"Medallion" Jack?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw a bottle of Jack Daniel 90 proof with a kind of metallic medallion in the center of the front label. Different shaped bottle from the usual and different from Single Barrel and Gentleman. Store owner told me this is released once a year around this time. Has anyone seen this? It went for about $40, this was in a store whose prices are higher than normal because it is in Times Square. I wonder if this was brought in to appeal to those who miss the old 90 proof (from way back), but again the ownder said it comes out every year.

Gary

Gary

I believe that this is part of their "Gold Medal" series. I have the "1914" edition. I've never tried it, I just kinda put it over in my "collectible bottle" corner(w/ the Makers bottles). They seem to be just bottles to celebrate all of their wins from back in the day.

OPEN IT!!! Seriously, $40.00 is about right. It's good stuff, higher proof than regular Jack and not as much of the charcoal flavor though.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would add my little comment about a bottle of 1954 JD...I have never really been a fan of bourbon(American whisky) but I too have bottles in the Gold Medal series of which I have purely for collecting then I had the fortunate opportunity to try the 54' and I must say...WOW yum.gif This was exceptionaly smooth with a nose and flavours of cinnamon and vanilla. I didn't find this to be too strong on the charred flavour and the lingering after taste and mild spices on the tongue has made me a bit of a fan of JD now. I will have to try other JD bottles soon and compare...

Cheers to all toast.gif

That is VERY interesting. Altough many historical bottles are mentioned here and some tasted, I have never seen a report on a bottle of Jack Daniels from before the 1990's let alone from 1954.

Many here would be interested in your side by side of that bottle and a current Jack Daniels (of any proof but Single Barrel would be useful due to its 94 proof).

Today Jack is characterised by a licorice-like flavor with a light "shellac"-like overtone.

Was the '54 like that? Are the two Jacks 50 years apart recognisably the same or are they very different?

Many thanks for your further views.

Gary

Is the "1954" (or other year statements) product refered to here from 1954, or is this a current reproduction of the style of bottle used in a particular year?

I had thought, like "throwback" sports jerseys of previous eras (1954 NY Giants "The Giants win the Pennant, The Giants win the Pennant", etc.) Brown-Forman was recreating a nostalgic look. And filling the bottle with higher proof, longer aged product and/or honey barrels.

Roger

I'm guessing he's talking about this:

"This special bottle is the sixth in the Gold Medal series and honors the 1954 Brussels, Belgium star of excellence"

post-1106-14489812103403_thumb.jpg

Okay, I think I see. However if this gentleman or anyone else really does have a Jack Daniels from, say the 1970's or earlier it would be interesting to do a comparison with a current bottle.

Gary

Hi guys, yes Tim that is the bottle that I am speaking in reference to. My apologies if I gave the impression that I was drinking a JD from <font color="blue">1954</font>. blush.gif

Troy @ Bar Items Plus

Just as an FYI, the entire collector series commemorates the awards JD won in the past. The juice inside the bottles does not vary from the standard fair.

Ken

The "juice" inside is 90 proof. Standard is 80 and I have had both...they are quite different...and it's not just the proof

• 2 weeks later...

OPEN IT!!! Seriously, $40.00 is about right. It's good stuff, higher proof than regular Jack and not as much of the charcoal flavor though.

This discussion got me curious so I bought and opened a bottle yesterday. My vote, keep it in the bottle. Sorry. Admittedly I'm not a big JD fan so I was silly to expect this might be very different. It isn't. Yes, it's 90 proof but it's still, very clearly JD. I'm sure if you enjoy JD you'll love the 1954 bottling but I actually regret buying it. It was $35, that's almost a bottle of Kentucky Spirit. Oh well, the bottle looks good in the bar. I suspect it will stay there a long time.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.