 1.75L size, my first in fact. I had to drive to Tennessee to find it and it was the only bottle the store had. I remember hoping it was worth the drive and at $40 for a 1.75, I wasn't disappointed. I like a whiskey that I can taste. BT has all the right taste at the right price. The AA has been a family choice since the distillery was built. My grandfather (now 93) gave it up when Seagrams dropped the ABV to 40 and the age to 3. We just now gave it another try and bought the 45% bottling and loved it. Unfortunately, I've never seen another bottle of it in that proof. An AA that was 10 years old and 45% ABV would be a dream come true. At any rate, BT distillery knows how to make good whiskey.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!