Is this a bottle of the infamous VVOF?

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No, that is a bottle of Very EXTRA Old Fitzgerald that I believe to be even more rare. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Stitzel-Weller released a variety of extra-aged Old Fitzgerald expressions over the years. This is one of them. It is 10-year-old Stitzel-Weller whiskey from the Golden Age, so it is bound to be very, very good and while it, arguably, is more rare than the 12-year-old VVOF, it doesn't have the same cachet. The fact that it is still in the original box is pretty cool. When I looked, the bid was $325. Is it worth that, or more? Very subjective question. The world of bourbon collecting is still too small to allow anyone to say objectively how much anything is "worth."

I believe it was at the Festival auction 2 years ago that Julian bid on and won a bottle of this. I believe it went for a lot more than $325, but I'll let Julian comment on that if he wishes.

I spent a lot more on this same bottle without the box & glasses. But that was mostly for sentimental reasons because the bottle was Joe C's and his wife Lori gave the bottle to the Getz Museum for auction in Joe's honor. I tried to beat Joe out of that bottle for years, but he wouldn't let me have it. I also did not have this 10-year bottle in my collection so I relly wanted one.

Julian

My guess is that it will go for around $650 to $750. But not to me......I've got enough older whiskey here.

Randy

Randy, your name did come to mind when I posted that lol.gif You heard it here first folks, Randy's out, Next! lol.gif

I believe your guess of the price is right on as well, the only way it would go cheaper is if everyone is asleep at the wheel when it ends, but then that's what auction sniper is for. toast.gif

I have this ensemble, with lined box and shot glass -- and, alas, an empty bottle. In mine, for which I paid around $10, the velour lining and box are green instead of red. It's a '56/'66 bottle, with a custom label for "Mrs. E.B. Wilber".

One of the few times I've sought an 'empty', but I figured it was as close as I would likely get to owning one. lol.gif

If we are gonna open it and drink some real history of Kentucky Bourbon

I'm in for a $100 or $200 if you buy it Doug. laugh.gif

I would love to taste this one for studying good bourbon

Koji toast.gif

I agree Koji ...... to taste something great/out of production would be worth a nice sum. But in my experience, there's a fair chance that the whiskey in this old bottle might disappoint us. It could have been kept in a hot attic for a while.....laid on its side and had significant amounts of cork "flake" into the bottle...etc. I personally have tasted numerous old whiskeys that looked good in the bottle, but had developed a taste I can only describe as "musty cork".....including some '50's and '60's Old Fitzs.

But I'd rather pay $50 for an oz taste than $600 for what turns out to be a nice looking bottle and box.

Good luck to all bidders.....Gazebo fodder!

Randy

It was just a year or two ago ....$100 or so could get you some very good old,old whiskies. alas frown.gif

I've had that experience myself with old bottles, it is a risk that comes with

the bottle when you buy one. There's another risk when you have it shipped

most of the time the cork can't take the trip and start leaking in the box cry.gif

I bought 2 sets of the Crow Chessmen set (thats 64 bottles) and a little more

to find a few bottles that were in excellent condition. The whisky was nice

yum.gif but the decanters take up alot of room in my garage lol.gif

Yes the Old Fitz is getting expensive but buying in groups is better then

buying a shot at a bar, we could all have fun.

We could even go to the SW in Louisville and do tasting there under the

Old Fitz chimny.

Anybody in? smile.gif

Koji

Well...I took a swing at the Old Fitz. Struck out!!! frown.gif

Ah, but that's our other Randy in the lead. I'm in for a shot/share, if necessary.

This auction begs the question. What would the infamus VVOF go for on ebay if this bottle is already over 500 and probably will go over 650.

That's the VOF, is that the same as the VVOF? Yes, I am a newbie, but I am always facinated by the rare sprits of the world.

My guess is that it will go for around $650 to $750. But not to me......I've got enough older whiskey here.

Randy

Wow! It went for $1,053.88. I suspect that's some kind of record.

I wonder who harmonyhill1 is. Anyone here? He's already paid and got postive feedback - in less than an hour.

He's bought an Old Fitz belt buckle and a one gallon full jug of Old Fitz as well as an empty one. Really into the stuff, I guess.

Jeff

...I wonder who harmonyhill1 is. Anyone here? He's already paid and got postive feedback - in less than an hour.

He's bought an Old Fitz belt buckle and a one gallon full jug of Old Fitz as well as an empty one. Really into the stuff, I guess...

Anybody you know, Julian?

I don't know, is a '58 *12* year old 'Very' Old Fitzgerald the same as a 'Very Very' old???

It has the same gold flake bottle and is 12 years old vs. the normal 8 for a 'Very' old.

That's the VOF, is that the same as the VVOF? Yes, I am a newbie, but I am always facinated by the rare sprits of the world.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.