Cooking with bourbon

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Every year my wife makes a bourbon pecan pie at Thanksgiving. Every year I hand her either WTRB or WT101. It was 101 this year.

I for one am totally envious!   I wish I could partake.     Please tell me how wonderful it was... and spare no detail, no matter how insignificant it may seem.   ?   Thanx in advance.  :D

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I for one am totally envious!   I wish I could partake.     Please tell me how wonderful it was... and spare no detail, no matter how insignificant it may seem.   ?   Thanx in advance.  :D

Ambrosia. This may be the only pie I ever need.

(OK....I need more than one pie but it really is that good.)

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The wife made some bourbon, chocolate chunk and pecan cookies before Christmas. She used some OE7BP for that batch. She’s said they were a lot of work and wouldn’t be made again. Well, She surprised me for V-day today with another batch. She couldn’t remember what she used last time. She grabbed some LBP. Will be enjoying later after a nice diner.
Adjustments.jpg

• I like it 3

21 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

The wife made some bourbon, chocolate chunk and pecan cookies before Christmas. She used some OE7BP for that batch. She’s said they were a lot of work and wouldn’t be made again. Well, She surprised me for V-day today with another batch. She couldn’t remember what she used last time. She grabbed some LBP. Will be enjoying later after a nice diner.
Adjustments.jpg

Those look AMAZING. Chunky. I've never heard of bourbon cookies.

14 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Adjustments.jpg

Any chance you get get the recipe she used?

I've used bourbon soaked raisins/craisins in oatmeal raisin cookies for years (in fact baked some this morning for a gathering tonight!), and have done bourbon fudge - but those look amazing!  

I've used bourbon soaked raisins/craisins in oatmeal raisin cookies for years (in fact baked some this morning for a gathering tonight!), and have done bourbon fudge - but those look amazing!  

I’ll see if I can get it.
  • I like it 1

Here’s the recipe.

https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/12-days-cookies-baker-natures-brown-butter-bourbon-pecan-chocolate-chunk-cookies/
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

Awesome - thanks chief!  Definitely going to have to give this a try!  I can see where the brown butter is an extra pain in the @#$%, but sounds like they're well worth it!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Steve Raichlen's Rum-Smoked Salmon became Bourbon-Smoked Salmon:

IMG_4299.thumb.jpg.89df281f74a6e4daea789b3db655e493.jpg

And the sous-chef claims stopsies:

IMG_4300.thumb.jpg.298d7a05ca3601800d2d7edee05cbb70.jpgIMG_4305.thumb.jpg.1a09d78eac59965758f5a497fb8d1b73.jpg

Curing for a few hours:

IMG_4306.thumb.jpg.8ea779f96eec8cc6bde461032f2993c4.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, marshall9779 said:

Finally got around to making these today.

Pretty darn good!

Made some brown butter banana bread as well, while I was at it.

I bet you’s guys just use regular shelf stock bourbon for cooking.... :P

1BE4C25C-3000-48A0-A287-6DD06A0749D2.jpeg

CBEF4705-52D7-4F77-988F-6A8F34367030.jpeg

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

Pretty darn good!

Nice. 

6 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Nice. 

(I actually followed your wife’s lead and used OE 7y BS.

I like how rich and flavorful it is, and thought it would work well.)

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Pretty darn good!

Damn...? I love banana nut bread

• I like it 1

Made some bourbon banana nut bread last week.  Had fresh ground cardamom and almond flour. Used Early Times BIB. If I make it again I won't do the banana slides embedded in the top. They didn't last beyond a day or so before they got kinda gooey. The bread itself was good. Wife didn't care for it so about half of it went to waste. I should have frozen it.

20200421_133741.jpg

On 4/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Clueby said:

Made some bourbon banana nut bread last week.  Had fresh ground cardamom and almond flour. Used Early Times BIB. If I make it again I won't do the banana slides embedded in the top. They didn't last beyond a day or so before they got kinda gooey. The bread itself was good. Wife didn't care for it so about half of it went to waste. I should have frozen it.

20200421_133741.jpg

interesting.

im glad you commented on the long cut bananas, because I thought about it (After seeing yours) for a few seconds before I made mine.

My recipe called for caramelized brown sugar chopped pieces of banana though, and ultimately I decided that was more my style.

I bet the ET BiB is great for cooking.

?

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

interesting.

im glad you commented on the long cut bananas, because I thought about it (After seeing yours) for a few seconds before I made mine.

My recipe called for caramelized brown sugar chopped pieces of banana though, and ultimately I decided that was more my style.

I bet the ET BiB is great for cooking.

?

It did work pretty well. If I make it again I'll use a bit more bourbon. It got a little lost. This recipe used 2 mashed bananas inside the bread and the 3rd on top. I would just mash up the 3rd with the first too. I also had whole cardamom seeds that I tried my best to crush with a rolling pin. Don't have a mortar and pestle and couldn't find the coffee/spic grinder.

• I like it 1

On 4/30/2020 at 12:39 PM, Clueby said:

20200421_133741.jpg

Shades of The Velvet Underground & Nico, inspired by Lou Reed?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.