How old is Kentucky Spirit?

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know there isn't a hard and fast answer to this but "approximately" how old would you expect it to be? To me, it comes off as older the Russell's Reserve @ 10. I haven't tried the 12. And it doesn't seem as old as Tribute.

Anyone every asked Jimmy??

Thanks!

Ken

It seems likely that Kentucky Spirit is a combination of whiskeys of different ages.

This raises an interesting question about specific age statements and whiskey "maturity."

One thing I find funny about recent developments in "wood management" is that distillers will now take whiskey they intend to sell at a certain advanced age and actively retard its maturation--by placing it in a cooler section of the warehouse, for example--so that it doesn't overage by the intended fifteen years or whatever it may be.

It seems likely that Kentucky Spirit is a combination of whiskeys of different ages.

Er, are you sure about this? Has KS, then, ceased to be a single barrel? Or are you perhaps mistakenly referring to Rare Breed which fits that description?

Anyways, I´ve heard somewhere that KS is (or was) supposed to be eight years old. I can´t for the life of it remember where I got that info, though.

Er, are you sure about this? Has KS, then, ceased to be a single barrel? Or are you perhaps mistakenly referring to Rare Breed which fits that description?

Anyways, I´ve heard somewhere that KS is (or was) supposed to be eight years old. I can´t for the life of it remember where I got that info, though.

Yes, you're right.. KS is a single barrel, but without an age statement.(Each bottle does however indicate a bottling date, but this is of little value in defining the whiskey's age).

Whoops, sorry. Brain fart on my part. I'll amend. As a single barrel, it's probably in an age range, but any barrel they find that hits the taste profile, regardless of actual age, is fair game. That's probably why they don't restrict themselves to a particular age.

As Dave concured, KS is a single barrel product. I should have mentioned that in my question when I said it is not possible to specifically date it as each barrel will likely be somewhat different. That said, there is probably a range that would apply. If this is only 8 yo, it is one heck of and eight year old! I would expect it to be more along the lines of 12-14yo.

Chuck raises a very good point. I've noticed it between distillers (some in brick, some in metal rickhouses) and very obvious when you look at Scotchs, some aged 30+ years. Temperature etc matters! I'm not sure how you could ever standardize that to get the equivilant to say a degree/day. Bottles would then be labeled 8 standard years whether it took 5 or 10 actual years to get that amount of aging..... This is making my head hurt.... I need to go back to my KS and ask it how old it is again lol.gif

Cheers,

Ken

It says 8 years in the yellow Jim Murray book.

Well, there you go. Jim should know.

Thanks!!

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.