WR Four Grain

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm no expert. But I've got to agree. Seams like too much yeast. I brought several bottles back home assuming the best. They'll look good on the shelf I guess.

Dahlrod

So really, why would anyone want to find another bottle like this at nearly 80 bucks? Let's admit it. WR missed the mark.

This was a great idea, the four grains and all. WR should be applauded for this effort. I think we all expected great things. And there certainly are a wealth of rich flavours in the background. But that overpowering, yeasty nose and initial taste just won't go away. I've been trying for weeks now.

I am sure that this impressive looking, mostly full bottle will remain impressive, and mostly full on my shelf for many years.

Dahlrod

I agree with you.

I'm not sure if the yeast is the issue (it may be). Theories abound, from not enough age, to too much rye, to the effect of all-pot still production on an American straight whiskey.

My suggestion is to blend it with other whiskeys in your bunker, try, say, 1/3rd Maker's, 1/3rd WR Four Grain, 1/3rd Old Charter 8 years old (or many other good, "line" bourbons, e.g., Early Times, Jack Daniels, Ancient Age). Use in other words corn-heavy straight whiskeys to absorb the "excess" flavour in the WR Four Grain. You will get a full, rich drink, informed by the Gothic taste of the WR Four Grain but in a positive way.

Gary

Another thing you could try would be to decant half of it into an empty bottle, and let air work on it for a while. One SMSW that I tried (Isle of Jura 10yo) got a lot better when it sat in a half-full bottle for a while. No guarantees, though...

I don't know Gary but if I paid 80 bucks for a bottle of whiskey, I sure wouldn't want to have to blend it with something else to make it palatable. Personally, if I had purchased this bottling with no previous knowledge of it and found it to be as wretched as I actually did, I would make sure it occupied a top-shelf-center location as a constant reminder that price and rarity do not insure that what's inside is good. And probably would put a sign on it saying "not fit for human consumption".

I wouln't buy it (or many bourbons) to blend it but if you buy something and unexpectedly find it disappointing, why not put it to good use rather than let it languish? The more I think of it, a judicious use of WR Four Grain could be a great way to improve some wheat-recipe bourbon, which some find a little bland, or other bourbons found wanting in the flavor department. Or use it to build an American whiskey-style product.

Gary

I went to a wine tasting at a local shop and sitting behind the counter are 4 bottles with names attached at $89.95.

Proprietor says people are calling from the far reaches to get a hold of this stuff. He wishes he was allocated more. I asked his opinion, which I respect when it comes to wine, and he says, "Its the best bourbon I've ever had". I asked what he liked about it. Every word out of his mouth sounded like S&^%H description. I guess we found the market niche. A bourbon so unique, its not bourbon except by definition. When I started to think, it made sense. Some of the flavors and character that turn me off to scotch are very prevalent in this product.

Let's hear from the S*&^h drinkers!!!!

Has WR hit on the first big crossover bourbon?

toast.gif

Normally I would agree with you completely Gary, but I think you have things backwards. Adding WRFG to another whiskey to improve it is like adding french fries to catsup to make the catsup taste better. smilielol.gif I could add a 5 dollar bottle of bourbon to the WRFG and it MIGHT taste better. But then again it might make the 5 buck upchuck taste worse....

I'll stick to keeping it in plain view to remind me to taste the grape before buying the vinyard.

hopefully the next few releases (if they decide to keep making it) will be increasing better to the point where we look back 4 or 5 years from now and say "well the first version was really not that great but now its outstanding!"

Then it might be useful to have some of the first release to compare in a tasting against some hopefully much better stock years down the line.

Normally I would agree with you completely Gary, but I think you have things backwards. Adding WRFG to another whiskey to improve it is like adding french fries to catsup to make the catsup taste better. smilielol.gif I could add a 5 dollar bottle of bourbon to the WRFG and it MIGHT taste better. But then again it might make the 5 buck upchuck taste worse....

I'll stick to keeping it in plain view to remind me to taste the grape before buying the vinyard.

I'll still have some of the first bottling available for comparison since I'm sure not going to drink it! Except perhaps at gun point.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I will mix any. I'm actually having a great time with this stuff. I tell my friends about my vacation in Kentucky, then let them sample this "premium" whiskey I brought back. Their expressions are priceless. Some are even polite enough to act like they like it. But the facial contortions just don't lie.

I try to follow up with some Van-Winkle 12, or GT Stagg, to drive home the point that several of you have also made; price is decieving.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect what appears to be a somewhat painfull thread... but does anyone know a retailer with WR 4 grain that ships?

Thanks,

John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.