Hypothetical question about 10 bourbons

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a hypothetical question for now, but could turn into a taste test/article in a magazine depending on how it goes.

If I had to pick 10 bourbons of ANY value, but of decent availability to be tested and rated, what would be a good 10 bourbons to write an artcile with?

A few clarifications:

1) Limited quantity bourbons like Pappy 23 can be included.

2) Something hirsch 16 can be included, but Hirsch 20 cannot since it's too difficult to find and get a sample from it.

3) Price is of NO object. Distillers's Masterpiece, if deemed worthy, could be added. I don't know much about it except that it's expensive.

4) We want upper echelon bourbons if such a category exists, but with some dynamic od range.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could help me with this,

Evangelos

I humbly submit the following list, in no particular order, on the condition you don't ask me to justify my choices.

1. Elijah Craig 18 y/o (the ultimate expression of the charred oak influence)

2. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (I would substitute the 12 y/o if it were still being marketed across the USA.)

3. Rock Hill Farms (defines "bourbon" to my taste; robust; touches all the bases)

4. Eagle Rare 17 y/o (compare it to fine cognac; it will hold its own)

5. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 y/o (I still haven't opened my bottle of this one, but its breeding is impeccable.)

6. Elmer T. Lee (a spicy flavor like no other)

7. Virginia Gentleman 90 proof (perhaps not in anyone's top 10, but included here to provide additional "range", as you put it)

8. A.H. Hirsch 16 y/o (probably should be excluded because of diminishing availability, but provides "range" in a manner like no other)

9. George T. Stagg (choosing which release is problematic; I'd simply go with the latest release because of availability)

10. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (see previous comment)

If the Hirsch were to be ruled out, I'd like to put in its place Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 y/o. I know it's not bourbon, but it's a close cousin -- and IMO deserving of a place in any top 10 list of American whiskey.

Others I wish the list had room for include Baker's, Wathen's and Old Grand Dad BIB (which I prefer to the more expensive 114 proof version).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Great list Dave! I would exclude the Virginia Gentleman, the Hirsh 16 (sadly, but for the reason you state) and add 1792 Ridgement Reserve and Jefferson's Reserve.

Just my $.02

Ken

Your justifications were great. I am definitely keeping the Hirsch Reserve 16 in there. Pappy 23 is probably a definite also. So, I guess I need 8 more. Maybe 2 as alternates just in case availability becomes an issue.

I won't presume to list 10 bourbons as the original premise asks, but I'd think that you'd want to run the entire gambit from top to bottom shelf so that you can cover the whole economic spectrum of the readers of your article. If I had a Jim Beam White pocketbook what good would it be for me to find out about Pappy 23? Let those less fortunate know that bourbon does NOT have to be expensive to be good.

I won't presume to list 10 bourbons as the original premise asks, but I'd think that you'd want to run the entire gambit from top to bottom shelf so that you can cover the whole economic spectrum of the readers of your article. If I had a Jim Beam White pocketbook what good would it be for me to find out about Pappy 23? Let those less fortunate know that bourbon does NOT have to be expensive to be good.

So you are suggesting AAA or VOB???

Ken

I had a typo before, Pappy 23 will not be in the list, but I think Pappy 20 definitely will be in the article.

We do want to run the gambit, but we want to touch on "excellent" bourbons since we can only feature 10.

Hey folks... 1st post. I've been lurking for a while, thought I'd join in.

I've been assembling a similar but smaller tasting when a couple of good friends are visiting the last weekend of the month. In no particular order, what I've got so far is:

Jeffersons Reserve 15

1792 Ridgemont Reserve

Hirsch 16

Pappy Van Winkle 15

Buffaloe Trace

I'd like to add one or two more, but in my case, I've already pushed my budget, particularly with the Hirsch. Any recomendations to round out the field?

Since I won't be paying for these bourbons, I added that price is not relevant, we just want excellent bourbons in the article.

One more thing, the article category is called Top Shelf. If it makes it to a magazine! Thanks again guys!

Well, I can certainly say Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr belongs, but maybe Old Rip Van Winkle 90 proof for contrast. Then maybe AAA 10 STAR (value), since it is much more readily available than 10 year, and rounding out the rest:

Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond, just for grins-you could always blame the government and because it is B in B

Booker's Baker's or Knob Creek- one from the Small Batch Collection

Jim Beam, because it is EVERYWHERE

1792 RR, but only because it is the only Barton's with large distribution

Wild Turkey 101, because most people have heard of it

Evan Williams SB Vintage for a single barrel

And one cult find, such as Noah's Mill or Four Roses

I chose these not because they are my favorites, but because I hope with their diversity they are discussion worthy.

George T Stagg

ORVW 15 107

WT Rare Breed

Bakers

Corner Creek

Sam Houston

OGD BIB

Elmer T Lee

Elijah Craig 12

Evan Williams SB

Not the most expensive, but a very solid roundup. I can't believe I made a top ten list without Blantons, or Old Rip lot B.

Lot B failed to make my list only because the bourbon going into the bottle has recently changed (per Julian). I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt, but after my response to the replacement for ORVW 15/107 I cannot. The PVW 15/107 is a worthwhile bourbon, but IMO it is no match for its predecessor.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

For the eight others, I would choose:

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Rock Hill Farms

Elmer T. Lee

Blanton's

Booker's

Eagle Rare 17

Old Grand Dad 114

Tim

I like the lists so far -- I'd choose mine to make sure each of the distilleries are covered, and I'd make sure that one of the extra-aged Kulsveens is on there (some have suggested Jefferson Reserve 15 but I haven't tried that myself!)

How about:

Elijah Craig 18yo

Pappy 20

AH Hirsch 16yo

Eagle Rare 17yo (or George T Stagg)

Black Maple Hill 21yo (or Classic Cask)

Bookers

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (or Tribute; I personally prefer KS)

1792 Ridgemont Reserve (or VOB 100)

Virginia Gentleman "The Fox"

Too bad that Maker's Mark Select (Black Seal) isn't available in the States -- the red wax isn't "top shelf" enough for this list. There are a number of other tastes from distilleries already on the list -- OGD 114 or EWSB, for example. Corner Creek might work, too, as a unique taste, and of course there are many other BT products that would fit well as others have suggested.

Ah then that makes a WORLD of difference. My Ten Top Shelf would be:

Stagg

PVW20

VW Lot B

Rock Hill Farms

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (unless you can find a 12yo)

Elijah Craig 18

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Wathans

Black Maple Hill 14 or 16

Booker's

There is a wide variety here from many different distilleries that would provide a cross section of the industry as well as for the top shelf itself. I put in two VWs because each is completely different from the other and outstanding each in its own way. As others have said if I had an honorable mention category for these it would have to include Rowan's Creek, Woodford Reserve and Ridgeford Reserve 1792 to give a more complete cross section. They will each stand toe to toe in my book.

Thanks for the lists! They are great!

One thing I am unclear on. What is the talk about Lot B? I think I am missing something here.

"Lot B" = Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old Lot B. Was Stitzel-Weller distillation until very recently, now Bernheim, I think. Very tasty.

I've tried the 1st edition of Distiller's Masterpiece -- what makes it unique (besides the price) makes it less like bourbon, in my opinion.

Is the VW Special Reserve 12 year always a Lot B? Or do I need to find a specific marking on the bottles?

Is the VW Special Reserve 12 year always a Lot B? Or do I need to find a specific marking on the bottles?

b12y904pls.jpg

For Christmas last year, my daughter gave me a bottle of the first Distillers Masterpiece, 18 years old, Cognac Finish. I have had two small samples, I just can't bring myself to drink a two hundred dollar bottle of Whiskey. The two samples revealed a very intense Bourbon (Jim Beam in the barrel for 18 years is going to be intense) with a very complex taste structure. Whether or not it has toffee or floral or hazlenut notes in the taste I don't have a clue. All I know is that it is a big hairy Bourbon with a bunch of flavor, and someday I will have a good enough excuse to drink a bunch of it.

There were two Distiller's Masterpiece released. The 20 year old had a port wood finish and came across really odd to me. Sorta like a bad scotch that didn't know which way to go. The 18 year old finished in brandy casks was much better. IMO.

Also, any thoughts on Jim Beam's Distiller's Masterpiece? Has anyone tried this one?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.