Russell's Reserve

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just had my first taste of RR 101 this weekend. WOW. i was impressed. Really reminded me of Spring 05 Stagg in a lot of ways.

Now I have to go out and find all the 101 before the 80 proof hits the shelf. I was at my local liquor store and the owner showed me a "new" bourbon he just got in.....Russell Reserve 80 proof. I said "hmmmm yeah....see these other bottles you have here?, it's the same product but less proof." He was kinda bummed. I think the distributor pushed it as a "new" product.

. Let me know when RR 101 comes back on the market and I may retract............don't hold your breath now, you might turn blue!

The new Russell's Reserve is 90 proof (not 80) let's not give them any ideas. I'm honestly not so sure it's the same as the 101 + water. It has a very tastey but different profile (to me). I like the 101 better. It has a heavier, fuller taste with more wood than the 90. The 90 is fruitier and maybe some berry flavor in there. Maybe this is all effect of the dilution, I have no idea. It really confused my local store until I explained what Wild Turkey had done (the whole same UPC code thing is just WRONG!). Their computer system is UPC based and it wouldn't let them enter the "new" product. Anyway, I'm buying all the 101 I can find in the mean time.

Ken

thanks for the correction. I kinda just threw out the 80 from memory. which was wrong.

I can understand the UPC thing from their perspective. If they create a whole new UPC then there is a lot more red tape to go thru to get it approved thru distributors, etc. By using the same UPC, you really don't have to do too much to get it on the shelves.

I guess it would've been nice if they could've kept the 101 and made a new product. looks like basically a new idea on marketing this product to a broader market segment.

I would be worried if the 90 proof was the same taste profile as the 101. TO me the richness and sweetness of the 101 is expertly balanced with the 101 proof. I would think that less proof would make it way too sweet for my taste.

but if the whole taste profile is different, that may make it better.

I can understand the UPC thing from their perspective. If they create a whole new UPC then there is a lot more red tape to go thru to get it approved thru distributors, etc. By using the same UPC, you really don't have to do too much to get it on the shelves.

Yeah, and through ABC boards as well, eh?? I have never seen something "new" show up here so quickly. Many things are no longer available before they are 'approved'. I hate that!

I guess it would've been nice if they could've kept the 101 and made a new product. looks like basically a new idea on marketing this product to a broader market segment.

That would sure have my vote. Honestly, I'd have bought both, probably at the ratio of 6 Kentucky Spirits to 3 RR101 to 2 RR90.

I would be worried if the 90 proof was the same taste profile as the 101. TO me the richness and sweetness of the 101 is expertly balanced with the 101 proof. I would think that less proof would make it way too sweet for my taste.

I agree, 101 is the perfect proof for Wild Turkey products. It really lets the Bourbon shine.

but if the whole taste profile is different, that may make it better.

There is still some in that bottle. I think that's tonight's pour. Great idea.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.